Is Joss Whedon's 'Ripper' still being made?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by I am not Spock, Aug 28, 2008.

1. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

A few months ago, it was said on here that the BBC and Joss Whedon were in negotiations to produce a made-for-TV Rupert Giles movie (presumably after the success of the BBC's Dr Who and Torchwood which made sci fi 'cool' again)

Is this still happening? I haven't heard anything about it since. I know Whedon is working on Dollhouse at the moment, but hopefully it will be successful, and he can gain some clout to make other projects he wants to do (including Ripper).

It's been too long since we've had a Joss Whedon show on TV. I've missed him terribly.

2. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Ripper" has been in talks since Anthony Stewart Head left "Buffy" during it's sixth season. Everyone seems to want it, but it never moves forward. I consider it vaperware, and it'll never make it to television.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Every so often theres an announcement to say its getting more attention, but nothing ever gets done, I don't really expect this one to happen.

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

In a word: no

5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

That line goes perfectly with your avatar:lol:

6. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

This is a fantastic phrase and I will be using it regularly from now on. :techman:

7. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

If it was, I assure you -- Whedon himself would post about it at Whedonesque.com, as he does every once and a while.

8. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Not vamperware?

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Since it (if ever) will focus on Giles, magic and zombies and 'not' Vampires, no. :p

10. Ethros

Cheers, good old Oz. Speaking of a Giles spin-off I saw there was an Oz spin off too. But I tuned in and it seems the networks messed with the format, turned it into some prison show. Where were the werewolves I ask you!?

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

Ahh, we had a couple of threads at Buffy Boards about spin offs, one serious and one parody, I think my "finger puppet season 9" kinda won.

12. Ethros

^ Not SlayAlive.com by any chance?

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

If that's the Oz I'm thinking of, the werewolves were probably hiding to avoid being hideously violated by Verne Schillinger and his boys. :rommie:

14. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I always thought Ripper was a terrible idea to begin with. Giles was a wonderful supporting character, but I just can't see a series based around him.

I feel that way about pretty much all of the proposed Buffy spinoffs (Faith, Spike, etc). The only character it really made sense to spin off - Angel - was done.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Duke Nukem Forever will be released before Ripper is made. :devil:

16. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Anthony Stewart Head is currently starring in "The Invisibles," about a pair of over-the-hill bank robbers trying to survive their retirement years. It's a wonderful show and seems to be very popular, so I doubt he'll be doing anything else for awhile.

17. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I think the last I read was early in the year saying there may be some problem with the rights, this is the latest thing I could find.

18. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

Actually The Invisibles ended a while ago, I believe the next thing he's in is Merlin, it starts this autumn on BBC and mid-season on NBC I think.

19. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

No, literally "Buffy Boards", its the Buffy version of this place. Same board software, about the same size with as many or more members.

20. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Ripper will feature a track from Chinese Democracy as it's theme tune ;)