Smallville10x21&22 "Finale" Discuss/Grade

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, May 13, 2011.

?

Grade "Finale"

1. SUPERMAN (Excellent)

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. The Blur (Above Average)

24 vote(s)
    23.1%
  3. CLARK KENT (Average)

22 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. Kal-El (Below Average)

12 vote(s)
    11.5%
  5. BIZARRO (Poor)

13 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, I can't wait until next season!! Especially with that seven year jump in time! plenty of story potential there.

The cliffhanger was kinda weak compared to previous seasons, but I guess it was the best they could do given the episode. Do you think Clark going after to stop that bomb in time?!?! Or will there be some twist with it?

I can't wait until the fall!!

2. Vyse

Vyse Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's two hours of my life I want back. Now I remember why I stopped watching this show so many years ago (Guess I was still in high school then). Not my cup of tea, way too much melodrama.

3. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Re: So did Clark put on the suit and fly? (Smallville SPOILERS)

Yeah.... three threads is a crowd. Merging with one of the other..... eeny, meeny, miney....

4. Broccoli

Yeah, but Lionel isn't. Besides, this season wasn't about "Clark vs. Darkseid".

Other than what Captain M wrote, Darkseid & Co. were macguffins. They've been that this entire season. The season wasn't about Darkseid's threat. Rather it was about Clark's journey to coming out as a hero. Darkseid's threat was there to influence some of the events for that to happen.

And I thought the idea of a whole frickin' planet crashing into Earth with a ticking clock (including the gov't readying to nuke part of the world) was pretty exciting.

I didn't get the impression they made that much of a deal out of it considering Toyman's plan was thwarted thereby effectively ending Marionette Ventures.

5. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

He wore a blue shirt but the \S/ was CGI

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Have to admit the scene where he realizes he can fly and flexes his muscle/fist, THAT was the moment he became Superman. It was also the the kind of scene this series needed more of.

8. Samurai8472

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeemT-qNrss[/YT]

Well....

One thing after 10 years of being teased and yanked around. We got to see it.

Now on to "Superman Returns"

[​IMG]

You know things are bad when you resort to watching this after a mediocre finale

"Somebody Save MEEE!!!!"

9. Chess Piece Face

Chess Piece Face Commodore Commodore

I thought it was above average. It was better than BSG and Lost in that it stayed true to what the show was and gave us what we wanted to see. Come on! We got to see more than just him taking out the suit and holding it up.

We got to see Superman. Sure he didn't have a big battle with Parademons but Darkseid has never even been on live action TV before. Here he was more about "the darkness" and Clark was their hope.

I thought it was great. People give this show too much crap. Look at all the cool things like the JSA and other DC things it has shown us when just a few years ago nothing like that would ever be on the air.

Remember when this show started...I think Spiderman was just out or just coming out. There were no tons of movies about every superhero.

I also thought the messed up Lex hand under the glove wasn't needed. We could just assume he wore that glove due to a kryptonite ring like in the comics.

I appreciated the fact that they weren't married 7 years later...this fits in with continuity where he is superman for a while first. I also liked that Ollie wasn't in the scene with the boy, maybe he is with Dinah, his real love in the comics.

Either way Chloe is awesome and I'm glad she was the bookends.

This was great. (Although the entire first hour could have been a previous episode and they could have lost oh, I don't know, about 5 or 6 of the dumb episodes this season like Hangover or Children of the Corn).

10. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

This was my review of the finale...

I knew they would disappoint with this finale but I was hoping I was wrong. TPTB should be absolutely embarrassed by the "effort" they put forward.

They wasted the entire first hour on Clark/Lois nonsense.
    Typical WB/CW angst garbage. I mean it's hard to underestimate how bad the first half was. I laughed like crazy when Chloe slapped the wedding ring out of Lois's hand...that was funny on a lot of levels. Clark and Oliver get into a decent fight which sadly turns out to be the best fight in the entire episode.

Tonight's episode was not about Clark Kent becoming a man...it was about a little boy who had to have his hand held and be walked to his destiny. After a decade, Clark Kent is still as indecisive as he was ten years ago and had to have his two dead fathers, his mother, his wife, and his arch-enemy give him pep talks in order to get him to finally do the right thing. The entire world is falling apart and Clark spends 45 minutes running around the entire state of Kansas doing nothing.

Not to mention Clark's bizarre decision to forget about his TRUE father, Jonathan. I thought he had resolved these problems a hundred different times already.

