Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by PsychoPere, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Exactly. The same applies to any territory claimed by one power or another. The only border that has any meaning is the termini of local mass relays...or as the krogan say; the range of their weapons. It's also why a territorial map of the galaxy would be meaningless since in term of volume, the vast majority of galactic space is unknown and unclaimed. All you could do is colour code individual stars and even if a government laid claim to hundreds or even thousands of systems, a few coloured points scattered against the backdrop of several hundred billion stars...well you'd could hardly tell they were there at all.

I think it's time you started because I've lost track of how many times you've voiced a rather drastic misconception. Seriously, at times I wonder if you're playing the same game as everyone else! Hell even reading the primary ones will do. It's easy really since you don't even have to actually read them. When you select one there's a little audio clip that reads it for you.

In this instance though, you didn't need to open the codex, it was all right there on the planetary screen when you came into orbit. But if that's too much to ask I'll quote it for you.

2. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

You've told me all that before.
    With all due respect Reverend, that's your hang up not mine.
    I enjoy the EXPERIENCE of MASS EFFECT more than the details. That's unusual for me, normally I love the details. I pay attention to some things in the Game but not others as I play. The characters are what make this Game for me it's why I replayed the first Mass Effect almost 20 times and the 2nd at least 5 times. It's truly and EPIC game.

3. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It's not a hangup of mine at all, I'm just morbidly curious as to why you keep doing this.
    Honestly, if you're so disinterested in the details then why enter into discussions about those very details, fully aware of just how wilfully uninformed you are?

4. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Ah...because my dear Watson....
    I'm not "so disinterested" as you put it. That's a qualifier you felt necessary to add. Not I. I'm not sure it's not a hangup either when you call it a "morbid curiosity". (and it's you that brought it up instead of letting it go.)

That's wrong. Lines are Lines
    How they are used to best represent demarcations is my field.

That's also wrong.
    There are any number of ways to define territory. One method is to associate by line all stars that belong to a particular home world by simply drawing a line from every star to it's homeworld. Very simple.

Indeed.

5. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not so simple. It's not going to be direct lines of transit. The Mass Relays aren't laid out for the convenience of the Krogan, or for the convenience of Humanity, etc etc. They are scattered among star systems, and only link to their pairs, or to nearby relays, depending on what kind of relay they are.

There's also the matter of many different factions controlling different assets within the same cluster. It would be simpler just to mark locations with color coding or some such, as opposed to rendering a spiderweb from hell across the galaxy.

6. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's just impractical to try to lay claim to any significant volume of space, it's just too big. It makes much more sense to stick close to planets, moons, asteroids etc. where you have a much better chance to protect your assets. It's probably not even a good idea to try and defend the region around a local relay. I can imagine that not many races would risk a fire-fight that might damage or destroy a relay. That's probably how the Normandy was able to get around the terminus systems and even into Geth space without facing any serious opposition.

7. HotRod

HotRod Commodore Commodore

This might help.
    [​IMG]

8. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

^ Love that. Thanks!

9. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I said nothing about transit.
    I said association by homeworld.

It doesn't matter when associated by homeworld. Each affliation would be appear to be star-like cluster of lines. You could differentiate those lines by color no matter if the whole cluster belongs to them or not. It wouldn't matter one bit.

Just as International Waters have a set boundary around every coast line so would each Star...the rest is already known as interstellar space. Don't make it harder than it is.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  10. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

11. LeadHead

I don't know if I'd say that's confirmed as of yet. EA hasn't commented. They've still got many months to do all the voice acting. The E3 video with somebody else voicing the role wouldn't be the first one where the voice acting was different than the finished product. I shall remain hopeful.

12. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering that the art design teams are still working on levels, I'm not surprised that the VAs aren't going to be recording any time soon.

13. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Indeed. I think I;ve even noticed a few instances in ME1 (I think) where a vocal temp track had been left in, presumably by mistake.

Still, as the article points out there are a few notable cases of talent from the first two games not returning which has me a little worried. Mostly I think people are afraid that Bioware may be put under the same kind of pressure from EA that made them put out DA2 seemingly two thirds done. The feeling I've seen around the interwebs is that the EA suits may be of the opinion that since ME2 was such a big seller, they needn't spend as much on ME3 as they'll have a significant number of guaranteed sales from established fans.

Personally I doubt it, but the third instalment in any trilogy can be a tricky one...

14. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The original "Holiday 2011" release date had me a little worried, but the fact that they pushed the game back at least three months keeps me optimistic, especially since that means ME3 will have roughly the same turnaround as ME2 did.

15. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Jack Wall not composing means a heck of a lot more. I MEAN DUDE...I have both sound tracks from the games.

I hope Sascha Dikiciyan & Cris Velasco from arrival will be on the project.

16. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, the president of EA stated that Mass Effect is one of his favorite franchises and they pushed back ME3 to give it as much polish as possible. This was IIRC after the EA press conference on the first day of GameTrailers.com/Spike TV E3 coverage.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^And who knows, he may have been telling the truth. ;)

Seriously though, I can't see even the likes of EA risking ME3's development for short term gain so long as they want the franchise to continue after the Shepard trilogy is done.

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'm just cynical, but I still think at least part of the reason for the delay was so that BioWare could add in stupid Kinect crap. :p

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. LeadHead

Huh, the link worked just fine yesterday. The site itself must have removed the story.