Lost 5x11: "Whatever Happened, Happened"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 1, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

31.3%
  2. Above Average

45.3%
  3. Average

17.2%
  4. Below Average

4.7%
  5. Poor

1.6%
  1. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Why is it a dick move? From what Jack has seen of him Ben has only ruined people's lives.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Jack has always been a fanatic problem solver and life saver... for him to just sit back and watch this little innocent boy die on the table? Whatever happened to the Hippocratic Oath? Actually did Jack ever actually lay eyes on Lil'Ben? Maybe if he'd actually met him it might have changed his mind.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

You have a point with the oath but at the same time I understand where Jack was coming from.

4. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Does the Oath apply to the Temporal Cold War rules? ;)

I can definitely see where Jack was coming from...

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Did anyone explain the time travel rules to Jack at that point? Did he know that you can't change the future? 'Cause maybe he could have saved Lil'Ben's life and helped prevent him from being evil...

6. Sheep

Sheep Vice Admiral Admiral

Does the fact that they kind of redeemed Kate mean she's going to be the one killed off soon? :devil:

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I don't think she's redeemed, I think she's as annoying as ever... Incidentally does anyone think that when Aaron went missing in the grocery with that strange woman, that the woman was really one of Ben's people?

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

That's what popped into my head when Jack refused to help.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The camera did linger on her a bit and thought that maybe something was up, but then I quickly forgot about it.

10. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

I totally think that, he got someone who looked enough like Claire that Aaron would follow her.

11. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

jack may have been looking from the point of view of how many lives would be saved if ben died then.

12. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It does seem to me like Ben's being taken to the Others to save him is what made him evil. If Jack had saved him, he wouldn't have been. But with what he knew about Ben, he thought he was doing the opposite. Really, there is no way Jack would have saved Ben. Which is why I think if he had, things would have been different. That is to say, the whole series would have been different. But it seems like Jack's indifference to helping Ben is what created Evil Ben. Jack is the central figure in the show, and now we know why. I guess the show will end when Jack realizes he was a jackass and that if he'd fixed Ben up, the plane crash, Dharma being killed, everything; none of it would have happened. It all comes back to Jack. Ben might be responsible for a lot, but Jack made him that way.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

The preview for this week's episode sure overplayed the "one of us let him out" plot point.

14. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

The Kate/Aaron stuff made no sense in the context of Kate's scene with Jack in "316". If it was as simple as Kate deciding that she had to leave Aaron with Claire's mother, while she goes to search for Claire, why didn't she just tell Jack that? Why doesn't she tell everyone that? Why say "Don't ever ask me about Aaron again", which surely must freak Jack out? Doesn't Jack deserve to know that Aaron is OK?

I think the writers are too in love with the idea of turning everything into a mystery, even when doing so is uncalled for, and defies all logic.

15. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

Jack only agreed to help Ben the first time in exchange for escape after seeing Kate frakking Sawyer... the Oath didn't seem to be a concern then either, and Jack held him hostage on the table and threatened to kill him.

He's not exactly Marcus Welby... :p
    [​IMG]

16. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a very good post, a very good point. I know there's been discussion here before about the lack of communication between characters and it looks like they're right back to that old mainstay, i.e. nobody tells anybody anything.

Having a mystery for the sake of having a mystery has been one of the most annoying parts about this show.

17. Arlo

Arlo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought about this, and my only rationalization is that by telling Aaron's grandmother about the coverup/lies, Kate was breaking the pact the 6 made, and that would piss Jack off. Weak, I know, but there you are.

18. Capt. Vulcan

Capt. Vulcan Vice Admiral Admiral

My biggest problem with the episode. It was very Heroes like in execution, except this happened between several episodes instead of scene breaks like on Heroes.

It was a blah episode, I really didn't care for Kate's story with Aaron and all that. The time travel conversion was probably the most interesting part of the whole thing. Haven them create the monster Ben was a nice touch though.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The Kate mystery bit didn't bother me quite as much because Kate is an inherently f****d up person which is why I don't like her. As I said before, I would have found her drowning Aaron in the bathtub so he didn't have to go back to the Island to be as plausible as what happened. And it's a good point as Kate did break the pact to Cassidy (a con woman and opportunist for crissakes!) and Claire's Mom.

20. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The deal with Aaron did turn out to be rather anti-climatic didn't it? Much like the story of how Sayid ended up on the plane.

I thought it was interesting that when Hurley and Miles were talking about Ben, Hurley made the comment of something to the effect "Ben was on the one who made us get on the plane to come back."

To the best of my recollection (which is often faulty I admit) we haven't seen Hurley's "plane story." So I didn't know if that was a line just to fit in with the time travel debate Hurley and Miles were having, or if we're going to find out Ben threatened Hurley in some way to get him on the plane. Perhaps he kidnapped/threatened Hurley's parents?