DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I want stories that entertain.

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I guess you weren't into Marvel's "What If?" series then Mr. Light?

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Never read 'em... I mean a one-off story like that is fine, but when they pretend like it's going to be something important but it's not is what annoys me. Like the "Age of X" thing they did with the X-Men a couple years ago. Or "House of M" (the consequences came from the ending not from the alternate reality). Or the endless alt-Earths we've been seeing in New Avengers lately.

Most notably, this entire "five years later" thing DC is doing. The entire point of rebooting the continuity was to de-age the characters. They're not going to just add on five years to their age three years after the reboot. And all this stuff with Earth-2... it's all a what-if story. This is not the continuity that Snyder's Batman or Johns' Justice League is in.

The very notable exception, of course, is Age of Apocalypse. That was awesome :lol:

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

No. Earth 2 isn't a what if story. It's actually happening. In the Multiverse. They are different versions, but it's all in the continuity of the larger DC universe.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

yeah I know, but it's the not world of the mainstream DCU. it's not "my" characters. A good story is a good story, but a non-mainstream-continuity-world story is definitely going to have some additional hurdles to overcome.

6. Nerys Myk

Earth 2 is part of the mainstream DCU. It just takes place on a different world/dimension. It's part of the whole DCU vs Darkseid superarc. There have been E2 characters on Earth 0 and Earth 0 characters on E2. With New Gods appearing on both Earths.

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I get what you're saying, I disagree about where it is in the mainstream. it's not the "prime" Earth.

It's to bad... Earth 2 was one of the better books of the nu52. I was a little sad they were retiring the WW2 versions of the Flash, Green Lantern, etc, but, man, the new Earth 2 was great because they could truly upset the status quo. Stories could have consequences because they weren't beholden to always have Bruce Wayne be Batman, Clark Kent be Superman.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I did read Earth 2 and World's Finest for a little bit, but I gave 'em up.

I miss the original JSA...

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I long ago stopped getting excited over any events done by the big two cause too many ended up being poorly crafted and/or not being relevant 18months later after being told how "Big and stretching the ramifications would be".

I long for a series to have 2&3 issue story arcs once again that have a simmering subplot with supporting characters and/or villains(re:Hobgoblin for example) and not be unnecessarily interrupted with the alleged next "big thing".
    I will say on some level Moon Knight, Punisher, Black Widow and TMNT are successfully filling that niche for me right now.

11. Nerys Myk

12. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ You'd think that would be the selling point for me. However, the talent behind this has turned me off. This is nothing more than filler for two months so no real reason for me to check it out. Maybe if it gets good reviews or something...but for now I'm not interested.

13. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i feel the same way. and with Soule leaving next year my reading list will get even shorter.

14. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I starting getting tired of the big summer events back in the 90s.

15. Captain Craig

This Convergence of Champions takes up 2 months, April & May. A title gets breather for Nov-Mar for an arc then this.
    So any ongoing title then has 3 months, June-August, for a story before DC does some huge September gimmick again. A title just can't grow a character, let alone it's support cast with nothing but event, after event after event. It's tiring, from both of the Big 2.

Azzarello's run on WW is one of the few examples, Johns Aquaman another, that had time to be disconnected and grow away from one gimmicky event after the next.

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Snyder's Batman run.

17. Captain Craig

Last night I read Swamp Thing Annual #3 and Justice League Dark Annual #2.
    I enjoyed both, Swamp Thing perhaps a bit more. Like how Capucine's story seemingly wrapped up. She's had a bit of a redemption arc and now as part of the Green could conceivably come back, even in another form, one day.

As for JLD, I liked how the House of Mystery and House of Secrets were seemingly infected and the supernatural virus manifested as opposing entities actually working together. Who them pitted Zee & Constantine against each other with separate teams all members of former JLD missions. Then the House of Wonder is birthed and destroyed but I'm unclear if in that destruction the original Houses can be reformed or not. Are the HoM and HoS both destroyed for good? That's the only thing I felt that was left hanging.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did a self high five as I realized that Justice League 3000 was crossing over with Camelot 3000.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Batman #36: another perfect issue. I had no recollection of this character that was revealed, did anyone else? Still, great reveal! I dig go dig up Batman Annual 2 and re-read it after I saw this; I recall reading it at the time and being very bored by it; much more interesting now :lol:

20. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

'Nuff said, really.

There is no doubt about it. We are witnessing one of the greatest runs on the character in his entire 75 year history.