House: Series Finale. "Everybody Dies." Discussion/Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, May 21, 2012.

?

Rate: (Choose one for each category, please.)

1. Episdoe: Excellent

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. Episode: Good

20 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Episode: Average

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Episode: Bad

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Episode: Terrible

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. Season: Excellent

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Season: Good

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. Season: Average

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  9. Season: Bad

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  10. Season: Terrible

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  11. Series: Excellent

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  12. Series: Good

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  13. Series: Average

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  14. Series: Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Series: Terrible

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

From TV.com:

House Medical Reviews

House, MD ends its eight-season run Monday night with a two-hour finale.

I thought for a series finale it was deserving of its own thread which would also allow us to have a (multiple question) poll.

Between now and when the finale starts (and even during) let's discuss the road this series has been on between here and there. Share favorite quotes and moments.

2. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

The preview indicated some sort of retrospective, so it's hard to tell how much of the 2-hour finale will actually be a new episode.

3. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

Whats the over/under on House dying? I got ten bucks that says he lives.

And the final diagnosis should be lupus.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I haven't watched a single episode since Season Four, debating whether or not to tune in for the finale anyway.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm an on and off watcher of House and I'm tuning in for the finale tomorrow. I've wtched it enough to want to see how it ends.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

As long as he puts the tights on and flies, I'll be happy.

7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Even if he does, they'll only show him from a distance so you can't actually make out the suit.

8. Trekker4747

So it's an hour-long retrospective and then the episode.

Interesting the episode begins with Hugh Laurie using his real, natural, English accent.

9. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I thought... These teasers are getting weirder and weirder. And why is House speaking with a british accent?

I wasn't expecting a retrospective.

As for the finale, it wouldn't surprise me if House dies and/or we see Cuddy make a surprise appearance.

10. Trekker4747

House is in.... Hell?

11. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah not really digging it thus far, but it's probably because whatever it's supposed to be is going right over my head.

12. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I have watched many episodes from the beginning of the series, not when they aired but over several months last year when I was unemployed. I didn't see all of them and stopped watching shortly after the new interns were chosen (13 and the rest) because I found the original interns much more interesting and it was disappointing not having them around full time anymore. I've seen a few later ones here and there.

I will likely tune into the finale tonight, mostly because all my other shows have ended for the season and I have nothing else to watch. It should be interesting.

13. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay, that was... unexpected.

Frankly, I was bored with the episode up until Cameron showed up -- and I was confused to the extent that I thought the episode was trying to imply that both Cameron and Stacy were dead. Obviously, they weren't, but the rules the episode seemed to be playing by suggested that they were. I liked seeing Andre Braugher again, even if it was just for a minute. The absence of Cuddy was... understandable.

It managed to be a little bit "The Final Problem" (with House having a public death) and a little bit "His Last Bow" (with House and Wilson going off and retiring together).

14. Agent Richard07

I was a bit "meh" on the episode and as I was watching, I thought that our ideas were better, but I liked seeing old faces again (didn't recognize Kal Penn at first) and loved the last few minutes quite a bit. In the end, that was a better way to go and made up for the rest of the finale. A shame we didn't get to see Cuddy though. I wonder what happened with Lisa Edelstein that made an appearance not come to fruition.

15. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know if it was because I was bored with the episode and not paying proper attention, or i'm just dense, but why exactly was House in that warehouse with that patient?

16. Trekker4747

Not to mince words but given that they're full-fledged doctors they're not "interns" they're in a fellowship so they're fellows.

Anyway, I found the Retrospective good and the final episode was interesting. When it seemed like House was dead it sort-of made sense especially when Wilson began his rant on what an ass House "was." It seemed to fit and to make sense given that House was an ass and all (but, again, I argue that's slightly "re-writing" the character he was in the first season) but when Wilson got the text I laughed as that ending somehow makes even more sense.

It's sad that Wilson is still going to die in a few months (I would have expected a last-minute miracle cure or something) and after that who knows where House will go from there, I'd suspect he'll do some doctoring in another country sort of like Bruce Banner or something. ;)

Cuddy's absence in House's hallucinations/funeral I think sort of stuck-out. She was a major part of the show for most of its run so one would have expected to see her. I'm also a bit disappointed that we didn't hear "You Can't Always Get What You Want" played as that was another of House's sayings/tropes along with "Everybody lies."

For a finale I'd rate it as "Good." I think as show finales go it did things mostly the best to end the show on somewhat of an expected tone and mood and it did it without assassinating a character or doing something stupid or pretty much rendering all of the previous episodes pointless. The season I'd say was Average as it you could feel the show was weighted by the tighter budget, new cast, the storyline(s) they had set them selves up with and by trying "too hard." It had many post-shark jumping moments in it of pure ridiculousness.

The series? I'm going to land on Excellent there, but only in terms of that 5-point scale. Pushed I'd give it 4-1/2 stars, an A-, etc. I think the show lost some footing in season 5 and once House got out of the Asylum I don't think it ever really completely recovered.

House, it's been a good run ad it's sad to see such a good show with such a talented actor sort of cough and wheeze to the finish-line but it was... Fun.

Her and the show's producers must not have left on the best of terms since I don't even think she was asked to come back for the finale. Though she was in the Retrospective.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

It wasn't exactly clear, and I was expecting the flashback to draw the line from the patient's discharge to the warehouse. The implication of the drug paraphernalia we saw in the teaser is that House went there to shoot up heroin with him.

18. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First off, I love the cameos of past characters in the series finale. Stacy and Nolan were the most surprising. I wasn't fond of Cameron who always seem overly sensitive or hung on an unfulfilled crush on House.

It pissed me off that they didn't show what happened between House curing the patient and House ending up in that building through flashbacks. I would have loved to see what was discussed in the session between House and Nolan.

The twist of House faking his death reminds of Sherlock Holmes doing the same thing which I assume wasn't a coincidence, concerning that the House character was based on the Holmes character. But, though the twist was a bit interesting, it left me wondering what was the point of that. I get that it gives House time to be with Wilson until he dies but what about after that? Eventually, House being alive would be revealed and he ends up back in prison longer than before. What happened to "I want to change"? I don't see any attempt of that at the end. Actually, the series ending is similiar to the end of last season: House doing something reckless and running away from the consequences of his actions in a temporary state of bliss. That ending I felt was unrealistic and made me hate House than love him or feel sorry for him. I rather the series ending was similiar to that of House Divided, Broken, or Help Me which were all emotionally profound endings to the House character which I felt the series ending didn't match up to.

19. Agent Richard07

That's what I thought too.

I like his new-found freedom and lease on life.

Eh... I don't like that song. I like getting what I want. :p

20. Trekker4747

House reasonably couldn't improve his life from where he was. He was going back to prison for a few months and likely longer if his disappearance was construed as him trying to skip town to avoid incarceration.

You could reasonably argue that House while on the run could go to a non-extradition treaty country and live out his life in some measure of comfort. Granted, I would have been happier if the show just ended with a "life goes on" thing with House and the "status quo" being maintained (he keeps his practice, Wilson is going to live, etc.) but this ending is sort of nice too. Yeah it opens questions up for a "what next?" sort of thing but, eh. Like I said depending on how you want to look at it anything could happen next. As I suggested above, House goes to some remote country and lives out his life being happy, non-miserable, running a bar or something on the beach.

Well, if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need.