Minor BTTF Part Two question

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, it was wind. Which you really have to wonder why Ted of all people not only had an analog watch (could he really even read it?!) but one that needed winding!

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Timelines aside, my favorite bit in that movie is the image of Genghis Khan in the sporting goods store! That was inspired!

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I just wish we got a scene of Lincoln watching C-SPAN (or whatever we had back then) or reading the politics section of the news paper or something and shaking his head.

4. Flying Spaghetti Monster

It was such an inspired film! I loved it. I saw a picture on Facebook that showed Lincoln in a cafe sending a text message on his phone and I immediately thought of Bill and Ted. It's an underrated film.

About Back to the Future, when Marty wakes up after the adventure in the first film, how is it that he "merges" with his other self that must have experienced a normal life with his parents, including his improved father?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  5. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

One of the unresolved questions of that movie (and one that would be confusing, so it makes sense to ignore it). The life that Marty comes back to isn't his own, but rather some other Marty's life, the Marty who time traveled from the Lone Pines mall at the end of the movie.

Realistically, it's a stretch that the new 1985 even minutely resembles the 1985 that Marty is from!

6. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah you guys get too worked anytime someone suggests CGI (or model) work to fix scenes that are clearly mediocre.

No one is complaining that the TNG Remastered project has *fixed* a ton of things that were wrong with the originals, like the energy beam coming out of the phaser strip rather than the Captain's Yatch for example. In a "purist" sense, they should have left it like that, but in "HD".

So why no complains on small changes like that that fix logical problems? That's what I'm asking for in BTTF. I'm not asking for an animated Jar Jar Binks character to be added to all the movies as Marty McFly's best buddy sidekick. This is always the implication anytime someone asks for scened to be fixed.

7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Jar Jar: "Weres ah weee going Marty?"
    Marty: "Back to the future!"
    Jar Jar: "Oh doy, meesa going to have alot of Bom bad fun"
    Marty: "Shut the fuck up Jar Jar!"

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

That's a fair question. I believe Raiders was also tweaked in its DVD/blu releases to remove a rather visible glass pane between Ford and a snake in the Well of Souls, and there weren't any protests over that, either.

In the case of TOS and TNG, hardly anyone (not even the shows' creators) ever expected HD presentations to occur, so in a sense, releasing the restorations at all is a big change that justifies some smaller changes. And we do seem to hold movies in higher esteem than even beloved TV shows, so there's that...

If Zemeckis offered retooled/enhanced shots via seamless branching while letting fans choose to watch the originals, I doubt many would object. But since he's said he's got no interest in that, many quite vocally back him up.

9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

You know it's so funny that I was just pondering almost the exact response.

The original Star Trek, as much as I love the SFX, couldn't be played in HD as it was because the picture quality would really suffer. So they figured they could digitally redo the "exterior" shots and a few phaser shots so that the show can be rebroadcast to a wide market in HD. The decision to do TNG in HD was a riskier one, mainly because the series was shot directly on video, which compounded the remastering process so much that I won't even go into detail here. However, to Zemeckis, a movie is generally a capsule in time, and it is what it is, and while the sound mix can always be tweaked depending on the format, he's not one to use CGI to change what he'd already set in stone. I agree with him for the most part.

10. Flying Spaghetti Monster

I consider this a "you might as well change it if you can" kind of thing, but I think changing how the DeLorean flew by CGI to erase the flaws also defeats the point: it was quite charming - and it took a lot of work - to use all kinds of techniques to make it fly back then. If it was made today CGI would solve everything, but there's no innovation for that. I think it's awesome that we can see how they did it now, no changes, and see how he was able to combine these things to make an effective film.

11. tighr

One of the interesting features on the BTTF Part 2 special features disc is the making of, where they show how they made the DeLorean fly. It was a combination of practical effects and special effects. For example, as the DeLorean was swooping in for a landing, it would be digitally composited into the film before being hidden by something in the foreground, such as a tree. They would then use camera tracking to re-do the exact same shot, only this time with the real DeLorean lowered from a rig at the angle they wanted as it appears on the other side of the tree. Then ILM went in and integrated the two scenes together.

A similar technique was used in the dinner scene, where Marty and his two kids were all played by Michael J Fox.

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

In many ways, I agree that it's better not to think about it, but I'm open to any answers, or attempts at answers. I've not heard a good rationale, partly because I've never asked it before...

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

TNG was edited on video, but shot on film. If it was shot on video there'd be no HD version to make.

Fair point. There is a tangible difference between a pane of glass inserted solely for the actor's safety versus the creative process behind making the effect of a car fly.

14. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's like only 3 scenes I would be extatic if they fixed up somehow.

The first one is when Biff takes the Delorean. You could clearly tell that the model they were using was being shaken by a Bulldozer or similar vehicle.

The second one is the horribly matte looking shot of the plane that swoops by them in the alternate 1985.

The third one is when Marty clocks evil 1985 Biff with the Delorean's door, and the car take off from the roof. That swoop it does is horribly fake.

I think that's pretty much all I would change in the entire series.

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think he'd be outraged seeing as he's from around the time a senator beat another senator with a cane on the freaking senate floor.

16. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe at the end of pt.1 when that ginger guy is pulling Lorraine away they could add George going "No... Nooo.... Nooooooooooo!!!!!"

Oh and CGI Biff punching him first, because you can't have George looking a bully.

17. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

There really is only one Marty. The fact that he still remembers the original timeline doesn't change that.

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

So.... why doesn't he remember the new timeline?

He had to somehow merge with another Marty.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I'm sure his memories of the new timeline would gradually return to him.

20. tighr

I don't believe it works that way.