Farscape... I am liking this series...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Joerib, Jul 5, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, a few years back I went to a con where she was a guest and she talked quite a bit about how miserable the makeup made her, and that (I believe) it was the reason she quit.

2. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Thankfully she didn't have too many scenes that revealed her whole body, so I imagine for a good bit of it the makeup was limited to her shoulders and up, plus hands. It looked like it had been airbrushed and remarkably the same, episode after episode.

Here's a nice interview with her that explains it: Virginia Hey - Farscape makeup
    4 layers applied over 3 hours, much of it hand painted!

3. Halmirdax

Halmirdax Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Farscape is fantastic, really great prosthetics that other shows weren't really bothering with. A creative show, I want to watch it again.

4. Roddenberry

Roddenberry Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

One of many, many shows I'm currently watching/re-watching. On disc 2 of season 2 of the bluray right now. Simply fabulous show and if you don't like it, you're crackers and we all know crackers don't matter. :)

5. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

upvoted :techman:

6. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I never get tired of this show. It is my favorite sci-fi series by far.

7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

It explains the whole thing on the DVD extras. The makeup was making her very sick, and over heating. She told her manager and the manager said she wanted off the show. She only wanted to do less episodes and have some hair (to let the heat out and because she wanted hair in real life), but the compunctions between here and the production deal was horrible so she just ended up gone instead.

8. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

What's with all of the hate for CGI?:wtf::confused:

9. Gary7

I wasn't all that enamored with how it finished. The last season in particular... just didn't have the camaraderie of the crew that was established in the first two seasons.

But that said, this is still one of my favorite Sci-Fi series. Just so unusual. Nothing like it has come around since.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

^I thought the last season was fantastic upon subsequent viewings. I wasn't a huge fan of it the first time around, but now it contains some of my favorite episodes.

11. bigdaddy

I agree. Plus I think one of the commentaries talks about how the 4th season was supposed to be the end of the first part of the show and the start of the next chapter, the middle section of the show, that they were thinking past the 5 planned seasons to 6 or 7 or even 8 seasons.

12. selina

selina Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for sharing. I knew that there was some "issue" with her make-up, but this is new to me. It seems like a bit of an overreaction to let her go.

13. Gary7

You have a good point. I'll have to watch it again. Oh the pain, the pain! ;)

14. bigdaddy

Well it seems to be miscommunication between her and her manager and the show creators. She even admitted that she doesn't know if the creators were told what was going on.

I'm sure if there was better talking on the set they could have grown her some hair and just said she was blooming or something.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Any idea if the comics are at all close to what we would have gotten if the show had continued?

Have any of you guys read them? I'm almost up to date on a couple of the other comics series I'm reading in trades, so I'll probably be reading them some time in the next few months.