House: Series Finale. "Everybody Dies." Discussion/Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Trekker4747, May 21, 2012.

?

Rate: (Choose one for each category, please.)

1. Episdoe: Excellent

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. Episode: Good

20 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Episode: Average

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Episode: Bad

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  5. Episode: Terrible

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. Season: Excellent

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. Season: Good

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. Season: Average

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  9. Season: Bad

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  10. Season: Terrible

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  11. Series: Excellent

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  12. Series: Good

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  13. Series: Average

2 vote(s)
    4.4%
  14. Series: Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  15. Series: Terrible

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    So House does end up with Wilson.

Too bad Lisa Edelstein couldn't have been on it, her absence was glaring with all the other old cast people back.

A neat ending to a rather mediocre episode.

I didn't like the "Wilson gets cancer" storyline thrust on us in the last four episodes. He deserved better as a character. He was neglected except for tragic storylines.(cancer and Amber dying)

the show had been running out of gas for a while and was well past its peak.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

About Chase taking House's position... A lot of you thought that he would become the next "House" or wanted to see it happen. Personally, I never saw it.

3. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Oh god, I've missed the entire second half of the season.

Oh well, time to tax my bandwidth.

4. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I assume Wilson and House are already hanging out in some non-extradition treaty country. Wilson can get House settled for a long retirement. I doubt anybody would question Wilson withdrawing all his cash, for instance.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Am I the only one that laughed at the Dead Poet's Society reference? Cause, you know, the actor that plays Wilson co-starred in it.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, I chuckled at that too.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

When Chase got stabbed and starred walking with a cane and then not shaving we assumed he was going to end up like House. Chase flat out said " I don't want to be like you" at the end of an episode

This episode felt more like a season finale written as a series finale.

-Robert Sean Leonard would have left
    -House would have to face repercussions for leaving
    -Some new patient of the week
    -Some joke concerning Chase in House's old office

"Get Out"

" I have to disinfect the whole office. Who knows how many interns Doctor Chase has had on my desk....and on my chair, and on the floor..."

8. The Mighty Monkey of Mim

The Mighty Monkey of Mim Commodore Commodore

LIVE ON STAGE AT THE ALHAMBRA, ONE NIGHT ONLY!
    He's in the burning building because he planned the whole thing. As the final stages of his plan proceeded as intended, he wrestled with his own self doubt about seeing it through. But ultimately, House gives up his life to spend the rest of his best friend's with him, and then to move on and find some new life away from the surroundings that would inevitably lead him back to his self-destructive ways. House finally succeeds in "destroying" himself, but without actually destroying himself and being relegated to eternal boring nothingness. He finally solves the puzzle of how to change and move on to a different kind of life.

Alternatively, House and Wilson both die and go to heaven!:lol:

9. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, wait. Yes, that's an obvious thing I missed!

The dental records were switched, but House couldn't have done that after his apparent death because he would have run a risk of being caught.

See, I was thinking that House lucked into a situation where he could walk away from his life and start fresh, but in reality it's clear that House set up the whole situation.

10. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For me that was a horrible episode with a horrible ending.

I didn't expect a happy, sappy ending (though I am a fan of them) but that IMO was episode and finale was just poo poo.

I have been a fan of House from the beginning and my biggest problem with the show is they would come up with an interesting story line and end it by the episode and then drag on the crap story lines on for ever (Tritter anyone?).

Anyhoo as someone above mentioned they show had it's run and ran out of gas a few seasons ago.

11. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

That's certainly one viewpoint. However there's another viewpoint. House also killed the patient and use the patient's teeth to fake his own death.

12. Caliburn24

Caliburn24 Commodore Commodore

The finale was underwhelming, more fitting for a season than the series. I think I feel that way at least in part because this whole Wilson-cancer thing that set everything in motion felt really rushed and not particularly organic. Also not having any sort of resolution with Cuddy was very unsatisfying. I would have given up all of the half dozen or so cameos for one Cuddy/House scene. Had they used this entire finale season to set the end up, instead of just the last four or six episodes it would have worked better.

I think the conspiracy theories about House planning everything are weak at best, considering the lengthy inner dialogues he was having throughout most of the episode. Also, he had no way of knowing that Foreman and Wilson were going to find him in the burning building, or that the roof was going to collapse at that moment. I think him faking his death was poorly written and overly convenient certainly, but not a conspiracy. It made me smile due to the overt similarity to the Holmes mythos however.

And the final shot of Wilson and House riding off together worked for me, despite not being fully satisfied.

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Overall, I liked the episode. Like others, I was disappointed at the lack of a return by Cuddy. The retrospective was also excellent, although I was having a hard time trying to decipher the existence of the clown. :confused:

The one thing I never understood: Knowing that House was supposed to be an homage to Sherlock Holmes, and in ALL of the seasons...we've never seen House's Moriarty. Someone of equal cunning and intellect who becomes the bain of his existence. Now, granted, Holmes solved crimes and House...well...didn't. And yeah, we did have Tritter and before that was Vogler, but neither of those guys could really measure up. I think they missed a big opportunity to send this final season out with a bang.

14. Agent Richard07

^ I've thought about the Moriarty thing too. What would his name have been on the show?

Holmes = House
    Watson = Wilson
    Moriarty = ?

15. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

House's Moriarty was Death.

16. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

In looking at the etymology of the name, an Anglicization of the full Irish name "Ó Muircheartaigh", it could conceivably be "Murtagh". Or we could deviate from the origins and use the first/last letter trope like "Murray", "Mallory", "Maury", "Morley", to name a few.

That is a good one - but could be considered a little too abstract for some viewers. That, and, not even House could ever beat Death.

I suppose it could even be House himself - he was already suffering from hallucinations and borderline sociopathy or some such dementia. It is possible that House could have eventually suffered from multiple personality disorder, with another intelligent and dangerous personality manifesting itself. That would have pushed him more into Jekyll/Hyde territory and away from Holmes, though.

17. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess that's what's bothering me about it. It just all seemed so contrived, and I've seen it before (fake death and dental record switch. :rolleyes:)

I also agree that the very end with House and Wilson "riding off into the sunset" was fine, and I supposed that scene was as good of a way to end it as any, but I wasn't too thrilled with how they got from point A to point B.

What would I have done different? I don't know, frankly I'm not sure what the proper conclusion to this wild ride should have been. But I just know that last episode left me unsatisfied.

18. Agent Richard07

^ A shorter run for the series, ending with "just another day" would have been good too. That was House.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

House's "Moriarty" was supposed to be the man who shot him at the end of Season 2. (Though never given a name on-screen, that's the character was called Jack Moriarty in the script.)

I'd almost argue the Season 6 finale with House and Cuddy hooking up would've been an ideal route to go with a finale.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  20. Agent Richard07

Were they planning to go somewhere with him but couldn't? The next season picked up months later and he was long gone.