What podcasts do you like to listen to?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by cillirinda, Jan 25, 2014.

1. cillirinda

cillirinda Cadet Newbie

I thought it would be good to have a thread where people share what podcasts they like, so others can know what's out there. I like:

Star Wars: Beyond the Films, exploring the Star Wars Expanded Universe.

Words with Nerds, a generic geeky podcast.

2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I love The Moth, it's basically life This American Life, but the stories are told in front of a live audience.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

5. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I work nights alone so I listen to a lot.

Welcome to Night Vale, an eerie and hilarious radio show set in a fictional desert community.

Nerd & Tie, a podcast one of my friends is on in which they discuss a variety of geeky subjects.

Commentary Track Stars, a series of movie commentary tracks done with the intention that you don't have to be watching the movie to enjoy it. Unfortunately the primary show has ended its run, but its sister shows CTS Babies and CTS: Off Topic are still running. I love the dynamic between these guys.

Fanboy Versus, a comic book review show that is my absolute favorite podcast. Always entertaining and informative, they've unfortunately been on hiatus since June and insist that they're coming back, but their back issues are great listening.

6. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

This American Life - The obvious choice.
    Stuff You Missed in History Class - A short (about 30 minutes) podcast on interesting people/events/phenomena in history.
    BackStory with the American History Guys - History podcast with three historians, each specializing in a different century of American history and discussing a weekly topic.
    RFF Radio - Weekly reality TV podcast, mostly focusing on Survivor, Big Brother, and The Amazing Race. They often have great in-depth interviews with cast members.

7. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Mostly a music podcast called Coverville with a focus on covers. Been listening to it for 5 years now.

8. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

9. oberth127

oberth127 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Desert Island Discs (BBC Radio 4)
    Inside the Huddle (Sky Sports)

There's a few others I listen to sporadically, like The Infinite Monkey Cage & a few Keven Smith podcasts.

10. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

11. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Freakanomics
    TED talk
    This American Life

12. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

Kevin Pollak's Chat Show

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Caustic Soda
    Mysterious Universe
    HorrorETC
    Nerdist

14. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Filmspotting - easily the best movie review podcast I've ever listened to, and I've been listening for several years now. I've been to two of their three live shows.

Filmspotting: Streaming Video Unit - a spin-off focused on, as its name says, streaming video (movies and tv shows on various services such as Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Crackle, online rental, movies on demand, etc.).

The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith - interviews and panel discussions with film writers, directors, actors, and producers.

KCRW's The Treatment with Elvis Mitchell - interviews with film writers, actors, directors.

Nerdist Writers Panel - interviews and panel discussions with various types of writers (television, movies, comics, etc.).

This American Life is a common, though not consistent, subscription, as is Kevin Smith's Fat Man on Batman.

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I listen to a lot, but some of the highlights

Filmspotting SVU
    The Golden Briefcase - Another Movie Show
    Marek vs. Wyshysnki - My favorite podcast, talking about the NHL
    Wait Wait...Don't Tell Me
    NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

IGN Movies' Keepin' It Reel - Geek-centric movie news discussion, some reviews of new movies.

F This Movie! - A podcast about movies, generally one in-depth discussion per episode.

Slate Political Gabfest - informed and lively discussion of national and notable politics.

Slate Culture Gabfest - the hosts (especially the main one) are at times gratingly drippy towards each other, but their discussions are interesting and intelligent.

Slate Spoiler Specials - in-depth discussions of new movies with film critic Dana Stevens.

The Dissolve podcast - film discussion from the site's writers, almost all of whom were top AV Club writers until last summer.

... And I've been listening to parts of the Screen Rant movie podcast lately also.

17. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last night I discovered Nerd Poker, a Dungeons & Dragons campaign starring comedian Brian Posehn and his friends. It's awesome.

18. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Lots, but highlights are the Giant Bombcast (games), The Tuesday Club (Arsenal), Footballistically Arsenal, Stuff You Should Know, and Freakonomics.

19. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

20. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

When people say lots, how much is lots? I always wonder if I'm a podcast addict and listen to too many and I have 14 subscriptions. Does anyone have more than that or even more than 20?