Put George & Gracie on the Federation Council?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by 2takesfrakes, Jan 8, 2014.

1. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Narrow Minded"??? "Chauvenistic"???

You know ... you ... you people might think I'm all armour and nails, but when I get cut ... I hurt! And when I read these accusations ... I died inside ...

[​IMG]

It might even surprise you to know that I stopped eating meat, altogether, a few years back, because I couldn't jutify becoming a tomb for other creatures, anymore.

2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Swearing coming from Spock is funny, no matter how mild it is. Particularly when he's using it wrong.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm not "trying" to do anything. I'm passing along what recent scientific evidence has begun to demonstrate. Reality does not conform itself to our beliefs and prejudices; therefore we must conform our beliefs to the evidence. If you'd asked me two months ago whether I thought dogs were as aware as small children, I would've said no. I've never liked dogs or been that impressed by their intelligence. But now science tells me that they may very well have more awareness than we've realized, and since I'm a rational person, I modify my views to fit the evidence. Of course the evidence is inconclusive; it'll be a long time before we really understand how to define sapience or consciousness. But that's all the more reason to err on the side of caution and not be too quick to assume a life form isn't self-aware.

4. 2takesfrakes

Scientists have been known to put a spin on research to say whatever they've wanted it to, in order to keep that grant money coming in. And studies on the same subject often conflict with eachother, from year to year. Certain segments of the scientific community has even been known to publish outright lies - even NASA scientists. I am just trying to put that into its proper perspective, as well.

I grew up with family pets and people have known for a long time that their pets are capable of things like counting, for example. Even something as primative as an insect can count food items, given to its maggots. There's all kinds of stuff like this going on that does make you wonder ... what are these animals truly capable of? Just how "aware" are they? And even Human Beings, for all of our assured self-awareness, whenever we first came across it, we did not know what to do with it. Now, that's very compelling, to me:

For along time, Humans did not know what to do with their Human intelligence. They just wandered about and didn't really do too much different, as before. And if I were an alien visiting Earth at that time, who knows what I'd think about them? Maybe I would be secure in my certain knowledge that these Humans were no better or different than a humpback whale. Maybe a certain species, or two, is at that crossroads, but I'll tell ya ... none, so far, have been able to contradict instinct. The only animals, in fact, who have shown any ability to thwart Human entanglements and manipulation are certain viruses, like the Common Cold. If the animal world was so brilliant, they'd defy our driving them to extinction.

5. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

The hell it's funny.

--Sran

6. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

^The hell it is. And Spock saying the really nasty swear words like 'f**k' & 's**t' the same way we and Eddie Murphy does would have kicked ass and truly brought the house down.

At least Kirk in the new movies knows how to swear, with the ones that are truly still offensive.

7. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All I know about 20th century swearing I learned in Star Trek.

Fruity as a nutcake. LDS. Double dumbass.

8. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Spock swearing was funny because it had never happened before. He was still not quite fully recovered from fal-tor-pan, and was still relearning some of his "social game" (nearest phrase I can think of to explain it).

In the next couple of movies, Spock was recovered enough to look at a situation, and make the conclusion that it would be logical to use a "colorful metaphor." Since he wasn't doing it all the time (or even more than once or twice), it was more effective.

NuSpock is already too emotional. Adding copious swearing would just turn him into an ill-mannered human with pointed ears.

9. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree. Spock swearing should be reserved for the rarest of occasions.

10. 2takesfrakes

But ... Trelane, the Squire of Gothos had observed that TOS Spock, too, was ... "ill-mannered." He attributed this trait to Spock's Human half. So, you see that? The apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, NuSpock, Prime Spock, TOS Spock, Fal Tor Pan Spock ... it's all the same.