My first voyage with Voyager

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Qutluch, Apr 14, 2012.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    You know what I like about this ep? (apart from quite a lot :)). Andy Robinson directed it. Has some good close-ups. And it has a really nice shot, with Tuvok and Vorik in profile.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

TPTB-1: You know there's that other Vulcan on the crew, wasshisname Vorkik? We should maybe do a Vulan episode with him.

TPTB-2: OMG WE CAN DO PON FARR!!!!

TPTB-1: Frakk we should SO do that!!!!!

TPTB-2: God I wish we had a whole ship full of Vulcans.. Pon Farr shouldn't be just for Christmas.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

You remember that TPTB-2 was Vorrik's real life mother?

4. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Damn, I thought you folks would just laugh. I didn't expect you and Teacake to analyze it. :lol:

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Teacake and Guy analyze everything. They're like a Trek themed super nerd think tank.

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sayin'!!! :guffaw:

..and paragraphs worth too!!

7. teacake

Okay now that's just sick.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Jeri Taylor is Alexander Enberg's mommy.

Alexander played Vorrik on Voyager and played Taurik on The Next Generation.

Berman was so cheap that they had to "slightly" change the characters name to get out of paying royalties to some starving screen writer.

A novel at one point suggested that they were twin brothers.

9. AloriaDax

AloriaDax Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I just started season 4 of Voyager and am enjoying it very much so far. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the show. I can't help but wonder how it will all turn out. I LOVE the Doctor, I love Paris, I loved Kes (:(), I like Harry Kim too, he's not a bad guy, maybe a little annoying sometimes, but that is all. After I'm done with Voyager I have a feeling it's back to DS9 again!

10. Qutluch

Qutluch Commander Red Shirt

Aloria, I love Kes too and your sad face is making me concerned!!

11. teacake

Hi Qutluch!!

12. Qutluch

Unity

Chakotay is in a shuttle craft and receives a call for help. He is attacked while he is on the planet, and wakes up on a colony with several thousand humans. Their story is that they all woke up and do not have any memories of how they got there. There are humans and many other groups that Klingons, Vulcans, etc. that are on the colony. Some of the fractions are at “war” with each other, but the women who is taking care of Chakotay claims that they live in a peaceful colony. (Chakotay is a vegetarian? I guess I am not surprised, but I never picked up on that before).

I was immediately apprehensive once the woman would not let Chakotay out of his room, with the previous episodes hint, it was obviously something to do with the Borg. While Chakotay is on the planet VOY ran into a Borg Cube adrift in space, with no life/activated Borg on it. On the planet Chakotay finds out that the members on the planet were once Borg that was separated from the Collective because of a spacial storm. The look on his face when he figures out they were once Borg, when he first saw them, was aloofness. I am not sure if that makes him brave, or incredibly stupid. In order to save Chakotay, they have to hook him up to a neural transmitter and connect him to the collective to heal him.

The group on the planet uses the connection with Chakotay to get him to shoot B'Elanna and go back to the Borg ship to aid the members in their quest to reconnect the collective so the members on that planet can live in peace, but maintain their actual bodies and species without being assimilated. In the end, they use Chakotay to reestablish their link and then they let Chakotay go... The Borg ship is blown up.

I assume this episode was put here to show that the beings who are assimilated are not bad people, rather they were captives of the Borg, and once free from the Borg they are descent folks. I would guess that this episode is foreshadowing Seven of Nine's future entrance into the show (one of the few spoilers I know—although, I know nothing other than her name, that she was a Borg, and is supposed to be super attractive). If my guess is accurate I understand the need for this episode, if not, I don't really like this episode. Why leave the Borg ship unexplored, take their weapons and anything else that could benefit VOY and blow the damn thing up!

Favorite part: I think Chakotay got laid...they are so subtle it is sometimes hard to tell...

Least favorite part: Another shuttle craft gone....where do they keep getting frickin' shuttle crafts? I call bullshit.

13. Qutluch

The Darkling

Janeway is on a planet meeting with its people in order to obtain information about the area and what they may encounter. This is one of the story lines. The main story line is the Doctor. He set up a holodeck scene to meet with the great minds of several worlds in order to improve his personality. (Who would you pick if you had the chance)? The third, minor story line is that Kes falls in love with Zahir, a member on the planet, and is thinking about going away with him for a while to decide if she wants to stay on VOY.

The Doctor is hysterical in this episode. He really is a wonderful actor. He accidentally hits of B'Elanna when she was in sick bay because of his new personality traits. B'Elanna worries that his program will become unstable because he added too many things. The Doctor does become “evil” and he pushes Zahir down a cliff, and he physically disables B'Elanna so she cannot fix his program, which she found was unstable.

In the end, Kes tries to talk the Bad Doctor into the idea that he was trying to help her, but the Bad Doc throws them off a cliff, and VOY beams them onto the ship as they are falling. The Good Doc is back! Kes is also remaining on board VOY! The Doc has a very touching scene with Kes at the end, and then he re-swears the Hippocratic Oath.

Favorite part: When the bad Doctor is explaining to Kes why he detests the good Doctor. He gets this creepy low voice! Love it! The divot in his chin is very prominent when he scowls.

Least favorite part: I feel bad for Neelix. He must be heartbroken over Kes...

14. R. Star

The former Maquis are all in slave pens below decks manufacturing shuttles and torpedoes and other things they should have run out of. :p

15. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

^ Brilliant.

I too am on my first Voyage with Voyager. I am so underwhelmed by it. I just finished Equinox and its one of the stories i like.

Dark Frontier was dribble

Scorpion hyperinflated

Year of Hell not as grand as people claim

Timeless was static and boring.

I'd rather watch Enterprise to be honest.

16. Qutluch

I am going to watch Enterprise after Voyager, but I do not watch TV often so I cannot watch both at once.... I am excited for Enterprise though; my husband loves it, and the kind of cool thing for me is that I do not know anything about it. I did not find Star Trek until the last few years so it is like the series just came on the air! ( I have avoided almost all spoilers!!!!)

17. teacake

I'll be there when you watch it Qut :D

As to spoilers, I was spoiled with ENT because I could not stop myself from looking at the forum, a thread title spoiled me on one thing. So be careful.

18. Qutluch

Teacake, that is the hardest thing for me. I really want to read other peoples post on VOY, but I don't dare because I will come across spoilers....sigh, I will have a lot of catching up to when I finish the series....

19. R. Star

The great thing is the conversations have a way of recycling themselves over the years albeit with new faces and input. So don't worry too much about "catching up" and just jump in when you feel ready. :)

20. teacake

Yeah believe me anything you miss will come back like a good meal. YMMV.

And the spoilers in ENT are much more spoilery, as in certain dramatic things that a single thread title can ruin. There is much less developments in VOY that this could happen with.