RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,198
Posts: 5,345,892
Members: 24,604
Currently online: 629
Newest member: LanCo96

TrekToday headlines

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old July 15 2014, 05:23 PM   #571
SpHeRe31459
Captain
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

trekker670 wrote: View Post
jimbotron wrote: View Post
M wrote: View Post
Maybe I missed this earlier in the thread, but what's up with the smiley face Picard's drawing in "Timescape"? It's almost completely invisible! In fact I had to rewind a few seconds just so that my wife could see what that scene was all about. Why did they turn up the contrast so much? Or is it just me?
Yes, the boosted was a little too high for that shot. I was able to clearly see it though. If it's nearly invisible for you, then your TV's contrast might be too high.
The same thing happened in "Tapestry" with the scenes with Q and Picard in the bright white room as well.
No probs with that here, you definitely need to look at setting up your TV properly. Check out something like the Disney WOW disc, which helps you set things like brightness and contrast.
SpHeRe31459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2014, 08:12 PM   #572
trekker670
Captain
 
Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

SpHeRe31459 wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post
jimbotron wrote: View Post

Yes, the boosted was a little too high for that shot. I was able to clearly see it though. If it's nearly invisible for you, then your TV's contrast might be too high.
The same thing happened in "Tapestry" with the scenes with Q and Picard in the bright white room as well.
No probs with that here, you definitely need to look at setting up your TV properly. Check out something like the Disney WOW disc, which helps you set things like brightness and contrast.
This has nothing to do with TV settings, this is comparing the new blurays to the originals. Both of these scenes have some definite contrast variations.

Whether it's due to the limitations of SD or an artistic choice they may for TNG-R can be debated.

Granted, doing a direct comparison between the shots in the two episodes, the differences aren't as noticeable as I had expected. Perhaps my memory deceived me.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2014, 05:33 PM   #573
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

The UK Season 6 set is out on Monday - at friggin' last! Amazon should deliver by Wednesday based on my previous orders. Looking forward to "Relics" in HD the most.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2014, 02:25 PM   #574
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I got this set late... Omg.. The Chase and Relics in HD!!!! Incredible
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 12:40 PM   #575
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Italian season 6 released 24th September according to amazon.it. Pre-release price EUR 39.50
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 03:51 PM   #576
Ysmalari
Ensign
 
Location: London
Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Italian season 6 released 24th September according to amazon.it. Pre-release price EUR 39.50
Well isn't that just a kick in the gentleman's vegetables; Amazon UK's price never dropped below £50 (approx. 63 euros)!!

Still I was rather pleased to get home yesterday to discover Amazon had delivered my copy of season 6 on a Sunday!

Until I saw it in hi-def I hadn't realised how little the night dress Troi is wearing in Man of the People leaves to the imagination.

Last edited by Ysmalari; July 21 2014 at 07:09 PM.
Ysmalari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 11:28 PM   #577
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Ysmalari wrote: View Post
Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Italian season 6 released 24th September according to amazon.it. Pre-release price EUR 39.50
Well isn't that just a kick in the gentleman's vegetables; Amazon UK's price never dropped below £50 (approx. 63 euros)!!
Usually I'd say that we always get ripped off in the UK, but aside from the Italian sets, the French and German copies are nearly as expensive. Even the Canadian dual English/French season 6 was $110 Canadian Dollars from Amazon. Made my eyes water.

Now, on the other hand, the Italian season 5 bought from Amazon Spain is 26.49 EUR (£21). The UK season 5 is £41.75 from Amazon.co.uk.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2014, 11:32 PM   #578
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Ysmalari wrote: View Post
Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Italian season 6 released 24th September according to amazon.it. Pre-release price EUR 39.50
Well isn't that just a kick in the gentleman's vegetables; Amazon UK's price never dropped below £50 (approx. 63 euros)!!
Usually I'd say that we always get ripped off in the UK, but aside from the Italian sets, the French and German copies are nearly as expensive. Even the Canadian dual English/French season 6 was $110 Canadian Dollars from Amazon. Made my eyes water.

Now, on the other hand, the Italian season 5 bought from Amazon Spain is 26.49 EUR (£21). The UK season 5 is £41.75 from Amazon.co.uk.
I wish I had your patience, Admiral Bear! Amazon delivered my set this morning as it happens though!
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 09:41 AM   #579
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Season SIX OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
Ysmalari wrote: View Post

Well isn't that just a kick in the gentleman's vegetables; Amazon UK's price never dropped below £50 (approx. 63 euros)!!
Usually I'd say that we always get ripped off in the UK, but aside from the Italian sets, the French and German copies are nearly as expensive. Even the Canadian dual English/French season 6 was $110 Canadian Dollars from Amazon. Made my eyes water.

Now, on the other hand, the Italian season 5 bought from Amazon Spain is 26.49 EUR (£21). The UK season 5 is £41.75 from Amazon.co.uk.
I wish I had your patience, Admiral Bear! Amazon delivered my set this morning as it happens though!
Patience is a virtue, my dear fellow. It also results in much greater value. I've picked up the first 5 seasons for about £150. I always said I wouldn't buy these Blu-ray sets for more than £25 each after paying £50+ for the DVD sets back in the day. I'm paying a little more than £25 for the majority, but not much more. My bargain was Italian season 2 for £18.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:33 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.