Continuity in star trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by adellone92, Sep 1, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You can miss one or two episodes and still generally be ok in a more serialised show. If something you have missed is important to this episode it's usually mention in the "Previously on..." bit

2. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Like you wouldn't have. ;)

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Yeah, but the problem I had watching later seasons of DS9 and ENT was I was often missing several weeks, and when I would catch a show, it was a standalone, or I'd missed so much of the setup I didn't know what was happening.

4. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

In some respects it easier today than say 10 or 20 years ago. With DVR's you can just set it to record an entire series with the press of a button. And you can watch them as and when yo get the time. Back in the days of VHS you had to remember to set the VHS to record the show (yes I know some you get to record same time each week, but you still had to remember to put in a tape and set it record mode).

5. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

So what? Those things were NOT hard...

Honestly, the laziness of the kids today....

6. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

With just the sheer number of encounters it would have been hard not to mention at least some of them again.

Areel Shaw the lawyer- semi serious relationship

Janice Lester - serious relationship

Carol Marcus --serious relationship that produced a son he knew about

Miramanee-- he married her, lived with her several months, and almost had a child with her.

Edith keeler--fell deeply in love

Elaan of Troyus--seduced Kirk with a special bonding pheromone in her tears--no cure for it.

Rayna, the Android --he fell head over heels in love with her. Granted, Spock erased the memory of her from his mind, (it was so strong) but even if Kirk kept the memory of her, who wants to bet she would have been mentioned again?

Deela may have very well have had offspring with Kirk.

TNG was a little better, although it did some of the same things.

Picard reunited Vash. Riker remembered Minuet. Worf reunited K'ehlar.

It's so funny--I cant even begin to add all the women Kirk either seduced, had a relationship with, seduced Kirk. Add the movies and the number jumps a bit.

It does get confusing.

But one of the things that I eventually discovered that I liked about watching serialized shows, is the fun of trying to figure out who's who and whats happening.

When I first watched TNG reruns (no DVDs) I thought Cmder Riker was the same character as Captain Thadiun Okona because they kind of look similar. (As stupid as that sounds :lol: )

It made no sense that he was not part of Starfleet, but then suddenly he's the second in command of the Enterprise, so I had to wait and re-watch to figure it all out.

The same thing with DS9, Enterprise, Spartacus, Clone Wars,Game of Thrones etc.

Watching a serialized show right in the middle of it running is kinda fun if you look at that way.

7. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well Billy Campbell who played Okana was the first pick to play Riker before being dropped because they considered him to be too soft.

8. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

I've often wondered about this one. I wish it had been followed up on in a novel or something.

9. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I hadn't heard that before. I knew Campbell had been in the running to play Riker, but I just assumed he had been passed over because Roddenberry, Justman and Berman preferred Frakes. I didn't know the reasoning behind it.

10. Nightdiamond

That's interesting-- my first impression after that episode was that they were one and the same, which couldn't possible make any sense in the story.

Must have been the beard.

There's an interesting scene where Deela is nuzzling up to Kirk, they cut to another scene, and then when they return to them, Kirk is sitting on a bed pulling his boot up, and Deela is brushing her hair :lol:.

11. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Yes, I know that scene well. I was wondering if she got pregnant due to that encounter.

12. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

No doubt in my mind.....

13. Nightdiamond

I wonder how that slipped through 60's censors to begin with. They could have just extracted the material they needed.

They made it point to use the word "mate".

The fact that they're in Kirk's quarters where they showed his bed makes it very suggestive.

Kirk is shown basically giving in and they share a passionate kiss (they're both standing). When they return to the scene afterwards, Kirk is sitting on the bed pulling up his boots, and gives like an exasperated sigh he just did something . Deela is brushing her hair-again. Wayyyy too suggestive.

The funny thing, is Voyager did the lame continuity thing also. Janeway and Paris actually did it and had children --reptile salmander children.

Never mentioned it again. :lol:

14. Nine of Four

Nine of Four Commander Red Shirt

^ ^ Tru dat!! :rommie::rommie:

15. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

:wtf:

I don't believe I would have ever mentioned it again either.

16. Nightdiamond

lol

It is kind of interesting how 90's Voyager pulled a TOS style 'never again refer to this happening' thing with that. It didn't even seem to phase them.

On a slightly serious note, their children were supposed to be advanced---just as intelligent as their parents. Wonder why they didnt bring them back and restore them like they did Janeway and paris.

Despite the odd situation it would have created.