Your Favorite ST Love Story!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Red Ranger, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    People:

It's simple. Which of the many love stories in all the ST series really spoke to you?

I would have to say the first one, because of its tragic overtones. I'm speaking of Captain Christopher Pike and Vina, the lone survivor of the crash-landing on Talos IV, from The Cage and The Menagerie.

Vina's reason for staying, that she was disfigured, was made more poignant by the ending of The Cage: that the Talosians let her think Pike stayed behind with her. And then, Pike's terrible accident with the Delta Rays gave him a choice, to be with the woman he loved, especially now that they both had so much in common -- both physically maimed.

I just rewatched The Menagerie and this topic idea came naturally to me. And it's also the first official sequel in ST history, come to think of it.

One more thing: try to limit your favorite love stories to canon, eh? So 'shippers, take a cold shower!

Red Ranger

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Kirk and Edith Keeler. She was his Kobyashi Maru -- the no-win scenario. He was in love with her, but had to let her die to save a universe.

3. WendellM

WendellM Commodore Commodore

Agreed. She was in the Depression, but she had a sense of the positive things to come. How could Kirk not fall for that sort of optimism (when he knew that it was right)? And then to have to watch it die...

Gets my vote.

4. Evil_Kirkneivel

Evil_Kirkneivel Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The first one that came to mind for me was Picard and Lt. Commander Daren from the ST:NG episode Lessons (6.19). Wendy Hughes, the highly regarded Australian actress who played Daren, brought a naturalistic style to the role, and Patrick Stewart seemed seemed sincerely invigorated to be working with her. The chemistry between them seemed more than genuine.

5. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

Odo/Kira was the only one that I could take seriously, because it was literally gradually developed over years.

And Quark/ Natima Lang, which I could take seriously because the writers had the wisdom to give them a past relationship, off-screen, that was very well sold by Shimerman's immaculate acting. This went a long way to helping disguise that it was just another lame 'formula episode.'

Other than that, he "love interest of the week" episodes where the characters meet for the first time and the start of the episode, fall in love with around 20 minutes in, then the love interest is either dead or brainwashed or transported away by the end of the episode is just way too hokey, unbelievable & cliched for me to take seriously, thus all of them stick out to me as really bad 'formula episodes'.

6. Amy Sisson

Amy Sisson Writer Captain

Worf/Dax, easily. I loved "Looking for Par'Mach in All the Wrong Places." I loved "You Are Cordially Invited". I loved the fact that she could run Klingon circles around him!

I agree with the poster above who enjoyed the chemistry between Picard and Nella Daren.

7. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I can't think of any that I actually thought was believable, except the obvious one in Enterprise which has been shipped to death.

8. Rabittooth

Rabittooth Commander Red Shirt

Odo/Kira.

-Rabittooth

9. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

If you mean the one I think you do... I'm telling you for the last time, it would never have worked between Porthos and Riker.

10. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Yuk! :wtf:

Well, aside from Pike and Vina, my other favorite love story was a short one, but I always liked McCoy hooking up with the lovely Yonadan Natira from TOS ep For The World Is Hollow And I Have Touched The Sky.

Red Ranger

11. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Picard and his wife, Eline, from "The Inner Light". He grew to love her in time. It was a relationship which lasted for decades, even though technically it falls into the one-episode scenario.
    "Now we live in you. Tell them of us... my darling."- Eline

12. TheLonelySquire

TheLonelySquire Vice Admiral

You guys are way off! Easily the greatest love story in Trek lore is Kirk and the Enterprise. "Never lose you! Never!"

13. Dale

Dale Vice Admiral Admiral

Squire, you're right.

I did want to say, though, that I enjoyed the Kira/O'Brien lustful flirtation while she was carrying his baby. It was only a couple of episodes long but I dug that tension.

14. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

Wow, that made me tear up. Seriously. Pike/Vina, Sisko/Yates and Kirk/Keeler are high on the list, too.

15. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I honestly don't think romance was one of Trek's greatest strengths. There isn't a single relationship in the history of the franchise that I ever found to be compelling. I think part of it is that so many of the relationships were aliens-of-the-week, or were written so inconsistently that there was no point in getting emotionally wrapped up (Picard/Crusher or Riker/Troi, who kept teasing the audience without any real advancement over the course of the series).

16. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Kirk/Keeler was my favorite.

Odo/Kira was good in parts but I could never get over the feeling that they were just thrown together because they were two series regulars. And early on it was just painful...the Odo/Kira/Shakaar triangle. His choosing his love for her over the wholeness of Great Link made the romance astonishing. But Odo and Kira as friends was much more believable for me. His reaction to her at the end of "Necessary Evil" is one of DS9's greatest moments.

17. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a tough question, since love stories are certainly not Star Trek's strength. I think Garak's unrequited love for Bashir is my favorite of all time. Seriously. :D

18. Marcia12

Marcia12 Ensign Newbie

I agree. I used to like Tom and BElanna from voyager. but they got stale real quick. A real tv couple needs obsticles and a reason for the fan to root for them. the writer's of Star trek just didn't get it.

19. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

Spock and Leila Kalomi. I really feel for both of them.