DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Batgirl #1 was good. i was curious how they would pull it off and i'm curious to see where things are going. also, Babs is the only one for who the new armor look is logical.

Swamp Thing #1 was ok. i'll stick around for a few issues just to see how things progress.

2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

I read Action Comics #1 and really liked it. I'll keep reading.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I absolutely LOVE Action Comics #1. It is funny that previous poster stated about it being Grant Morrison's Smallville because in the interview I posted last week he stated that he has never seen an episode of it but understood what they were doing so I'm not surprised this felt like that. The Lex Luthor in this is very interesting and totally reminds me of a young All-Star Superman Luthor!!! I seriously can't wait for more.

Also have read Detective Comics and I think it was scnj that posted about the cliffhanger...and wow...what an interesting new direction for the Joker. Daniels writing and dialogue was shit but that cliffhanger was enough to get me to continue reading to see it's resolution.

Really enjoyed Batgirl #1 as well. I am guessing that we will learn over the course of the first arc how Babs regained the use of her legs but I'm guessing it is through the use of advanced Wayne Tech such as nanobots or something.

Also most important question for those who read Justice League International...where is Skeets???!!!! I did notice Michael had on his Legion ring which I thought was a nice touch but where is the little guy? Nothing better have happened to him!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Some interesting comments from Yanick Paquette about his Swamp Thing run and issues connected to that:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=34287

5. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ok, my gradings so far...

Justice League #1
    I know a lot of people didn't particularly like this issue for one reason or another, but I thought it was ok. Jim Lee's art is beautiful as always, and I like the story setup. Sure, it was nothing revolutionary, but it was enjoyable enough. Grade: B

Action Comics #1
    This was very good. Grant Morrison's Smallville complete with a nod to Remy Zero's "Somebody saaaaaaaaaaaaaave me!" after the opening gambit. Morales' art is great, the story is well paced, and I like the way they've started off limiting Superman's powers so he can grow and evolve over the course of the series. Grade: A

Detective Comics #1
    Batman vs. The Joker. Nothing we haven't seen before, and nothing mindblowing, but still pretty solid none-the-less. Daniel's art is a lot better than his storytelling, but that's not to say his writing is bad, just not amazing. Bit of shock tactics for the final page, but I'm interested in seeing where they go with it. Grade: B+

Justice League International #1
    I wasn't originally planning on getting this, but I saw it on the shelf and thought I'd give it a go. Not bad at all. The actual storyline didn't blow me away, but I kinda like the writing and the characters involved. Some funny lines in it, like Booster defending himself from being accused of selling adult diapers. I can see a nice dynamic building between Batman and Guy Gardener. I'll be sticking with it for the forseeable future. Grade: B

6. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

As a segue the only book I picked up was Swamp Thing #1 and I did enjoy it. This is clearly one of the books that has ties to the "old" DCU. A freak natural(?) event happens causing birds to drop from the sky, in Metropolis. Bats to drop dead in the Batcave and fish to go belly up in the Ocean. Little cameo by Batman and Aquaman in each panel.

Superman however has a role in the book and he seeks out Alec Holland who has gone on a sabbatical following his resurrection in Brightest Day. An even Superman alludes to when he says, "Considering the events of the last year with you" or something similar.

Further more Superman makes a statement that seems to imply he has died before as well.
    [​IMG] Since I know we are loosely tracking what's new, old and retained thought some might like to see this.

Also, if your wondering, yes the lady in purple appears.
    [​IMG]

7. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those scans reminded me, what in God's name is ComiXology trying to do with the shading gradient thing toward the "center" of the "comic book"? That's missing the point, to say the least.

I know! It was delightful.

Anyway, I still think "Note to self, Batman: Green Lantern can handle anything." is worse/better, because it's both pretentious and syntactically wrong and factually incorrect.

That said, for the mythical new reader, I could see this being really, really obnoxious, should they not detect the joke.

As an aside, man, I would hate to have to color a Green Lantern book. MAKE IT SHINIER THAN THE AEGIS OF ZEUS!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Green Arrow #1.

If DC was going to make Green Arrow young like that, why did they use Oliver Queen? This book would kick ass with Connor Hawke.

9. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Never..? :)

[​IMG]

10. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't care about modern sensibilities. Superman throwing an abuser into (possibly through) a wall is all kinds of awesome.

11. Admiral_Young

Green Arrow reminded me a great deal of what "Smallville" did with him. The character of Naomi reminds me of Chloe Sullivan, and I agree with Allyn, this book would have been better with Connor not a redesigned, deaged Ollie.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Cause the guys in charge think if the character has a Silver Age component then we must use that as much as possible.

Silver Age Rules....or I'm convinced that's their mantra.

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Just a comment on the Jim Lee character designs, specifically, the gauntlets. Does he own stock in it or something? They all seem to have segmented armor gauntlets. It's like there's only one store. It just makes everyone look sorta the same... which is a little boring.

I look forward to the costumes changing as time marches on.

14. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got a comic where Superman throws Soviet aircraft carriers around for the pleasure of Ronald Reagan, too.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

This tough new attitude and rebellious streak of Superman's is definitely going to take some getting used to, but so far I think I'm liking it. Also cool seeing him have to struggle a lot more with everything.

Story definitely could have been fleshed out a bit more though. Morrison rushed through it all so fast, that it took me a couple read-throughs to understand what all was going on with the train and the hijacker and Lex and the businessman.

Batgirl was good as well. Unlike others, I never got into the whole Birds of Prey and Oracle thing, so I was perfectly fine seeing her back as the original Batgirl.

My favorite was probably Detective though. For some reason I've always had trouble accepting The Joker as being truly dangerous, but this time the sheer and utter madness of the character really came through strong. And of course the art was absolutely fantastic.

16. If Superman stumbles across a wife-beater... I want him to whoop the wife-beater's ass.

The idea that Superman would keep going, let him continue beating his wife, and call law enforcement and let them handle it......... is a summation of everything wrong with "modern" Superman. Fuck, I could do that. Some "Superman" you are.

17. Admiral_Young

^ The idea is that Clark is idealistic and naive which is why he doesn't do that. You are describing Midnighter who would do that in a second without thinking about it.

18. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

An interesting thing I noticed (which probably doesn't mean much) in Action #1 is that Lois was wearing a shirt with "Keystone City" clearly labeled on it.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

It's a Lois Lane from Earth 2!!!! SPOILERS!

;)

20. Admiral_Young

Speaking of Keystone City...I noticed that the relaunch has moved Ollie Queen to Seattle. Interesting. I assume that means Star City doesn't exist in this continuity any more?