The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Yeah, my collecting is kinda eclectic. :lol:

My main focus is superheroes, and that's easily what I have the most of, but I'm not above grabbing anything that catches my fancy. DC Universe Classics (now Unlimited) and Marvel Legends are my favorite lines. I've got some figures based off of video games, and various movies, and a good amount of Star Wars. I do have quite a few Hot Toys, though I've moved away from that quite a bit due to the escalating price. The Avengers are the only thing I'm got coming down the pipe from them right now.

I think it's great the variety of collecting we see in here. You've got people like me who buy a bit of everything, and people like eddie who buy a lot of a specific area. There's more than one way to collect.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I am just starting to collect stuff again but I'm really focused on DC (mainly Batman and Superman) some Marvel stuff (like Spider-Man and X-Men), and MOTU. Oh and Trek stuff as well.

3. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I've noticed that the Hot Toys figures have really jumped in price. I'm late to the game so my Avengers set will be incomplete. I missed Hawkeye and Nick Fury (and refuse to pay ebay prices). But I'm looking forward to Thor, the Mark VII Iron Man and Tony Stark. I have not decided if I'll get Coulson. I kind of want a Batmobile (the coming 66 version in particular) but they are huge and way expensive.

4. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Some people think it's Hasbro simply not wanting to take any unnecessary risks with a U.S. retail market that's still saturated with lots of leftover 2012 product that's not selling. That might hold some validity until you realize that the company is still shipping cases of 2012 figures that didn't sell last year and just making things even worse.

At least if they shipped the new 2013 product it'd get a lot of initial buyers because most American collectors are thirsting for new product and mad that most new stuff won't start hitting until the end of summer and beginning of fall. If the market's going to be hit with a slew of additional figures it would make a lot more sense for them to be new or new-ish and not just more of the same junk nobody wanted six or twelve months ago.

Frankly you have people lining up on both sides of the argument, the Hasbro defenders and the critics....and some people try to play both sides of the fence. In the meantime, Brits, Germans, Spaniards and Canadians get new figures and we Yanks have to continue staring at store pegs full of the same-old 2012 stuff even though we're the world's biggest and most successful market for these lines.

I don't get it. All I can say is....

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WORamP7xqHg[/yt]

5. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I'm watching Hoarders: Buried Alive right now...and it always leads me to wonder at what point does our collecting become hoarding?

I take solace in the fact that I don't have a hard time walking around my place and not in danger of losing functionality in any part of my home...but damn is it creepy to occasionally see hoarders that "collect" comics and figures. :eek:

6. OdoWanKenobi

That is going to get so much use in this thread. :lol:

I think collecting becomes hoarding at the point where you are no longer buying because you enjoy the things you buy, but from a need to have them all. Thankfully, I haven't reached that point yet.

7. cooleddie74

Don't forget the Brony Thread. ;)

8. OdoWanKenobi

Of course. It's probably even more relevant there.

I'm curious what the context of that was.

9. cooleddie74

The main characters were playing an old Simon game from 30 years ago and Klaus the talking goldfish lost.

Don't ask.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Periodically, I'll go through a purge and get rid of a ton of stuff--including some things that I'll regret doing so later. A lot of it has to do with moving house every so often and not wanting or able to take everything with me.

Man, the amount of stuff I've pitched probably might be considered criminal to collectors, including a mostly intact Eagle transport from Space: 1999 that I just didn't have room for in my new place several years ago.
    http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2689/4302033730_2485d43896_z.jpg?zz=1

11. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't collect stuff on a regular basis. In the 90's, I collected the Playmates Star Trek figures, when LOTR came out in 2001-2003, I bought a bunch of those. Then nothing until The Avengers came out...and I kind of limited myself to Hawkeye and Black Widow (except for the special 8 pack which included all Avengers plus Loki and Fury).

I haven't bought any Star Wars figures since 1980. :p Last one I had was Princess Leia in the Bespin gown.

12. cooleddie74

But it's still cool that you have what you do, otherwise we wouldn't be able to enjoy the many domestic adventures of Clint and Tasha. :)

Let us collect everything else....you focus on your specialty.

13. OdoWanKenobi

It doesn't matter if your collection is big or small. All lovers of plastic pop-culture icons are welcome here.

Also, we all love your Clint and Natasha adventures. This thread would be much less bright without them. :D

I did get some clarification about why I'm getting Thor seemingly early. Sideshow apparently got a very small batch, and decided to give them to the people who had flex-payments scheduled for March 5th. I was among the lucky ones who did, so I wind up in Sideshow's first Thor batch. The rest should be coming to them within twenty days or so.

14. cooleddie74

When you start finding long-lost potato chip bags and the remains of Jimmy Hoffa.

15. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm no where near close to hoarding yet. I've only got four figures so far ;)

16. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I have many things planned for them. :evil: :lol:

17. cooleddie74

I can't wait.... :devil:

18. cooleddie74

Hey Kids!!!

Do you like Star Wars action figures? Preferably brand-new action figures that have never been made before? And is it even cooler when they're of characters so obscure that even the actors who played them probably don't know anything about or even remember them?

Then you're gonna like this....

19. OdoWanKenobi

Yes. Finally Hasbro is releasing this much needed, absolutely vital and fan demanded character. The line has been woefully incomplete before now.

:wtf:

20. cooleddie74

At this point no ultra-obscure background character surprises me anymore. I guess if there's a bright side to this it means the current drought of product caused by last year's colossal mess won't last much longer and we'll return to a wider and more eclectic selection.