Ant-Man: Info, Pics, Rumors, Casting and Details till release

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

X-Men III had a finished script, pre-production was done, casting was finished, and then a hack took over. Didn't work out so well.

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, and I think directing was a big problem with that movie (or, more accurately, pacing and the building of any kind of drama). That being said, Marvel heavily storyboards, more than other movies. That should help somewhat, particularly with the action scenes (which is where a director with comedy experience would presumably have difficulties).

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Ratner's probably getting a bit antsy now.

"Aw C'mon! I'm the perfect Yes man!"

Very interesting list of directors that Marvel is going for. Definitely ones with Paul Rudd ties or comedy ties.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Judd Apatow?

5. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

He's busy making another film.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

7. Samurai8472

We have a story

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/...ckay-to-rewrite-after-edgar-wright-departure/

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

9. Samurai8472

So expect more humor than what we would have gotten with Edgar Wright.

10. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    It's reportedly more a case of a different style of humor rather than more humor, Wright's approach being deemed too quirky and highbrow and the rewrites aiming at a more straightforward style.

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

That's what I would think as well. Wright is very funny, but yeah the humor is quirky, or perhaps British might be a better word, and visual.

Ant Man will now be less Simon Pegg, more Will Ferrell.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

General observation on bold

I thought that the script had had some revisions and rewrites in the first place is why Edgar walked. I was under the impression they just needed a director. Why are more late hour re-writes being done? A stipulation of Reed coming on board perhaps? Allow him to put some fingerprint on the film via McKay?

13. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

^^^
    Maybe to keep Rudd happy, too, depending on how he feels about the rewrite that caused Wright to walk, McKay being a frequent collaborator of Rudd's.

14. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

AICN has been peddling the idea for some time now that the script being in terrible shape was what caused Wright to walk.

I'm excited by Peyton Reed though. I remember his early FF proposal being awesome.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, glad they have a director. Hopefully this won't have to be too rushed.

16. Samurai8472

Scott Lang- so growing back is safe right?

Hank pym- oh yeah it. I've done it hundreds of times

later. Scott walks out of the bathroom

Scott- it didn't grow back!!

17. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure if this has been posted here or not, but this video brilliantly emphasizes why Edgar Wright is a brilliant visual director that understands visual comedy. Interestingly enough, the video compares Wright's stylish, innovative comedy to the likes of Adam McKay.

The video really drives home how depressing and disappointing it is that Wright left the project. It also conveniently drives home how mundane and straightforward a lot of McKay's comedy is - including other contemporary comedy directors. Wright finds fun, visual and unique techniques to present comedy that is both funny, inventive and serves the plot. It's the kind of comedy we need more of in movies - which is why I was so excited for Edgar Wright's Ant-Man.

I'm far less excited for Peyton Reed and Adam McKay's Ant-Man, but I think Out of My Vulcan Mind hit the nail on the head. Disney likely wanted a less quirky/more straightforward approach and Edgar Wright doesn't do that. It's just a shame. Ant-Man might still be good, but I'll always wonder how much different & possibly better Edgar Wright's version would have been.

18. Captain Craig

I like that Marvel Studios has been able to obtain different style directors that were able to work within the system that MS has in place. There by adding some fingerprint of theirs to the films. I like a number of Edgar Wright films but not all so I'm not lamenting his loss. Just kinda bummed that it unfolded like it did. He should've made the film much earlier. He could have, he chose to pursue other things. Frankly Simon Pegg & Co. weren't' going anywhere, he could've made those films(At Worlds End) anytime. His priorities were different and a 6-8yr delay was his own downfall in the making as I see it. He can be upset but frankly Feige gave him lots of rope so if he's upset about changes now after all the leeway he was given he's being unrealistic.

The Marvel Studios way is much more "old Hollywood" style film making. There is a Studio vision and narrative in place for these films. If a director can work within that framework, great, so far they've mostly been able to do that. If not, sorry, thanks for coming by the offices. MS is crafting something unique within all of the industry. They are making different genre films but using different tones and settings all in the same world. They aren't WB or Paramount where the sci-fi film, slasher flick and action film exist separately and don't ever co-exist. At MS they do.

I had never heard of the Russo Brothers before but according to the 'net their filmography suggested CA:TWS would be a total hack fest and tank. Well....it wasn't. So while I may know little on Reed/McKay and understand to some measure the emotional lamenting by some on what's transpired I'm not prepared to right off Ant-Man over this situation at all. I see lots of over reaction in places frankly.

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Wright and Pegg prioritized The World's End over their other film commitments when their close friend and creative collaborator (as executive producer) Eric Fellner was diagnosed with cancer. They wanted to be sure to complete the Cornetto trilogy with him. Feige signed off on the delay of Ant-Man for that reason.

20. Captain Craig

Didn't know about the Fellner thing. Perspective change made.