Is the Playstation 4 About to be announced??

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by AlphaMan, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's pretty common in Canada. All the big ISPs offer 60-80GB a month maximum.

2. AlphaMan

AlphaMan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There was a lot of him-hawing about Sony not showing the actual box last night. I really don't get. In my mind, tjhe form factor of the box itself is nearly irrelevant. I want to know what the box can do and why I should buy it.

3. AlphaMan

Sort of... :( but I lost this one:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02...wards-compatible-with-retail-or-digital-games

PS4 won't play digital or retail PS3 games.

4. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Yeah same here, I really don't care how it'll look.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Ummm.... No. I refer to the habit of modern technology these days never really being "off" and always sipping at electricity. Pretty much everything these days do it and it's part of the larger problem in the energy crisis. So to have a console that's always ready "on demand" sort of adds to a on-going problem.

6. PaulMarshall

PaulMarshall Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Oh man I can't wait to get one, too bad I had to spend all my tax money on medicine

7. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Unplug it. /or/ Plug it into a power strip or surge protector, and then turn that off.

No power leeching.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, if they're not willing to provide native PS3 support, I'm not willing to provide financial support.

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they'll miss you.

10. AlphaMan

Well... The ball is now in Microsoft's court. I expect that the it's best If they announce the Xbox 720 within a month or so. The longer they yeild the spotlight to Sony, the more detrimental it could be. They have to be somewhere on par at least. This will be a very interesting holiday season with 2 next gen consoles on the market duking it out. Consumers just might get some great deals out of it this Christmas.

One thing is sure... at least we can lay to rest the notion that the WiiU is a next generation console.

Going forward, I expect Microsoft to announce the 720 away from Pax East, GDC and E3. According to Joystiq, Sony generated as much buzz as an E3 that usually contains Microsoft, Sony, EA and Ubisoft. Microsoft can do the same only if they announce away from everyone else like that. They should announce familiar IPs and sequels to get the loyal 360 players hyped and save the new IP and heavy hitters for E3.

This is going to be an exciting year for gamers!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  11. Kelthaz

:rolleyes:

It's not about the specs, dude. It's about the games.

12. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do think the big N was wise to get their unit out before the others. I suspect the Wii U would have had a rockier launch coming after.

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

What "spotlight"? Sony announced a console that no one's actually seen in action yet. People are talking about it. So what? None of it matters until the consoles actually hit the market and have some games out. This whole notion of judging a console before anyone's even used it is just nuts.

14. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well Sony filled 2 of my3 criteria, no second hand game lock out and no constant internet required.......but it seems i cant bring my PS3 games with me, although i was not really worried about retail games, but i wanted to bring all my PSN bought digital games over to the PS4 as i simply have too many unplayed to just drop the system for the new one.

But it's not all bad, this way i can finish playing through them all once, then move the the PS4......which should be about 2015. lol

But system look's fantastic.

15. D Man

D Man Commodore Commodore

I don't get why backwards compatibility is such a big deal. My PS3 can't play my PS2 games...but my PS2 is still hooked up to the TV, sitting right next to the PS3. Unless you want to get ten bucks trading in an old system, what does it matter if a new system plays the old one's games?

16. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

My launch 60gig PS3 could play PS2 games. lol

But it's not really a big deal, it simply would have been nice and convenint for me personally if i could take all my bought digital content across to the PS4 and still play them.

How it would have worked with me is i buy a PS4 at launch, ditch the PS3, happily play all my PSN titles, very very occasionally get a PS4 game or sub to the PS4 version of PS+........while enjoying things like party chat on the new PS4.(I am assuming the PS4 is going to have some form of chat like XBlive).

But its not really a big deal, i can live with my PS3 for a good few more years. :)

17. Robert Maxwell

Some people want to be able to play those old games forever--even after Sony stops manufacturing the original system.

Sony would probably prefer to charge people to continue playing them via a streaming service.

18. Kelthaz

Okay, if you only play Sony games it's not a big deal. However, here is what I have hooked up to my TV:

- Wii (Gamecube BC and emulators from Atari 2600 - SNES)
    - N64
    - Sega Saturn
    - Sega Dreamcast
    - Xbox
    - Playstation 2 (PSX BC)
    - PC (Streaming and DVDs)

I really don't have the room to add a PS3, PS4, 360, Wii U, and 720 to that setup.

19. Robert Maxwell

Not to be rude, but your setup is atypically complex, and Sony and Microsoft have little reason to try to accommodate it. Sony is providing backward compatibility--by way of a streaming service that offers PS3 games. Presumably, you would have to buy them again. This allows Sony to make money off of those games again, which is likely the main reason they're doing it.

20. AlphaMan

:techman: Much respect!!

I had an Atari 2600 as a child and my college roomate had an NES/SNES. Later, I had a PS1 in 98" and nothing until my PS3 in 2009. I bought a 360 in 2010 and that's pretty much it. I plan to get both the PS4 and 720 in 2013/2014.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013