I hope when Spock dies,...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by NotLKH, Mar 15, 2014.

1. NotLKH

NotLKH Lieutenant Red Shirt

Where was Spock when Kirk attended the maiden voyage of the Enteprise-B? Is there, or has there ever been any explanation of Spock's absence?

Anyways, When Spock is finaly facing death, I hope it is not displayed onscreen as a rapid death. I'm hoping that there will be an altered conciousness sequence whereby Shatner will have a final apearance as Kirk, reuniting with his best friend as they both face the true final frontier, even if it really is only the death of a single man.

Best Friends should not be easily lost as we grow older, and in terms of Spock and Kirk, they should represent the true BFF's.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Spock's facing death? He's due to fall into a black hole in 2387, then lives on in the AU. Why kill him off?

3. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Also I'm getting the sense you aren't talking about books there, NotLKH - maybe you should start a thread somewhere else on the forum :techman:

4. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree. :vulcan:

5. NotLKH

True, its not a book that I'm talking about. Do you have any suggestion where better to talk about Star Trek speculative?

And, why kill him off? Just because he is in an AU does not make him immortal.

{IMHO, the true immortal is McCoy. All he has to do is inject himself with the adrenaline based curative to bring himself back to the age he was when "The Deadly Years" started. They were not cured in TDY, just restored, and the desease was mutated to age them in time with normal aging. Next time they are injected and restored to the age they initially contracted the desease, the disease will age them even more slowly}

6. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always attributed McCoy's longevity to the Fabrini medical treatment he'd gotten. Didn't one of the books say that he "holds the record" for longest lived person ever (except for Flint, of course)?

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

"Person"? Do you mean "human?" Since we've met quite a few longer-lived aliens.

8. NotLKH

That would make sense of McCoy living to a healthy old age. I wonder which book attributed it to him?

However, I like my concept better, as it gives most of the main cast {except Chekov} a method of youth-ening and immortality.

9. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Probably a shatnerverse book, which explains his ages by the fact he's always on cutting edge medscience - exoskeletons, cloned organs...which is kind of a logical blip in star trek, since a lot of facets of medicine don't really seem far enough along.

I don't really see any reason why humans shouldn't be immortal by the time of TOS, if they choose to be(I understand why of course - tough to talk about everyone living forever on a tv show where your actors are getting older!).

10. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

The movie forums? General Trek Discussion?

I mean, here's good if you're talking from a purely character point of view, but if you're interested in the cinematic potential and a reappearance of William Shatner, then you need to go to the other forums.

11. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

We shall die alone. It's a very simple and logical concept.
    Even if you have very close, very special friends, you can't share the death experience with them.
    Where was Spock? Somewhere. It's not important. What would you expect from Spock? Should he cry, squeezing in arms his dying friend or doing some other pathetic things? Oh, please, it's a nightmare.
    I'm not happy with Kirk's death, but I'm happy, that this death was done properly.

12. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

"Everybody dies alone, and scared, and that is beautiful." - They Might Be Giants

13. Wally

Wally Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I believe that was in The Return and McCoy would have only been 144 there. Which is only 22 years past the current record of the present day. I think we can just chalk it up to McCoy speaking in hyperbole like he often does. Just because a character says it, doesn't mean it's true.

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I'm fairly sure the novelization of "Generations" briefly explains why Spock, McCoy, Sulu and Uhura had to turn down their invitations to the launch of the Enterprise-B.

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

My idea of the perfect death is to show Spock prime melding with Quinto's newSpock, with the last word being..."Remember"

16. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think NuSpock carrying Spock Prime's katra would probably be problematic since they're basically the same person so separating them when it's time to do that would likely be very hard.

17. Iamnotspock

Iamnotspock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Crucible - Spock: The Fire and the Rose touches on this heavily.

Spock is engaged in a diplomatic mission to Alonis and unable to attend the christening ceremony. McCoy journeys there to inform him of Kirk's apparent death.

18. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That is just it--you don't separate them. This way, nuSpock could answer a Pine/Kirk question from the Prime series point of view. And a return to McCoy saying "scanning" in ST III would be creepy..again.