Eugenics Wars.

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by GalaxyClass1701, Dec 21, 2009.

1. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

If Earth had the DY-100 by 1996, then how come the Ares IV module, launched in 2032 (as seen in VOY "One Small Step"), was significantly less advanced?

2. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We have no idea how advanced the Botany Bay actually was, and it looked less advanced than the Ares Module anyway

3. Cybersnark

Cybersnark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

After the DY-100 had served its purpose, Roberta and Rain might have made it a point to suppress the technology that built it. Especially once humans started launching well-publicised manned missions (i.e., once the tech becomes established, there's no need to keep the old prototypes around as evidence of alien contact).

4. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

You know, I think I rather like the idea of Saddam and Khan being rivals in the Middle Eastern arena, constantly watching one another for breaks in their defenses through which to launch an attack.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Aegis aren't gods. There's only so much they could do. They may not have been able to prevent WWIII, although they could have helped in the cleanup afterward (as I suspect the Vulcans also did).

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

1. Zombie thread!!

2. If you look too closely, Diane Duane's Vulcan/Rihannsu books "don't fit" either, but they're still the definitive stories of Vulcan and Romulus, IMO.

3. I haven't read the Eugenics Wars books yet.

4. I wonder what Bob Orci thought of them - I recall him mentioning reading them on trekmovie.com back when the nuKhan rumours were at full power. This is the guy who read Spock's World before destroying it:lol:.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I admit: I'm curious about that myself! :)

8. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

The same goes for them, IMHO. It's because they contradict so much of what's been established on screen with TNG, et al, that I can never take them seriously. Their contradictions of canon Trek can't be easily resolved either. It doesn't matter how brilliant a book is when it's first written, if a TV episode or movie contradicts it in BIG ways, then that book is no longer worth considering. If I were to write a Trek novel dealing with the Eugenics Wars or Romulans, I would not incorporate anything from Greg or Diane's books into it.

And on the subject of Khan and Saddam Hussein, would Saddam have been entirely opposed to Iraq being a member of Khan's international alliance?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  9. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

The records would've included stuff about the hundreds of Augment embryos captured though, seeing as how people knew all about those over a hundred years before the novel's framing story.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

What? Come on, it's all fictional. Who cares if one totally made-up story contradicts another totally made-up story? It's not like these are study materials for a history exam and you have to consider only the "right" information. They're works of entertainment. They're stories to be read for enjoyment. As long as they're good stories, they are absolutely worth considering, and whether they "fit" with other stories that are equally imaginary is a trivial consideration.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

:lol:Tell that to STXI (and STXII) co-writer Roberto Orci. Elements from several classic novels and works of "non-fiction fiction" found their way into last year's movie.

12. Greg Cox

The problem, of course, is that I wrote those books long before ENTERPRISE did their "Augment" arcs. Trust me, I would have worked those embryos into the plot (and used the word "Augment") if I had written those books post-ENTERPRISE!

Just one of the occupational hazards of working in an ongoing franchise! :)

13. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Oh, I understand, Greg. It's just that, when it comes to ENT and the EW novels, I have to go with ENT; you can't really have them both. I know it sucks a bit, but that's the way it works.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, it's not like the canon doesn't contradict itself from time to time. "No, Captain, no Starfleet vessel has ever encountered anything remotely like this zone of darkness that looks almost exactly like the zone of darkness from 'The Immunity Syndrome.'" "Ugh, I never kissed you with a beard before, except in 'Menage a Troi' and the 'Violations' flashback and maybe once or twice more!" "Faster than light, no left or right, except for all the countless times a starship has changed course while in warp."

15. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

i just don't count them as 'continuity' because i don't buy the covert war story....

they're decent enough stories...

16. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Well, that's the way it works for YOU. Personally, I'm perfectly content to enjoy bot.

17. What's his face

What's his face Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm actually reading it for the first time now. I'm about a quarter done.

I like the premise, but the extremely corny writing is distracting.

I'll let you know what I think when I'm done.

18. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Did the show actually say the embryos were next-generation Augments created by Khan and his contemporaries? I remember the impression I walked away with was that they could've been leftovers from the original Chrysalis project in the '70s, so they were Khan's lost siblings, and not lost children.

19. Greg Cox

I guess the big question is how important "continuity" is to any individual reader. As long as a book or comic is still entertaining, I don't much care if it's "canon" or not. It's still the same book. THE FINAL REFLECTION by John Ford is still one of the best Trek novels ever, and I would recommend it to readers without reservation, regardless of whether it still "fits" in the continuity or not.

Heck, I've read multiple different versions of Sherlock Holmes over the years, by umpteen different authors. Does it matter that they often contradict each other? Not as far as I'm concerned. Others may feel differently.

My second UNDERWORLD novel was completely contradicted by by the third movie, but I like to think it's still a good read . . . .

20. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

I believe it was said that the embryos were captured by government forces when the Wars ended. This, to me, would strongly indicate that they were engineered by Khan or his contemporaries.

And as I said in another thread, the death toll given in ENT of 30-35 million casualties would seem to indicate that the Wars were fought all across the world, on the scale of a proper, full-blown world war, not scattered brushfire conflicts fought here and there.