Spoilers TNG: A Singular Destiny by Keith R.A. DeCandido review thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Brendan Moody, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

For this to find out the solution you have to read the Voyager novels. I don't want to spoil anything.....

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Why?

JoeP and Jinn like this.
  3. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I wouldn't use the word "funny," but at the time I thought it was a daring bit of realism that during a major catastrophe, a couple of main characters would be caught up and die anonymously without fanfare, just like the billions of "normal" people, not even noticed by the narrative as Owen Paris or Tuvok's son were. It feels like the sort of conversation that should be happening for decades afterward.

"How long has it been since the old gang was all together? That conference on Benicia?"

"Oh, God, I haven't thought about that week in years! Wasn't that when Jar'ell took us all to that Klingon Karaoke place? My tin ear almost got me stabbed. I wonder what she's up to, I ought to touch base with her."

"Man, I'm sorry. I thought you would've heard. She and Telok were in Shi'Kahr when... you know."

"Jesus."

*Long, heavy silence*

4. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Because they're big characters and to reveal that they died on a list just seems very disrespectful.

5. thribs

The Destiny novels indicated that both B'leanna and Miral are in hiding so it could be related to that I'm guessing.

Kilana2 likes this.
  6. SoullessMinion

SoullessMinion Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Which is funny?

7. thribs

Yes as in odd, strange, bizarre.

8. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

"funny peculiar not funny ha-ha" - a line from a book I read ages ago that always comes to mind.

9. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

First new review on Treklit.com in a very long time! I posted my thoughts on A Singular Destiny over there. Hoping to get the site back up and running in full swing over the next few weeks.

Short review: loved it. I like when Trek takes a breath after big events, and this novel does a great job of that, while setting up the next big obstacle for the Litverse. One of my favourites back in the day, and a recent re-read has not disabused me of that notion.

Reanok, KRAD and Markonian like this.