Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

If Thor is not Roz then it begs the question where Roz has been all this time since the end of the first volume?

2. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

So it turns out that

Young Ice-man is gay and in turn contemporary ice-man is a repressed homosexual.

3. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Come on, who didn't see that coming? :lol:

4. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I think the most recent issue says she has been investigating Roxxon on her own time and discovering their underground toxic waste dump.

It makes sense. Though I thought personally Warren would be a better choice.

5. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm just looking back on all the many girlfriends Iceman has had over the past fifty years...

6. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Beards especially Mystique.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm remembering how racist Bobby's dad got about that Japanese American girlfriend, Opal, Bobby had during his X-Factor days.

Maybe dad was not only a racist, but annoyed with the complexity of the closet his son was burrowing into.

On Glee, there were several points where Kurt tried to tell his pater that he was gay, because Kurt didn't think that dad knew, because he thought that he was passing, and that dad would be surprised and amazed and perhaps resentful, angry and horrified, when dad was only thinking "C'mon son, you can do it, you can do it, you can tell me, just ####ing tell me already, I'm ready, so damn well spit it out!"

Some straight guys like being sodomized, because apparently it feels fantastic, but still they like being sodomized by women, so the sexual act, and performers of that act has nothing to do with Sodomy = gay.

Because of the available technology, it seems that gay men don't want to be with women because they are women and not because of the equipment they were born with, or the equipment the can purchase at reasonable prices.

( ^^ - All that, was a lead up to this next- VV - Sorry.)

Mystique can become physically indistinguishable from a man.

All her lover has to do to get some sausage time, is to ask Raven for sausage time.

And, she doesn't just have to stop at just the one lonely penis.

Raven Darkholme can grow a hundred penises all over her body if she feels the whim to do so.

(Some of her cocks might be like stilts on the soles of her feet. Do you remember moon shoes?)

But it doesn't matter how many penises that she has, because she is still a she, when Bobby has always truly wanted a he.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

9. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Chris Claremont once intended Mystique to be Nightcrawler's father, so maybe Braven isn't a lost cause just yet. ;)

10. Guy Gardener

It's a lost cause because she's a homicidal psychopath who gets hot under the collar for her daughter's hand me downs.

Back when the Future X-Men showed up during that Bendis crossover... Bobby had a masssssssive Gandolfian beard.

One of the Young Bobbies asks old Bobby "What's up with the beard?"

Old bobby replies that it "helps with chicks" and that he should get one of his own (their own) as soon as possible.

Future Bobby told young Bobby to get a beard.

Ye gads.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Ugh, yet another week without my Hickman-Avengers fix! What happened to getting an issue every damn week???

12. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just heard that from a friend and, as a gay person myself I can only say....that it is the stupidest ploy to make the characters "relevant" I have seen since....well since they introduced those stupid "past tense" X-Men in the first place.

This is just another reason I think this whole "infinitely ongoing" comic concept us less then optimal. No matter what changes, interpretations or life/universe/timeline changing events a writer throws at a character/series/universe, in 5 years it will mean nothing.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Three days to the finale of Hickman's Avengers!!! I have been absolutely loving the final phase of his story and I've been dying for weeks to see how it all ends. I'm not particularly invested in the Shi'Ar coming to destroy Earth because that'll never happen... but I'm dying to see how they solve the mulitversal crisis. There's so many balls still in the air. Doom/Rabum Alal. The Beyonders/The White Kings. How will this all get resolved in two over-sized issues? I know this results in the Secret War crossover, but it seems to me that that is a separate story from this, it's the consequence of the solution, not the solution itself.

Oh crap I just realized. How am I going to know which issue I'm supposed to read first?! :eek:

14. Admiral_Young

It's not going to be resolved in the grand finale. The grand finale of "Avengers" and "New Avengers" leads directly into "Secret Wars" itself. Hickman has been very specific in that they fail to repel the final incursion which is the Ultimate Universe Earth colliding into the 616 Earth, everything leads into the creation of Battleworld after that. I guess we will see how in the Free Comic Book Day issue.

