The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by PsychoPere, Oct 14, 2011.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Not to mention that if someone in your party died of natural causes, you'd still be stuck with a zombie on the ship, and who knows if you'd be able to get to them in time. Especially on a really big ship with a lot of people, and a lot of hiding places.

2. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Everyone wears Lecter-style muzzles and heavy mittens at all times.

3. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Going back to the episode real quick...I just rewatched it, and clearly Jimmy was just a dumbass. He saw Rick on the roof and Rick directed him where to go so that he and carl could get on top of the RV. So he knew they would be on the roof. So why was the bloody door unlocked? That is the ONLY way that the Zombies could have gotten in (especially given that the door swings out). The only explanation for his death is that the door was unlocked so someone fraked up big time.

That was the only real problem that I had with the ep...well that and T-dog's horrid u-turn.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Dead bodies only float for a short time. Basically only while the gases are being held in. once released, the body sinks. Suffice it to say, most zombies won't float.

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ And it's not easy to walk underwater. Zombies just kind of stumble around and the bottom of lakes and oceans are all muddy and full of underwater plants and junk, so they'd either get stuck or be pushed around randomly by the currents.

As for safe places, the safest place on Earth would probably be McMurdo Base. It's even got an arboretum to grow food. The problem, of course, would be maintaining a supply of fuel to keep the place heated and powered up.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

"Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, what did you think of the play?" ;)

Maintaining a fuel supply without outside assistance wouldn't just be a problem, it's a show-stopper. Might as well say the space station is safest, other than the problem of maintaining food, air, water, and catching taxi rides...

7. sojourner

In my fictional attempt at surviving a zombie apocalypse, I'd find one of those huge regional distribution centers that supplies grocery stores. Plenty of food, it's a warehouse, so no windows and strong doors. Usually not very close to a large city. In a warehouse district with plenty of other goods to scavenge.

8. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I think that was a plot-line in a post-apocalyptic (non-zombie) tv-show remake called survivors. As I recall, it was a mess of trouble because every survivor with a gun wanted to either steal from the place or take it over. Of course, that distribution center was in a city, and you might have fewer problems in a more rural area.

9. sojourner

^Yeah, but that's gonna be true of pretty much every good place. Someone will want it.

10. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Oil rig close to the shore would be my first choice, easily defendable and immune to zombies (well except for "home-grown" ones) find a bunch of cooperative and trustworthy survivors who know how to operate a boat and start your own little waterworld-community.

11. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just rewatched the season finale before deleting it from my DVR and noticed something that might let Lori off the hook a bit. When Rick was confessing about killing Shane, she just looked confused until he got to the part about Carl "putting Shane down." Then she reacted badly and looked like she was going to throw up or something.

I got the impression that she was mostly upset about the idea of Carl becoming a part of all the insane violence (especially towards a guy he'd seen as a father figure) and her own role in the sequence of events leading up to it. Then, instead of blaming herself, she blamed Rick. Not rational but in a zombie apocalypse, rationality is in short supply.

The Achilles Heel of an oil rig is that it's connected to the seabed. As we know from World War Z, zombies can walk along the bottom of the ocean (and in fact, can cross oceans) and if they stumble across one leg of the oil rig, they could try crawling up it. Not because they would know what's up there, but because in a swarm of zombies, you can count some of them to do any random thing that's possible. It's all about probabilities.

Anchors are a bad idea for a similar reason. Which may rule out ships entirely. Without an anchor, you loose control of the vessel and could run aground.

12. sojourner

welcome to 5 pages ago.
    Then again, what are the chances that a zombie could climb up an anchor chain? If it's a deep water oil rig, it's anchored, no legs to climb. (not that a zombie would have much luck at climbing them)

13. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given the pressure at the bottom, how can they do that? Obviously, it can't kill them they it would kill us but wouldn't the pressure pretty much rip their bodies apart?

14. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Why, O, why would she read what other people write?

15. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

16. sojourner

Mooring lines already have something like that to keep rats from climbing on board. Wouldn't be hard to scale up.

17. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

In other news, did you know there are still contingents of TWD fandom (mostly uber alpha male chest pounders) who are bitching up a storm that Shane was killed instead of Rick? :rommie: There's a big grouping of them over at imdb and some on youtube who are bitching about Rick being a murderer, that female fans will desert the show without "hunk" Shane, that TWD would be more interesting with Shane instead of Rick as the lead because Shane got things done....yada yada yada. It's appropos of nothing, but I thought it was funny. Some think both of the characters should still be on the show.

Yeah, Shane murders Rick and takes his family. Just my opinion, but that's a protagonist with no rooting value. :lol:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2012
  18. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ No accounting for taste I guess, though I can't say I'm surprised. A lot of people are cavemen at heart.

But thank gawd they didn't go that route. At this point Rick and Daryl are the only two characters on the show that I give a damn about.

19. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

What? You don't want the Rick/Shane/Lori love triangle to go on for the duration of the series??? :eek:

Funny you should say that. I completely agree. Since they're obviously not bound by comic canon in which Daryl doesn't exist, I say make them become great allies, the sheriff and the former white supremacist. Everyone loves a reformed sinner, and call me girly if you want to, but bromance usually works pretty well if you're not overly sappy and heavy handed with it. Comrades in arms and trying to be stoic moments and all that great stuff. :D I am growing fond of Hershel, though. I'm glad he survived.

20. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

So it's all right for Shane to be a murderer, but not Rick? Okay then.