No Radiation Suits In The 23rd Century?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by austen_pierce, Sep 14, 2013.

1. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

No. If TWOK Khan had super blood he would have fared better when Kirk blasted Reliant's bridge. Or recovered noticeably during the Genesis countdown sequence. Just no.

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everyone else on that bridge was dead except for Khan, so yes. Just yes.

The blood obviously does not make one immortal, but it does seem to make one more resilient to illness and damage. TWOK and STiD supports this.

3. austen_pierce

I'm still not convinced about Khan in TWOK. In Space Seed, TOS McCoy would have had to have missed this during the course of his tests on Khan while in sickbay.

4. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I love him to pieces, but I'm sure McCoy missed a number of things that weren't convenient to the plot of a particular episode. Same for Kirk, Spock, et al. Remember "Tomorrow is Yesterday," where Spock conveniently forgot to check whether Captain Christopher would have sired children? Huge glaring oversight, and something any logical person would check, but nope, and why? It would have resolved the storyline without any drama.

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Having blood with regenerative properties doesn't make him Wolverine, capable of visibly healing grievous wounds in seconds. Half his face and body was burned extra crispy. That's gonna take a while. Kirk wasn't even visibly damaged from the radiation and he took a few weeks in a coma to recover.

6. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Maybe he didn't perform the same battery of tests that NuMcCoy did. Khan is aboard the Enterprise under different circumstances in each case. Khan in STID is terrorist/prisoner has exhibited some pretty amazing powers, while in "Space Seed" they had barely scratched the surface of what Khan could do and he is simply a guest.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I love that people somehow are able to keep a straight face bitching about magic blood and yet are mentioning the magic terraforming torpedo in the very same paragraph. :guffaw:

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Well, I'll give them that, because the Genesis device is an actual piece of technology which was specifically made to do what it does. It terraforms planets because it was made for that purpose. Believe the science or not, but that alone makes it somewhat plausible.

Khan's blood, on the other hand, was totally out of left field.

9. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

They introduced the concept early in the movie. That's why Mickey blows up the Kelvin building, to get some for his sick daughter. So it isn't like Kirk dies and they suddenly introduce that Khan has magic blood. That detail is there from the beginning.

10. BillJ

Genesis was made to restore Spock to that just perfect age so Leonard Nimoy could resume playing the character after dying?

:p

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

A torpedo that has no warhead, that *vapourises* the entire surface of a planet in minutes, a more devastating weapon than anything the Federation had ever maufactuered before, somehow then magically, having been blown up itself, makes the surface "get better" just as fast, and produce complex cellular life.

Millions of years at least condensed into 5 minutes. From something that suicides itself instantly blasting away a planets surface?

That's more miraculous than genetically engineered blood that can give a boost to the body's already existing cell repair mechanism, that still takes time to recover and a fair amount of of pain anyway?

Fuck...ing...wow.

12. austen_pierce

Thank you for pointing this out. So:

Genesis=Magic Blood=Bring Major Character Back To Life

and I'm not bitching about the blood. I'm debating whether TWOK Khan had it. From a plot perspective he didn't need it... Genesis provided the needed resolution.

13. BillJ

Fair enough. This forum has me a little twitchy lately and sometimes I answer some posts in the wrong manor.

Apologies. :techman:

14. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ahem. "Six" minutes. ;)

As for the OP, someone up thread gave a suitable enough response, there was too little time.

15. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I'm stunned the Federation didn't continue research on the Genesis device. Done properly it is literally a miracle device.

16. BillJ

Or a frightful weapon.

Transwarp beam one of those puppies onto each of the Klingon worlds and you have a bunch of newly habitable colony worlds. :eek:

17. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed. You kind of wonder how the Federation avoided war with the Klingons after they became aware of the project.

Now I'm thinking it might have been more interesting if the Feds and Klingons had moved closer to a full-scale war than is depicted in TUC in part because of Genesis at the time Praxis exploded.

For that matter, was TUC hindered because we'd already seen TNG and knew how things with the Klingons were going to work out?

18. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think they barely avoided war. First, a group of Klingons attempted to steal the secrets of the device for the Empire, but were sidelined by Kirk. The Klingon ambassador vowed there would be no peace as long as Kirk lived. Things were headed south, but the winds changed when Praxis exploded.

19. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

My understanding is roughly 7 years pass between TVH and TUC. That's a long time to be "barely avoiding" war, especially with a race as volatile as the Klingons.

Then again, I guess our own Cold War wasn't exactly short...but then, both sides had equally devastating WMDs to play with.

20. BillJ

Perhaps the Federation just handed over the schematics to the Genesis torpedo?