"Secret Wars" is the ultimate finale and end game of Hickman's entire run that he pitched way back when.

You'll probably want to pick up the Free Comic Book Day issue of "Secret Wars", then "Secret Wars #1" next week.

15. Guy Gardener

I heard that 1 in 5 people (in the first world) are gay.

These kids, Scott, Jean, Hank, Bobby and Warren were a statistical anomaly.

One of the original X-men had to have been Gay.

I read the coming out scene last week, it was half about Jean being a nosey telepath forcing the issue, and half about the 1960s where he came from, that it was way too difficult to even consider coming out of the closet in the awful backward past.

Marvel time.

The past that Iceman calls home is thought of as a Frankenstein's monster of 1962 and 2002.

Being openly gay in 1962, was still illegal? I believe that Homosexuality until the 1970s in America was still regarded as a mental illness, which therefore could see a person being hospitalized in an asylum until they renounce their preferred orientation believably.

(wiki wiki)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodomy_laws_in_the_United_States

In the past, that far into the past where Bobby Drake should have come from, there was good reason for him to shut the fuck up in public about liking boys, and being careful as he liked boys.

Life imprisonment?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Of course here's the reverse argument to this.

Iceman if he's smart about it, can take out an army by himself.

Definitely a police force, and he can wipe small cities off the map without much effort depending on how his abilities are rated at which point in his development. But they were already building camps to wipeout his people, the gays, and building more camps for his other people the mutants.

The candle was burning at both ends.

(Fictional marvel 616) America should be more careful about who they declare war on.

If I was Iceman, with his powerset, in the right climate, I could easily kill at least 10 thousand people an hour, who were too stupid to drive away from me as fast as possible.

Of course, Michigan wouldn't need to be turned into a golgotha if America was willing to bow to Iceman's will and repeal the sodomy laws in 1962 completely and entirely.

Anyone without their head up their ass must have noticed that the Mutant Registration Act, and Mutants et all (after the 80s) were a thinly veiled metaphor for Homosexuality and the treatment of homosexuals.

Hmmm.

I said in JD's post that Xavier probably muffled Bobby's homosexuality telepathically because he didn't want to over egg the pudding.

Although reading what I wrote above, maybe Xavier retarded Iceman's flaming (sorry) gayness psychically because he was afraid of this Dark Icemen I think was entirely a possibility if the police knocked on the schools doors and demanded that all the gay lads therein were going to dragged out of their cots to prison, to be flogged until they liked vaginas.

Of course.

If young Iceman was from 2002, what a wussy, he had almost nothing to be afraid of and not a lot to rail against relatively compared to 1962. Maybe I'm exaggerating? LGBT didn't have it easy in 2002, but they did have it a fuck of a lot easier than 40 years earlier.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

final issues of New Avengers and Avengers...

four stars again, but I wanted to scream at the lack of resolution. They didn't really end anything they just set up Secret Wars. I was surprised because I thought Secret Wars was about "Battleworld" and the factions fighting each other. But apparently it's going to be the resolution of the multiverse / Rabum Alal / Ivory Kings story. It sounds like too much story to cram in there :eek:

17. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

also, the last issue of Fantastic Four came out. it was a pretty good wrap up. i still think the Quiet Man was kinda lame, but i liked the overall story.

18. Admiral_Young

@Mr. Light I've kept saying that you shouldn't expect a conclusion in the traditional sense from the grand finales, as they're not really grand finales. "Secret Wars" is the true Hickman grand finale. He's said as much himself. All these books ever were were wonderful world building set up books.

19. Guy Gardener

Quiet man is supposed to be lame.

"20 years ago you stole my girlfriend, well, the girl I was maybe almost certainly planing on asking to go out with me, and I have been plotting your downfall ever since, EVEN WHILE YOU WERE DEAD, EVERY TIME YOU HAVE BEEN DEAD!"

It was nice for Bently to see the Wizard stand up and be accounted for. :)

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw someone yesterday describe Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers as something like "a Secret Wars prelude longer than Neil Gaiman's Sandman." That wasn't meant as an endorsement. :)