If they had any bells...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TheWelshPirate, Feb 14, 2014.

1. TheWelshPirate

TheWelshPirate Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

They should've ended ST'09 pretty much the same way as the HISHE episode. They can't escape the black hole, so they turn around and go through it. Then you could have the next movie (or next several movies) about them wandering about the multiverse trying to get back to their reality. Or resetting to a TOS reality. Sort of a Star Trek: Sliders sort of thing.

I didn't like ST'09, but an ending like that would've completely redeemed the movie for me. Not to mention it would've given them a story where they're actually on a trek through the stars. It certainly would've been better than the same old "must defeat vengeance-obsessed villain and/or corrupt Admiral" story we've seen 7,000 times.

Thoughts?

2. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    Re: If they had any balls...

What's HISHE?

3. TheWelshPirate

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

We already saw Star Trek: Voyager.

I think you're kinda missing the point of rebooting TOS, if you want it to become something completely different.

5. TheWelshPirate

We've also already seen Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan. About four or five times now.

And even if you wanted to generalize enough to say that idea is like Voyager, there is also the fact that a two hour movie would still have more screen time dedicated to that plot than Voyager managed in seven seasons.

Heaven forbid a Star Trek movie involve some form of exploration.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  6. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't want the next movie to end at Earth again.

I'm so sick of Earth.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

You can always leave.

8. TheWelshPirate

We can? Wow, that Orion program is coming along better than I expected...

9. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty much what I was going to say.

10. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, the opening scene of STID is the first and only time we've see the crew of any Enterprise doing any exploring in a Star Trek movie. Seriously, the only exploring done in the TOS movies was by the Reliant in TWOK, the Grissom in TSFS and the Excelsior in TUC. No exploration at all in the TNG ones.

12. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmmm. What about Sha Ka Ree in STV? What about the interior of V'Ger in TMP?

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

TMP was like 90% exploration.

Whiskey Tango Fox?

14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The problem with this idea is that it was not the intent of the reboot. The reboot was intended to simply have the same TOS characters we all know and love in a new universe that wasn't bogged down by 40+ years of canon, so that they could tell original stories. If all they wanted to do was have a crew wandering through different universes each movie, they could have used anyone for that.

Also, I'm not quite sure how not ending the films the way you personally would have wanted them to end is any kind of proof that the movie producers have no "balls."

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

NuTrek isn't a reboot though, its an alternate timeline where they can tell the same stories only now with flashy new visual effects and younger actors. If it was a reboot then there would be no Prime Spock, also a reboot should do more to shake up the characters (like NuBSG did).

It'd be an interesting idea, but with mega-hyper-warp they'd be home five minutes into NuTrek 2.

An explorer story would be nice to see, I'd prefer that as opposed to a war film with the Blingons.

16. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Exactly.

Also, why do you hate America?

17. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Exploration can also include investigation of anything out of the ordinary, not just new planets and stars (the original Enterprise explored V'Ger in TMP for example; it's also possible that there was some long-range scientific scans conducted by the Enterprise-A when she crossed the Great Barrier and ditto for the Enterprise-E during her brief time deep within Romulan territory--before the shooting started, of course).

18. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

when the Ent was caught in the event horizon of the black hole i was fully expecting something relating to the prime universe..like they go through (like Ent D in Time Squared) and encounter the Ent E which is monitoring from a safe distance...before they get pulled back into the black hole and end up back in the nuUniverse...

19. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

No, the new movies are not a strict reboot, and I for one, am extremely pleased by that. I get to see my favourite characters brilliantly and vibrantly brought back to life by a (somewhat) younger cast - Pegg 44, Urban 41, Saldana 35.

How very dare the studio use top rate, exciting effects in a summer tentpole, they should have scaled them right back with a cheap looking and unconvincing veneer - after all - that would make the movies more worthy, right?

"Mega-hyper-warp" and "Blingons" eh, I look forward to seeing them introduced in the next movie. I hope they use your exact terminology as well.

20. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As much as I love TMP, the exploration in it was a byproduct of the Enterprise's main mission: to neutralize the intruder before the intruder--a seemingly malevolent force of unimaginable destructive power--could do to earth what it had done to the Klingons and the Epsilon IX station. The Niburu sequence is the only time we see the Enterprise involved in good, old-fashioned TOS-style explorin' sttrange new worlds and seekin' out thems new lifes and new civilizations and what-not.