Buffyverse question about demons and dinosaurs

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by EJA, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

@EJA...out of curiousness what would you incorporate into your own Buffy continuity? My personal Buffy continuity pretty much jives with what is considered canon.

2. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

^The TV shows, plus any prose fiction and comic books I really liked.

3. Admiral_Young

Okay that's interesting. I guess if I did have a personal continuity it would be comprised of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer", "Angel", Tales of the Slayer, "Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season Eight", and maybe "Angel: After The Fall" which I didn't really like but whatever.

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Have you actually read the issue that said picture comes from?

From the way its presented as a fact of the Buffyverse I presume not. The comic, said Angel Annual, is an 'adaption' of the movie Hollywood puts out based on the events we see in Angel:ATF #1-17.
    As has been noted the movie is a very bad interpretation of how things happened, as for example Gunn is played by the fat guy in Lost, Spike is a woman who gets it on with Angel (played by Nic Cage), Betta George is a dog, Lorne is evil, Fred is a black woman who uses the I.L.L.Y.R.I.A (Industrial Level Low-Yield Reactive Armor) as a weapon, etc

So that's how a dumb film directed by Michael Bay within the Buffyverse explains it, but its not canon for the Buffyverse, if that makes sense.

The origin of the Vampires and stuff about ancient demons is all explained in Fray #3 btw

5. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And don't forget, Angel is human, and a cop, and Wesley was his partner... ;)

She-Spike reminds me of Darla, apart from the British slang that comes and goes.

6. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Yes, I remember that. I find it interesting how the brief flashback to the Primordium Age in the comic seems to depict the elder demons as being a bit dinosaur-like. There's also all that stuff about the ultimate origin of the Earth and demons in the Season Eight comics, but as I said, I have some reservations about those.

Greg, you're a BtVS fan; what's your opinion on all these issues?

7. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Oh, and do the Angel: After the Fall and Season Eight comics cross-reference one another at all?

8. Admiral_Young

Not really since they both take place at different times. Did you read the wiki links I posted on Season Eight? They do a great job at giving an over view. Most of After The Fall is shite anyways...looking forward to when the Angel book rejoins Dark Horse.

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Bullshit, After The Fall is awesome, its the post-ATF IDW Angel stuff that's crap

10. Admiral_Young

^Granted...yeah I kind of lump them in all together but that's not fair at all. "After The Fall" it's self is pretty good. The Aftermath stuff is what's crap.

11. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Anyone remember the Queller demon from BtVS S5 "Listening to Fear", that came to Sunnydale on a meteor? It's always puzzled me quite what a demon would want in outer space, and how it got out there to begin with. After all, there are no aliens in the Buffyverse, it's always been very Earth-centric. The human world is always where everything happens.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's Earth-centric because the characters live on Earth and don't have a means to travel through outer space. But really, for all we know, "demon dimensions" may actually be other planets elsewhere in the universe.

13. Admiral_Young

Yeah we've never really been shown anything off of Earth which doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't anything out there.

14. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Demons are aliens? Umm.....sorry, I don't get it. Just seems wrong somehow.

15. Admiral_Young

Who said that?

16. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

It's suggested in post #72 on this thread.

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

But what is an alien? Something that comes from elsewhere, be it another planet or another dimension. I mean, honestly, where is the Hell that Angel got sucked into? Where is Qortoth where Conner grew up? Is it just an Evil version of Earth in an alternate dimension, or is it another planet that had a different evolution? What about the world where Jasmine came from? What is it if not another planet?

18. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

^Another dimension entirely, with physical properties different to what we know. Where demons and the PTB come from, planets as we understand them may not even exist.

Demons have no interest in our universe beyond Earth, so what was the Queller demon doing in space?

19. Admiral_Young

^ You keep saying that demons have no interest in anything but Earth but we don't know that for an absolute fact. I believe that is the point that at least I'm making. To dismiss the possibility that there are absolutely no aliens as we have come to know them in the Buffy Verse is wrong in my opinion. Just because we've not been shown them does not mean they don't exist. Also there is the possibility of extra-dimensional aliens like "Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" theorized. Who knows...maybe the powers that be are Joss's take on aliens :)

20. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

It just feels a bit incongruous to me to have aliens in the Buffyverse; just look at all the myriad races of demons living on Earth. It doesn't need aliens, and I believe it would be a mistake if they were ever introduced into the Buffyverse. In my personal view, all life in the Buffyverse originated either on Earth or in other dimensions. It seems simpler that way.