Star Trek: Online

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by tranya, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aeolusdallas

Aeolusdallas Captain Captain

The whole point of MMOrpg's is that you never win/complete them.

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

That's been a problem with STO for me. After a couple months of playing, the character was maxed out, and couldn't advance any further. For a game that wants me to play for years, I shouldn't finish everything but the daily games in a few months of casual playing.

And the episode releases are great, but having to wait a couple of weeks for a couple hours of scripted play isn't exactly cost effective if you have to pay the subscription the whole time...

3. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been saying it since the beginning... When you stop grinding, no matter if you maxed out or not, and just play for some time of escapism and fun with other people that doesnt matter at all. It stays fun and the occasional new content keeps it fresh enough.

4. Commodore_Rook

Commodore_Rook Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well with this game, it pays to pace yourself. Until they ramp up the end game content, there is no point in rushing or grinding. I have been playing the game since headstart last Feb 2, and my main is still just a Captain 6. Granted, I have not been able to play for the last four months due to deployment to Iraq, but will be back for the one year anniversay. I fully plan on getting him up to Rear Adm as soon as possible, ONLY due to the fact all the cool ships and items are for RA+. (I will still keep him at Captain rank however as I have no desire to be a RA).

This is one thing that has really disappointed me about the game and is the rank structure. The lack of a Ltjg and Commodore really messed things up. I would happily be a Commodore, but don't want to be a RA. The fact Captains get NOTHING special, even thou Captains were the main character in every series. When you make Captain in rank, it is bitter sweet and merely another rank you have to grind thru to get to RA. Now there are hundreds of RA's and above flying around, scanning 5 rocks samples and the like.... which is totally unrealistic.

5. Aeolusdallas

That honestly isn't any different than other MMO's. People have and do rush through WoW in a few weeks.

6. Timelord Victorious

It's you're choice to retain the title and rank pins of Captain. And I disagree about Captains getting nothing special. granted there is no special gear or ability, but they get the most cool ships. It's the Galaxy, Intrepid and Defiant!!!! How muchcooler can it get than the freaking hero ships of the actual TV shows?

7. Commodore_Rook

True, but at RA, you get the even better versions of these three ships (Galaxy has saucer sep, Defiant has cloak, and Intrepid has armor)

8. Timelord Victorious

Also true. But I don'r really care that much about the abilities. It's the vanity price to get the hero ships for free.
    That said, if they ever add a special captain's price I would suggest unlocking the ability to appoint an XO and department heads among your officers.

9. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

FYI - The part I bolded above is coming to STO. It's called the Crew Duty Roster (new feature) - and is one of the upgrades planned as part of the STO Season 4 Update (it was formerly known as the 'Crew System'); and it will allow players to do exactly as you describe above - and will allow special abilities and perks depending on the skills of the officers you place in XO, etc. positions.

10. Igard

Igard Lieutenant Red Shirt

That's great! More interaction with the BO's is always going to be a good thing.

Does this mean that we'll be able to assign a science officer as Chief Medical Officer? That would be nice. I don't know if it would negate the usefulness of the main Science Officer though...

11. Aeolusdallas

I would assume you would have both. A SCI officer skilled for medicine as your Medical Officer and one skilled in non medical skills as Science Officer.

12. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

I salute you for serving and hope your time there is without injury.

As for STO. The only thing I've heard at all about it going F2P is just rumor. The idea that since their other game is going F2P then that automatically means that STO will as well. Be it true or not, I guess doesn't really make a difference. But the argument itself is rather empty.

I hope it doesn't go F2P, as the games I've played of that type tend to be all about who has the most money. It would be sad if STO became like that. But if it does, I will probably still play. Heck I might play more often since I usually play for a month or two, take a break to play something else, then come back since I can afford more then one subscription game at a time being poor like I am.

13. Commodore_Rook

Well thank you it is my honor to serve. 23 more days till I get out of here!!

Anyhow, I doubt STO will go FTP anytime soon. Will it one day? Perhaps, but not anytime soon. They have too many plans for it and with every season (improvement) comes more people subscribing (or coming back!). The latest stuff really was a shot (hypo) in the arm!! I can't wait to play the time travel weekly set and get my TOS weapon set!

14. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

What I meant was that you could complete the proper missions that were assigned to you (although I'm guessing they could come up with an infinite mission script of "defend sector 2 or scan plannet y") and eventually becoem an Admiral with a decent fleet. (Thats all I really want)! Miss my single player games :)

15. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Amen - I'd kill for a good single player Trek game.

Though I still disagree with the opinion that it won't be F2P for a long time. I'd guess it's free by the end of the year.

16. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

I got stuck in a Moebius loop last night while in a shoot out with a Romulan landing party. You try to shoot the medics, but their shields are restored by the officers. You shoot the officers, they get healed by the medics. They shoot at my engineer, he gets healed by my doctor. They shoot at my doctor, he gets his shields restored by the engineer. It could've gone on for hours.

17. Timelord Victorious

That's why I usually alpha strike the medics. Focus the whole team on him until he drops. After that I go for the engineers and then finish the rest.
    Depending on who I fight my kill order is this:
    Klingons :
    Swordmaster, Officer, Targ Handler, Warrior
    Romulans:
    Medics, Scientist, Engineers, Rest
    Terrans:
    (Combat) Medics, (Combat) engineers, Tacs
    Cardassians:
    Interrogator, Gul, Gil, Glin
    Borg: Distribution Node, Medical Drone, Elite Tactical Drone, Heavy Tactical, Tactical, Drone
    Whenever I get Protodrone beam-ins I kill them first.

18. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    Manual aiming wouldn't do anything to fix this. The only question is whether your Boffs would block you from firing, or get shot and holler at you. :)

19. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

They had two of each, though. Both engineers/medics would heal the others whenever I focused fire on them. Finally I went nuts and started beating the crap out of one of them in hand-to-hand combat. They really need a shirt-tearing ability for the TOS uniforms.

20. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    In both Star Trek and the US Navy that inspired its rank structure, there is no Commodore rank anymore. It's called "Rear Admiral Lower Half" now in both. Why would STO have a rank that the source material got rid of a century earlier?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.