What were we wrong about?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by BigJ, May 10, 2009.

1. BigJ

BigJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Now that we've seen the movie it's time to key in on what rumors/theories about the plot we heard and/or made up that we were way off-base with. For example, I thought the whole thrust of the movie was that Nero came back in time to ruin Kirks' life by killing his father for some reason or another. That was totally off. Nero pretty much never knew George Kirk was on the Kelvin, that was just dumb luck. Also, I remember hearing some crazy initial rumor about the Ferengi being involved and an opening scene with the Grand Nagus and a time ship. So what other rumors/plot points can you guys remember over the last year that turned out to be totally wrong?

2. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The jellyfish being a 'timeship'

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

People were insisting that:

Nero deliberately traveled back in time.

Spock Prime deliberately traveled back in time to stop Nero.

The film would flop.

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One that came to mind right now is many people saying how this was not Spock prime in this picture, looked nothing like him and was probably Sarek and even that the people who made the card had most likely made a mistake :p

[​IMG]

5. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

Salvor, you know why people thought this was a mistake and it was Sarek? (I was one of them, by the way) Because of Spock's uniform. I thought this was a scene fairly early on in the film at the Academy, before the Enterprise and I couldn't see any way how they could meet on Earth and so early. Shows you how you can make all the wrong connections because of a costume.

By the way, is this even supposed to be an Academy uniform? Or rather Starfleet's dress uniform?

6. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

The way they used it, I think it's the uniform for Academy instructors.

7. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I got the impression it was Starfleet's equivalent of a 'Service Dress Uniform' while the standard primary coloured shirts were 'BDUs' or a specifically shipboard duty uniform. The difference between this and this for the 23rd Century.

As for what we got wrong - the early and most persistent rumours that Nero's target was Kirk turned out to be dead wrong - Nero has certainly heard of Kirk and his reputation, but his getting involved was, to all intents and purposes, coincidental - Nero's connection is with Spock. Oh, and SPOCK WAS NOT CONSTANTLY SHOUTING!

8. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    He shouted often enough. He even yelled. And he sneered. And glared.

That's even better, wouldn't you agree?

9. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I also was surprised that the time travel wasn't deliberate.

I didn't read spoilers much , but I'd heard or assumed that Kirk snuck (is that a word?) onto the Enterprise with no formal Starfleet training...at least in the movie he got 3 years under his belt.