Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Yes, from Anovos.com. Standard line. A little pricey but the quality and accuracy are top notch.

2. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been in awe of your work, but I just wanted to comment on that particular photo you have with Shatner.

Shatner looks incredible for a man in his 80s. I'd never believe it. He could pass for a man in his 50s, easily. Good Lord it's amazing.

3. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

Would LOVE to see your renditions of the movie era bridge. My personal fave was the bridge used in TUC. :-)

4. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ I really liked the TUC bridge as well. However, the new turbolift locations - located farther apart than on the TFF version of the bridge - would have technically placed them outside the housing of the original bridge module, which had not changed on the filming miniature. If they had kept them in their original locations, it probably would not have been as spacially awkward. From a production standpoint, I get it - they wanted to reuse the bridge for the Excelsior scenes with the extra alcove behind the Captain's chair necessitating the spreading-apart of the lift doors. Would have fit in fine on the Excelsior, but not on the Enterprise. The refit bridge with the TWOK - TVH changes was always my favorite, though. I loved the chairs! :)

5. Donny

I plan on making the TUC bridge as well, sometime down the road. But for the immediate future, I plan on focusing on how it was seen in TWOK.

6. Donny

Just a little tinkering with Unreal 4...seeing how the TWOK corridors fair with the new engine. The new reflective surfaces really sell the realism.

[​IMG]

Below you will see my earlier attempt with the Unreal 3 engine. Not only has the engine improved, but so have my modelling skills:
    [​IMG]

7. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

Looking good!

8. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That brushed aluminium panel looks great in the new render!

9. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Damn. I can almost see James Horner hustling down the corridor.

BTW, are the TWOK corridors actually narrower than the TMP ones? Or is that a myth?

10. 137th Gebirg

I think the straight corridor down to the central turbolift was basically the same (the one shown in the renderings above), but the rounded corridors definitely seemed more cramped, with one side vertical and the other angled in on top and bottom. The weird angle of those walls would make it damn near impossible to allow more than 2 people to pass each other or walk abreast. From a production POV, I'm not sure how they got the cameras to navigate down those halls, especially considering how massive the TOS hallways were by comparison. Where did all that extra space on the ship go?

11. Donny

I'm pretty sure that's a myth. I've studied screencaps of both extensively, and I have never noticed any difference in width between the two.

12. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

WOW Donny, that's "unreal!"

As always, it looks fabulous

13. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With all the budget restraints of TWOK, I can't think they would go the the trouble of rebuilding the curved corrridor sections! More likely it was the way they were shot: TMP used mostly the straight sections of corridor and with a static camera, which makes the corridors look reasonably spacious. TWOK on the other hand had several moving close-up shots of people walking down the curved corridors, highlighting the way the upper beams angle in towards the crew and giving a more claustrophobic feel.

14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Then there's the defense gizmo mounted on the ceiling:
    Beyond the Farthest Star 1
    Beyond the Farthest Star 2

:ack:

15. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

If I remember right, the corridors they were building for Phase II were just slightly-updated versions of the TOS corridors, but Robert Wise hated them and insisted on a total rebuild when he came aboard. The angled walls were literally built over the original flat walls of the corridor.

16. Tallguy

That's just one of the things I always hear about how Meyer made the Enterprise so much more "military": He made everything more cramped. I will now call BS on that too.

Never forget: It was TMP (Phase II) that added a dedicated weapons console to the bridge.

17. 137th Gebirg

^^^ They also had a single transporter pad in the wall in front of that weapons console, too, IIRC. It was a really cool concept that TOS should have had in case the turbolift system shut down for any reason (as it was occasionally wont to do).

18. Tallguy

I prefer the hatch in the floor approach.

19. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would give a decent rationale for the "empty" space just forward of the navi/helm station. That would have been an easily "faked" feature for the original series as well. Not a functional "door", just markings upon the set to suggest one.

Sincerely,

Bill

20. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

Well, it's labeled as such ("bridge inner-ship transporter") on sheet 5 of 14 of the official TMP blueprints, between the weapons/defense station and the main viewer, and it's drawn as an alcove. Evidently, it's behind a panel, because AFAIK that panel is all we can see on screen. I don't know whether they even actually built it, beyond just the panel covering it up. Here are some screencaps showing that area:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp2/tmphd0406.jpg
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp2/tmphd0863.jpg
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp2/tmphd2469.jpg