I predicted weeks ago that the "battle" with Darkseid would last only one puch and I was proven correct. The "epic battle" between Clark and Darkseid did the impossible...it made the "epic battle" between Clark and Doomsday look like the greatest fight scene of all-time and that "fight" was an awful embarrassment.

I understand Smallville is the story of Clark Kent but it was completely beyond them to have one episode dedicated to Superman. As far as I'm concerned, we didn't see Superman tonight. We saw CGI Superman. How that is satisfying is beyond me.

And speaking of which...Tom Welling gets an F for being such a prima donna and not wearing the Superman costume. Seriously, would it have been too much of a problem to have worn the costume for one stinking minute? An absolute embarrassment.

Lois gets on Air Force One with a fake ID? Really? Really?!

Thanks goes tonight to Michael Rosenbaum. Without him, this finale would have been a 0. It was so good seeing him again and the show definitely missed him. Loved his scene with Clark and the fallout between him and Tess. Don't know how I feel about the whole memory wipe thing...I would assume he regained his memory to a certain degree in order to become president. Which was pretty damn awesome.

Tess's storyline with all the Luthors was cool tonight. Poor Tess. The writers never knew what to do with her but
    Cassidy Freeman managed to rise above the material.
    The close-up for CGI Darkseid was cool.

Speaking of costumes, Oliver finally puts on his Green Arrow costume for the first time in a year. Why he still disguises his voice is beyond me. Of course, the goodwill is lost when he takes out all of Darkseids minions in one shot. Yet another disappointing Smallville "battle."

Nice to see Chloe, Jonathan, Lionel and Martha again. The Henry/James thing is absolutely ridiculous but it was nice to see Aaron Ashmore again.

My dislike of the finale aside and despite the inconsistent nature of this show, I really am going to miss Smallville. It was a nice way to wind down my weekday. Thanks for the memories, Smallville!

11. Broccoli

This. Yes. Thank you.

12. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost's finale was a mess but nowhere near the clusterfuck this was--LOST only had 6 years worth of expectations to meet and disappoint Smallville had a whole decade. BSG's finale was near perfect and there is no comparing the two.
    That is so trite and simple-minded if that was the point of Darkseid by the writers. Smallville had a bad habit of abruptly resolving things--case in point Oliver's able to overcome the darkness with some words of encouragement from Clark--lame it reminded me of Sayid and Claire's evil/good make over from LOST.
    It deserves it--it is crap. Horrible stale trite writing, some good story ideas poorly executed, aimless storytelling, unsatisfying payoffs.
    We did get those and they were highlights but those were the exception not the norm and a lot of times the way they used DC characters on the show was lame and disappointing.

13. DarthPipes

So does this imply that even with a wiped memory, Lex will always be evil? What a lame idea.

14. Samurai8472

Before Lex died he had at least 4 memory wipes in the series and somehow regained some past memories each time.

[​IMG]

How cheap are they that they use the Brandon Routh CGI model template?

Isn't funny how Rouths behind everything?

-They borrow the SR suit

-They use his image in back of Clark for promotional material

-Even the CGI Superman looks like him

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  15. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Best part of the finale.

16. Broccoli

That's what happens in the comics all the time. Latest example: Action Comics #900.

If the show is crap, then why did you watch?

17. DarthPipes

So seven years into the future, Lois and Clark still haven't married. Which confirms the entire first hour was a waste.

18. Electric Coleslaw

Electric Coleslaw Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Horrible!
    This was a show that was supposed to be about the journey of Clark becoming Superman and all we got to see was the journey of Clark becoming Superman. The lame CGI suit and quickie Darkseid battle? A network like CW with it's vast budget for TV shows should have been able to spend the millions needed for more quality. Lex gets amnesia? Oh please! When has that ever been done in the history of Superman? I swear, it's like this show was based on a comic book or something!

19. Samurai8472

Also Lex's mindwipe.

Lex even pushed Clark towards his destiny. He wasn't there to stop it.

It was a good speech.

Retconned by the lame clone memory erase.

So a total waste.

20. DarthPipes

Martha's freakout over the farm...if you didn't want it sold, you shouldn't have given Clark the deed. She's the only senator who never visits her homestate, having been home only twice in four years. Since Clark doesn't make any money out of being Superman, having a farmhouse that he doesn't use makes no financial sense.