Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

RDJ is in this thing? :p

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I guess "strange tales" was harder to work into the dialogue! :)

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Plus it's all one big connected universe now (except the parts they don't have the license for). Marvel has always been promiscuous in its cross-referencing, so why should this show be any different?

4. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Synopsis for 1.04, "Eye-Spy"...

Coulson's cellist?

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yep, just like Jeffery Hunter was in Star Trek.:p

6. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Seen the pilot. It was ok, I guess. :shrug:

The flying car thing at the end felt kinda silly. Like, "Eureka" silly. But then again, this is the universe in which Norse gods are real, so it's not really an issue.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's also a universe where the same organization has a flying aircraft carrier, where a billionaire has an array of flying armor suits, and where that same billionaire's father was shown demonstrating a prototype flying (or at least hovering) car over 70 years in the past. If anything, what's implausible is that there aren't more flying cars in the MCU by this point.

8. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

This. Pretty much, yeah.

9. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watched it - very flat with some quite wooden acting, average at best.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's probably worth pointing out, in the MCU at least, Norse gods aren't "real" so much as they're just long-lived, near immortal alien whom ancient humans took to be gods. ("Any technology significantly advanced..." )

The flying car struck me as just "looking silly" since it looked, and played out, a lot like the ending of Back to the Future. But on thinking about it it fits in a universe with a flying aircraft carrier and a man in a flying mechanical suit powered by a electromagnet that generates near limitless amounts of energy.

It fits in an already pretty fantastical universe on thinking about it just that on first-blush it was a bit goofy.

11. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

12. Dixie Flatline

Dixie Flatline Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think I underrated the pilot. Top notch fight scenes, some very good twists, and the acting wasn't as wooden on second viewing. The speech about it not being enough to be a man in these trying times had me cringing a bit, yeah, but that's forgivable.

Question: are people aware of mutants and Spider-man in this tv show's world?

13. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

No, because Fox holds the rights to X-Men, and Spidey is still Sony's. :lol:

14. Turtletrekker

Of course people in the show's universe are aware of the X-men and Spider-Man... from comic books, cartoons and movies. ;)

15. Dixie Flatline

Dixie Flatline Lieutenant Red Shirt

16. Turtletrekker

^:lol:

First clip from "0-8-4". It would seem that Skye will officially be a consultant, like Stark, not a SHIELD agent.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OphhAZpCu60[/yt]

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Well, it was O.K. but not great. Good enough to keep me watching, but not really, er, 'Whedon'-ish for me. I expected a little more wit.

It was all shiny and zippy, but the plot was predictable, the cast so-so and the CGI dodgy in places.

It should improve as it goes on. I hope.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Watching that clip, I can't help but wonder once again where the rest of SHIELD went. Isn't chasing down new superpowered threats something that you'd want the entire organization in on-- or at least more than the five people we see here?

Is everyone else just waiting on standby until the next alien invasion or something? Somehow it just seems like an awfully small team for the mission they're undertaking.

19. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Maybe Coulson and his group is just one of many teams that are out chasing down super powered folk.

20. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Probably, there's more than one such field investigation team out there in the world.