Do brands like Dora, Dragonball and DoctorWho mark Hollywoods end?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by TheMasterOfOrion, Jul 6, 2013.

?

Is Hollywood tv and movies facing its end?

Poll closed Jul 20, 2013.
  1. Hollywood will always own the tv and film industry

41.7%
  2. Competition is good and will force positive changes

66.7%
  3. It will struggle but survive

16.7%
  4. Demographics, L.A film will fall to a tsunami of never-married foreigners

16.7%
  5. Spielberg is right the movie industry is doomed

8.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Damn foreigners.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

[​IMG]

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It's true that Hollywood blockbusters have become prohibitively expensive.

Do you really think that mainstream American TV/film viewers will start to watch low budget foreign films over their Michael Bay dreck? Foreign produced movies and TV will certainly get a larger share than before, but they will always be a niche. Most American viewers will not even watch something that is not high budget.

And if foreigners did manage to create something Americans wanted to pay for more than American produced entertainment, wouldn't they...deserve it?

And wasn't America...ummmm...founded on multiculturalism? Give us your tired, your poor, your hungry? There was no footnote saying 'If you speak English and conform to us'. No, it is not 'Cultural unity or multiculturalism'. America takes a little from every culture. That's the definition of America.

If you don't like it you can 'git eht'.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  4. Magellan

Magellan Commander Red Shirt

Not to get into the racist or not argument, but Hollywoods end?

Hollywood is making a killing overseas. All these idiotic TV shows and stupid action fest movies are seen around the entire world in nearly every country. A 300 million dollar blockbuster in the US can make another 700 million overseas. I don't see Americans importing a lot of TV shows or movies really. Its pretty uncommon. If anything Hollwood will make new brands to appeal to Americas changing demographics and continue to produce idiotic entertainment for all colors and creeds.

5. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I'd just like to point out the rather large number of films being produced in and around the Boston area: Including a number of big Oscar winners...

ETA: The Departed, The Fighter, The Social Network, The Town, Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, Good Will Hunting

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

This entire thread is a joke, right? Right?

Because if it's not, then..........words fail me.
    [​IMG]

7. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the film industry should diversify its locations more, down South, up near the Great Lakes, so many great locations for movies and tv. There have been so many tv show cancellations the past four years and I think its very sad you can't make a good scifi spaced based show in the US and yes if he industry keeps going the way it is the day will come when the US depends on Britain or Japan or someplace else to deliver scifi space based soap opera because Calfornia and its tv makers can't get their shit together.
    The State has been cutting and cutting, gallery's are no longer getting support, theater show music production is down, the California arts council was gutted and that was a bipartisan affair. And for the little free money that does go around in California, the people who get free tax breaks or whatever aren't getting breaks because they are super artists or super talented or super film makers. They get money because they know how to suck blood from the system like a old vampire, they are old dinosaurs who rub elbows with the right people and get their free money that way. I don't believe for a second any of the stuff openminded politicians say, so many of these multi cultural openminded politicans have been caught with undocumented workers in their backyards working for peanuts, yay 100 points to Meg Whitman for embracing multi culturalism.

Every one of these brainwashed pc morons want to troll and bait make this an old racist argument about RACE about ARYAN GENETICS or LATIN GENETICS or AFRICAN AMERICAN GENETICS or some bullshit
    I don't give a damn about genes or race.
    I have not mentioned race in the posts, I'm talking about doing work with English speakers and non English speakers, In France for example they have an expectation for everyone to fit into a single, national cultural ethos, if you are in France working you are expected to speak French. I wasn't a big fan of Sarkozy but I agree with what he said on multi culturalism, saying Western democracies have become too concerned new arriving cultures and not enough about the identity of the state receiving them.
    A State having so many undocumented workers is a very bad thing, if they are living illegally almost a decade, working for years and years, some even having babies, I don't see why they can't be given help and become part of the US and California community. The fact is California is bankrupt, and it needs illegals working for peanuts to keep the economy moving.

It has been bankrupt the past 4 years, only in 2013 did the State have a surplus. California had to cut people's holidays, California printed hundreds and thousands of IOUs, California California implemented massive lay offs, California closed schools, California shut down independent energy and scientific free energy research, California cut successful hardworking people's pay by 4% and even 10%....these were not crooks or corrupt bankers, they were hard working people contributing to the economy and California decided to cut their pay anyways

I think L.A is a horrible place to live

but hey work is work

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Because of REGRESSIVE PROPERTY TAXATION, genius, not because a few hipsters are watching Doctor Who.

[​IMG]

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This is the best post in the thread.

I am trying to understand what the OP is even talking about, but I am having a hard time following his posts. He keeps accusing people of being morons, but what he's writing is barely coherent.

Is the problem that American studios are outsourcing work to other countries in order to save money? Is the problem that foreign TV shows like Doctor Who are becoming more popular and therefore threatening the existence of domestic TV shows? Or is it simply that we live in a more global community and have easier access to foreign media?

Why is Doctor Who suddenly popular in the US? Well, because we have things like BBC America and Netflix and iTunes and Amazon, so it's easier for Americans to watch it.

10. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

that is all.

11. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Right, I think we've had enough of this.

TheMasterOfOrion, you have earned an infraction for flaming for calling people morons, and you are only escaping a further infraction for trolling for this entire absurd thread is that it's so incoherent I can't even tell what you're arguing. I don't want to see this sort of rubbish in TV/M again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.