Season SEVEN OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been very slowly making my way through the Season 7 set. Stretching it out helps me avoid burnout.

Anyway, I'm realizing that I now like some of the Season's episodes better than I ever did - better than original broadcast, and better than DVD. I think I was already burned out on TNG during the original broadcast, and probably when watching the DVD sets as well.

I can achieve a fresher perspective with longer gaps between episodes. And, the increased PQ of the blu-ray sets makes me appreciate the cinematography, costumes, and set design more than ever.

Recently I watched:
    Lower Decks - I've always liked this one, but this time I found it especially moving and tragic. Also, the actress playing Sito was very cute.
    Thine Own Self - I've always enjoyed this one, too, but the beautiful costumes and sets were amazing. The script was very creative in portraying a civilization similar to our Renaissance. These people valued science over superstition; unfortunately, their preconceived notions got in the way of scientific skepticism.
    Masks - Although it's a preposterous plot, this one seemed to me more like Season 1, where the crew encountered a truly alien culture. Of course, Spiner got a chance to truly flex his acting skills by shifting among 4 different characters. I've never figured out why the ship seems empty other than the regulars.

2. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been doing the same, but when I got to Masks, I just couldn't. The memory of Spiner's silly hammy voices is still seared into my brain. And I recall Frakes looking pissed off throughout, like he hated himself for having to do it.

There's only two episodes of TNG I skipped when doing the HD rewatch: Masks, and the season two episode with the Irish farmers.

3. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

Amazon.es is presently selling the complet BD set for 86 EUR.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I love Masks, In my top 25 episodes in fact. It's one of the first episodes I watched from season 7. Even TV Guide took notice of Spiner's excellent performance at the time.

RAMA

5. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

I think Spiner was great in 'Masks'.

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I always thought “Masks” was an okay episode. I loved it as a child, because I was fascinated by the mythology of this alien culture. Nowadays I'm more into the original English versions of the episodes, but I remember that the German dub is a really good showcase of Michael Pan's work as Brent Spiner's German voice.

I don't know if it has been mentioned before anywhere else in this thread, but did anyone else think that the effect of the Stone of Gol weapon in “Gambit, Part II” was recreated particularly bad? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but did the original effect really look this silly?

7. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I suppose there's something for everyone. Maybe I'll give it another go.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The episode had some stuff that appeared "magical" but ultimately it's about learning about an alien culture and the scientific method.