Sayings that you hate now

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Nov 21, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

What if it's a BDSM thing?

Why? It's called living in hope.

2. XFozzboute

XFozzboute Captain In Memoriam

The customer is always right. Bullshit on that one.

3. Kommander

Kommander Commodore Commodore

It's not the possessive pronoun in itself. Things like "my girlfriend" or "his husband" I don't have the same reaction to, as the possessiveness refers more to the relationship. If I say "my boss is a dick because..." no one thinks I'm implying that I own said boss. It's specifically the [possessive pronoun] [gender] thing that makes me cringe.

That's different, usually. If consenting adults want to pretend that they own each other, that's not my concern. If it's an all the time thing and not just a bedroom thing, it would probably get on my nerves. If it was someone I was dating, and she had a dom/sub thing going on with someone else, and this person punished her by forbidding her to spend time with me, then we would have a problem.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

More things I hate, this time from weather forecasters:

- Phrases like "Tornadic activity." It's either a tornado or not a tornado. There is no in between! If it's tornadic activity, IT'S A FUCKING TORNADO!!! :scream:

- Their tendency to create fear where none exists. Some times, like with Sandy here, it's justified. But most of the time they're like "You must go to the store right now, steal gas, hoard food" when there's an inch of snow on the ground. :rolleyes:

5. Grey

Grey Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I hated this phrase as a kid! My parents were smart enough not to use it on me; I never would have tolerated a state of authority as a reason for something. But my friends' parents used this phrase and it angered me to no end to hear it.

Completely agree! You always remember those wounds.

Now for the phrase (word) I hate the most right now: hecka.

Whenever someone around me uses hecka because they're too polite to say hella (which they probably shouldn't be saying anyway...), I make sure to swear extra on their behalf.

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Now we're talking about modern jargon rather that sayings per se. But as long as we're off on a tangent, I hate excessive verbiage and gobbledygook in general. Why use an ugly neologism like incentivize? What's wrong with persuade, motivate or encourage?

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Woops, because I misread it as struggling :lol:

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Not fucking so, O binary one. There's quite a range of activity, meteorologically and fluid-dynamically speaking, between "no tornado" and "tornado" (including the sort of activity which could become a full-fledged tornado at any moment.) The word wasn't coined in 1884 solely for the purpose of making you :scream: and "tornadic activity" is a perfectly valid and legitimate term.

9. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

:lol:

10. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I'm reminded of a radio ad I heard back in the 1980s. I think it was sponsored by the Lutheran church, regarding family relationships, and that Dick Orkin was one of the players.

A father and son are arguing about something, the father issuing demands and the son countering each statement. The father gets increasingly angry throughout the spot until...

Son: But that doesn't make any sense!
    Dad (shouts): I don't have to make sense! (pause) I'm your father.

11. teacake

:guffaw:

12. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

heehee, that made my day! On the other hand, getting a man to snuggle can be quite a struggle, at times.

The "because I am your father" is a variation to "because I said it", I think. We have a family proverb:
    §1: mom is always right
    §2: in cases mom is wrong, §1 automatically applies.

I guess that goes for quite a lot of parents, all over the globe.

13. teacake

Obligation snuggling like obligation sex is horrible.

Better to watch tv by yourself.

14. rhubarbodendron

While I do prefer enthusiastic cooperation (both with snuggling and with anything it might lead to), I've been sitting alone in front of my TV for too long a time, lately. Being single is beginning to get on my nerves. I think it's time I declare the hunting season opened :D

15. teacake

Oh, GO FOR IT.

I will hold your towel.

16. rhubarbodendron

how about holding me? *battes eyelashes at teacake*:biggrin:

which leads us straight to the topic of annoying pickup lines we've encountered. I particularly hate the "omg - you look like my wife!"
    An ex-BF said that to me when we first met, but in his case it was no pickup line for a change but he meant it rather literally. I saw a pic of his wife later and she's really almost my twin.

17. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Sorry, I have to step up here... but the real meaning of this term, as told to me by my work experience employer when I was 15, is that the shopkeeper/service provider needs to remember that the customer has a point of view, and we need to respect that. It doesn't mean that the customer should always get free stuff if they demand it, for example, just that we need to figure out WHY they think that, and try to find a way to resolve things peaceably.

This, unfortunately, has been taken to the extremes by customers who've heard it, and now it tends to be used in an "I'm always right, you're always wrong" kind of way.

18. teacake

I dunno, is this foreshadowing?

19. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

I say this not because of ownership. Not endearment either. It's more of a matching thing.

20. teacake

Like towels?