The Star Trek Into Darkness teaser trailer is here!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

All the buzzword ridden nostalgia nonsense bogged the reading process down enough for me to stop before that, sorry.

2. sunburn800

sunburn800 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Once again while we are guessing why not Charlie X?
    And the blond is Janice Rand the girl who rejected him. After all he feels the whole crew let him down at the end of Charlie X. We know that he looked to Kirk as a father figure.
    why not Charlie?

3. los2188

los2188 Commander Red Shirt

That ship going down in water reminds me of the Enterprise NX-01. Maybe it's Admiral Archer getting revenge because Scotty beamed his dog away somewhere....

4. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I bet writing that took even longer, and yet you somehow managed to find the time to complain.

5. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Why not Christine Chapel and Roger Corby?

We just don't know.

6. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Looks too old to be Charlie.

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

they wouldn't, which is why they would allude to previous events on the pre-credits teaser or with flashbacks.

8. Swarles Barkley

Swarles Barkley Commodore Commodore

Something people should keep in mind about trailers. Studios have entire departments that are devoted to just making trailers. They are designed by the studio marketing departments, not by the people who made the actual movie. That's why trailers for most big budget summer movies have that same general feel. It's the same people churning them out, using the same philosophies. The actual movie may be nothing like the trailer.

9. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Yes and I did.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

This looks FAAAAR better than any of those generic scifi action flicks like Battle:LA and Battleship. It's got actual style and emotion behind it, and what looks like a very compelling villain.

And these are characters who appear to be truly fighting for their lives, and who aren't just running through a videogame, tossing out one-liners while things explode around them.

11. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Testify! By the time of TWOK, the TOS characters had aged enough that growing old was a thematic undercurrent in the movies. By TUC, they were actually questioning their relevance. It may have been part of the charm of the movies, but to paraphrase Kirk from TVH, we didn't actually catch them at their best.

Now, there's an energy and spirit in these characters they haven't had in decades. The promise of thrills and adventure was how "Star Trek" was sold in the first place.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I do expect that Cumberbatch's motives and background will be shown early on in the movie. I would simply be surprised if such a secretive crew as Bad Robot, who have guarded this movie and its plots and characters most jealously, would give away information like this in a comic. It would be like having a comic released pre-TDKR showing Bane hijacking that flight.

But obviously I don't know any more than anyone else.

13. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Since the movie does depict that the character is returning for revenge does make Charlie X still a possibility.

14. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

It's not a blatant ripoff of Khan or a clone of Khan or a pal of Khan. It's not a Khan wannabe, a Khan minion, or a copy and paste cookie-cutter villain that is virtually identical to Khan in every conceivable way.

It is Khan.

15. Anduril

Anduril Nose down. Throttle up. Captain

I know one thing, I'm staying away from these boards until after this movie comes out. This is Star Trek made for the big screen, something that has been lacking in the last few movies.

Cumberbatch can't be Mitchell because, he didn't have a British accent? Please. Are you forgetting that this is an alternate universe? I think it's been explained enough. Three years later and some people still don't get it.

It's this lack of imagination from the fans that is sad. Good god, you all suck all the fun out of it. Star Trek needed a breath of fresh air and that's exactly what JJ and crew have done. Lighten up and open your minds.

16. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gee, think you could come off as more of an ass? I think my observation is pretty valid considering this universe has not wavered much in terms of the major details of characters backgrounds. Kirk is still from Iowa, Chekov still has that ridiculous accent and Bones is still southern. So why would one character suddenly have a different background? Its not a lack of imagination in this case, its critical thinking and common sense.

17. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

While I'm not the biggest fan of the last movie, I concede it was a well made, solid action movie. And I'm sure this will be same. I like the next fan want some Old (read: crappy) Star Trek back, but I'm well aware thats 99% not going to happen.

And everyone yapping on about how its "not about exploration" - The fuck? NONE of the Trek movies were about "exploration", the first is about stopping a giant space cloud, the next one about a guy seeking revenge, then we had a friend searching for a way to bring his friend back to life, then save the whales, the god thing, Klingons want peace, whatever the fuck Generations was, Borg gon' assimilate yo' ass, Picard gets a hardon for middle aged milf and finally a guy seeking revenge again. There was no "were out on the edge of space and oh look heres a new alien species we have to deal with we don't know jack about" in the movies at all. Hell, that didn't happen in the goddamned show much either.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly.

19. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

20. Blue_Trek

Blue_Trek Captain Captain

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2012