Coming July 2013: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE — RISE OF THE FEDERATION

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Christopher, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Everything I keep reading about this project continues to excite me. This is probably my most anticipated Trek Lit book this year :)

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ditto the more I hear about this novel the more intriguing this books storyline about the Federation being founded.I hope will be a continuing series of books.:techman:

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Me too. This is probably the most exciting release this year for me...

4. Janos

Janos Commander Red Shirt

Since the series will be post 2161, will Archer be a Captain, Commodore or Admiral? Looks like his career path shows at Memory Beta he's an Admiral by 2164.

I haven't finished the Romulan War trade paperback yet, but what were the ranks of the Enterprise crew at the end? I imagine there may be promotions by the time we get to the first issue of this new series?

So it will be like focus on the World/Federation at around 2163 through the eyes of (former) Enterprise crew (wherever they are) and a few new characters too (a la the other Trek Lit post TV series finale "relaunches")? With maybe a few long-lived characters like "a" Dax or others from TOS/TNG era; earlier versions?

Cool. I'm just curious what the "core" Federation Ship will be for Archer or the series if not an Enterprise. That said, PAD did have New Frontier focus on the crews of the Excalibur and Trident so I guess two or more core ships isn't out of the question?

I am intrigued, Christopher.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There should be some information about crew promotions in the official cover blurb. I'd prefer not to spoil anything before it's released.

Umm, that's pretty much a paraphrase of what I said in the first post of the thread, I think.

Indeed not. Consider also that Vanguard had at least three featured ships at any given time.

6. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

If I may, Christopher, I have a question: you've mentioned that Rigel is featuring in the novel - just how prominent is the Rigel system (if telling us won't be revealing too much, of course)?

I ask because a friend on another forum, who seems to count Enterprise as his favourite Star Trek series (I believe it was also the first one he saw) really likes the Rigellians (not yet sure why, but why not, I suppose?) and is interested in learning more about them. He hasn't yet read any of the novels, but he's interested in starting; an Enterprise-era novel featuring Rigellians (or Denobulans, for that matter, his other favourites) would be ideal.

He's specifically wondered "why wasn't Rigel among the UFP founders when it was represented at the Coalition conference?", so if this novel is exploring the early UFP-Rigel relationship I can't think of a better entry point to Trek lit.

7. Christopher

Actually all I said was that I'd done some thinking about the Rigel system as background for the Rise of the Federation setting. I've thought about a lot of aspects of that setting that won't necessarily be featured in A Choice of Futures, because I've approached it as a potential series.

That said, the Rigel system is visited in the course of ACoF, but it isn't explored in depth... yet.

The Good That Men Do established that the Rigelians were scared off from joining the Coalition by the acts of Terra Prime. Presumably that was why they didn't join the UFP at first either.

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

IIRC, the early 1980s publication, "Star Trek Maps" (with "Introduction to Navigation"), indicated that the "Rigel Colonies" were a very busy place, but the presence of the antagonistic Orions and Kalar probably meant that the Colonies weren't ready to be part of the new UFP taking shape. From memory, "the Goldsteins' "Spaceflight Chronology" gelled with this, probably by fluke.

"Star Trek Star Charts" moved both the Orions and Kalar out of the Rigel system featured in "Enterprise" but, again, each time someone visits Rigel, the multi-race nature of its populations, and importance of the region for trade, seem to be features.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  9. Christopher

10. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Christopher, any idea on when we can expect a blurb and cover art?

11. Christopher

^Not my department, I'm afraid.

12. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just wait and see then I guess. :)

13. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And like so many things lately in TrekLit, it has been revived.

Cross Cult has announced today that they will give Enterprise another try and have (re)started to work on Kobayashi Maru.

So I guess the chances of your book being published in German have risen as well, Christopher. :)

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

But didn't they drop out early?

15. Christopher

^From what Memory Beta says, there are several related but conflicting sources about Rigel's status from around that time, some saying they were a founder, some saying they almost were but held off, etc. I don't know what the SFC specifically said beyond what's cited in that Memory Beta article I linked to, since the SFC is a book I've never actually gotten around to buying.

16. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I just finished reading The Romulan War in anticipation for this since I know that the new book will pick up where Romulan War ended.

But Christopher what I'm curious to know is this: Are you continuing the T'Pol Trip thread(We last some them married) .... Possibly? Maybe? Was Michael being purposely vague?

17. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ditto I was hoping the Trip/T'pol story thread they were married and their story would be explored further in future Enterprise books too!

18. Christopher

Remember, that epilogue scene in To Brave the Storm was set in 2186. A Choice of Futures is set in 2163-4. So it would take a while to get them to that point.

19. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So basically in your story we get the following:

Trip's still undercover
    The Aftermath of the War.
    Starfleet as we know it today coming together

I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting.

Do we get to see a new Enterprise get commissioned as well?

I'm also curious to see how it went from NX to NCC and why...

20. Christopher

Maybe. You'll know what you get when you get it. ;)

Canon makes it clear that NCC-1701 is the first Federation starship named Enterprise, and it's generally accepted that it was commissioned in 2245.

The "NX" designation is generally used for experimental vessels, test platforms for new technologies. The first time we ever saw the designation was in The Search for Spock, where the Excelsior as a transwarp testbed was designated NX-2000. But when we saw the Excelsior years later in The Undiscovered Country, equipped with standard warp drive, its registry was NCC-2000.