Lost 5x06: "316"

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Agent Richard07, Feb 18, 2009.

?

Grade the episode...

1. Excellent

57.3%
  2. Above Average

20.0%
  3. Average

17.3%
  4. Below Average

4.0%
  5. Poor

1.3%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, glad to see them make it back so soon... to the island... of the past.

:wtf:

So the Oceanic 6, having been gone from the island for years, have made it back to the island of the past where our heroes have been there for? Days?

Weeks?

Ugh. I'm confused.

:lol:

2. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

If Jin is wearing a Dharma uniform, their original plane hasn't crashed yet.
    So they're atleast a decade in the past.

3. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

The boat ride would have been from England, where Widmore gave Desmond the information about Hawking, to LA. To get there before she left and to get this over with for Penny's sake I think they would fly.

But I could be wrong. Penny was my initial thought in the commentary thread and for both reasons you mentioned (revenge and getting Desmond to the Island). I'm just really hoping it isn't.

4. exodus

Why wouldn't the boat ride be from L.A., where he is now?

5. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sun left her kid with grandma when she came to L.A.

6. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

The ride *to* LA, not *from* LA. He's saying that he thinks Desmond arrived in LA by plane rather than boat, because going from the UK to Cali by boat would take a ridiculously long time. If so, then he wouldn't have a boat docked in LA.

7. exodus

Ok, my bad.
    I got it now, thanks.:)

8. chrisspringob

I'm not sure what you mean by "the others clearly didn't trust Hawking". Desmond was upset with her, but that doesn't mean that she's a liar. Anyway, if it were me, and Ben really wanted to get me back to the Island, and Hawking seemed to want to get me back there too, then I would demand some answers as a condition of my cooperation. Yes, there's a good chance they would just tell lies, but who knows....you might get some kernel of the truth in there. This was one of the few times when the Losties had some kind of leverage over people in the know, and they didn't even try to take advantage of it.

(Of course a similar dynamic exists with Faraday. He clearly seemed to know something about the Island and its time travel properties and so forth before signing up to work on the freighter, but no one ever expresses more than mild annoyance with his refusal to tell his story. No one ever grabs him by the neck and shakes him, yelling "Why the f won't you tell us what's going on?")

I definitely don't think she killed him (unless it was an accident or something). What possible motivation would there be for that? And handing him off to her mother wouldn't really solve anything, and doesn't really explain why she would be so distraught when Jack finds her in his bedroom.

I'm assuming that Aaron was kidnapped, or killed by someone else, or at least is presumed dead, and Kate is the prime suspect....and that the only way for her to escape from the law is to go back to the Island.

9. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Interesting dichotomy with the votes.... Usually the results follow a bell curve, but not here.

We seem to have two separate populations of voters - One which really likes this kind of Lost episode, and another which doesn't. Just interesting.

Personally I can't for the life of me see why someone would think this episode is excellent, but I'm sure that point of view is mutual. :lol:

10. label

label Vice Admiral Admiral

Point of fact, the vast majority of fans who voted think the episode is excellent so the typical Lost fan dug the episode. (And I agreed with them........I mean what's not to like things are really starting to move in this season......) That being said however, I got to work today and one of my friends at work couldn't stand the episode so there you go.

Course, his biggest gripe is that he got way too much jack screen time off the island.........me, I'm just tickled pink they're already back on the island.

11. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The problem is that things moved too quickly and we all know that the rest of the season is going to be spent answering the questions that this episode needlessly brought us. I would have much preferred 3-4 episodes which explained all this stuff before the 316 crash rather than viewing it all in a flashback like we are going to have to now.

But for me what I didn't like about this episode is how slowly it moved. So much stuff happened yet the tone was out of sync with the story being told. I voted Average, but I would have voted it below average were it not for this one little piece.

Jack: What will happen to the other people on this plane?
    Ben: Who cares?

Once again, Ben saves an episode. Good old Ben. :)

12. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

We have 24 eps/season and it moves too slow. They listen and cut it down to 16 eps/season and it's too fast. No wonder the producers drink heavily.

13. chrisspringob

Wait a minute....if the castaways are all trapped with Dharma in the 1970s, then it's possible that they'll end up interacting with young Ben, and that he actually recognized them when he met them again in 2004.....but he of course never said anything about it before, because he never shows his cards.

Heck, it's possible that much of the Dharma/Hostiles conflict was because of information that the Losties brought back from the 21st century.

14. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Imagine how many lives could have been saved if Jack had listened to John after he put a knife in Naomi's back.

15. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Possibly, but the Freighter folk had already found the island by that time anyways so it might not have changed that much.

As for the lack of people answering questions, maybe Ben and Ms. Hawkings did meet the Losties back in the past. So they don't want to give them to much information because Ben's and Eloise's past is still the Losties future. And they can't give them too much info about their own future in case something goes wrong.

16. chrisspringob

The question isn't why Ben and Hawking don't tell them anything, it's why the Losties don't even bother to ask.

(Maybe a future episode will include a flashback in which we find out that, right after Desmond storms out, they *did* ask, and that Hawking told them everything. Hey, I can dream, can't I?)

17. zengoth

zengoth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

or why Jack never sat down with Ben during their time in L.A. and asked, "so all that messed-up stuff you put us through back on the island..what was that all about?"

yeah, i know...if Ben's always a liar, why bother asking. But Jack's always been the man wanting answers and having a plan.

speaking of which - who gets on a plane hoping to end up in the jungle and wears a suit?

18. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had no problems with the pace of seasons 1-3 I just thought they needed to cut out the filler episodes. Season 4 had a perfect pace. I just happen to think that this latest episode just went too far too quickly because the following episodes are going to get stalled in explaining everything which has happened here.

19. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Who says that Desmond and Penny were on the same timeline as the O6? The events we saw with them could have been several weeks or even months before the O6's story begins in season 5 which would give them more than sufficient time to sail from wherever they were to England to L.A. Desmond would want to stay off the grid as much as possible. Sailing as opposed to flying would help that goal a lot more.

20. Mallet

Mallet Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well I guess they were trying to recreate the original flight experience as much as possible and Jack was wearing a suit the first time.

As for why Jack didn't talk to Ben during the flight when they were sitting right next to each other I have no idea. Unless Jack tried to and Ben ignored him or wouldn't answer him (but if that was the case, then they should have at least shown that). Or if not Jack (he seems have given into fate) at least Sun seems to be logical/practical enough to do some questioning while in flight.