Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He does go online and post about it sometimes - a few weeks back he mentioned on Facebook that he was pretty hopeful that he'd be able to recover a second print of the Morecambe and Wise episode that was found, but was too far gone to be salvaged - so I'd suspect he's aware of how frenzied the Doctor Who-related speculation is, which is probably why he doesn't say anything about Who-related leads (but sometimes does about other things).

2. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ It would be nice if he just said what he has or didn't have for DW. If he has nothing else for DW, just say it!

3. inflatabledalek

inflatabledalek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just when you think Ian Levine can't get any more eccentric...

4. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

"Eccentric"? Is that what we're calling him now?

5. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I don't know this Philip Morris guy but that statement from Levine makes me think he must be a calm and friendly guy, who is also ... uhm, not nuts.

What is Ian Levine thinking, that this guy sits on a throne built out of film cans, cackling all day and waiting for Levine to croak so that he can finally make his move to grab money, fame and power?:rofl:

Maybe he really has found something (but hardly everything), there are reasons not to announce things before they are ready but I guarantee, making Ian Levine's blood boil is not one of them, he's not that important except in his own mind.:rolleyes:

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Levine's anger stems from his fear of mortality. He truly believes that Phil Morris has found a massive haul of Doctor Who, plugging in virtually all of the missing gaps. He's afraid that he'll die and never get to see "Power of the Daleks" and "The Abominable Snowman" and all the rest ever again, and this causes him mental anguish. And so he lashes out at the person causing him that anguish -- Phil Morris.

The irony is that, someday, Levine will die and yet Doctor Who will go on. There will be decades of Doctor Who that Levine will never get to see, never get to experience, yet he's fixated on reliving the things he remembers from his youth. The tragedy of Ian Levine.

Exactly. If there's something to be announced, it will be announced when it's ready and not one minute before. The announcements, or rather the lack thereof, have nothing whatsoever to do with Ian Levine. Or any of us.

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

And fandom - well, the increasingly-deranged (and he's never been that stable) Levine - would just call him a liar and keep the endless shit going anyway.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I'm still enjoying the endless shit. I'm a relative newbie though.

I suppose after several decades, it gets old...

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I go to hand it to you, you've turned this amusing diversion that is Ian Levine's tirades and outbursts and turned it into something which seems deep and profound.

10. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I smell a stage play coming soon.

11. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Nah, a musical starring John Barrowman.

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Nothing found nor tantrums thrown today ?

13. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Today would be the perfect day for Morris to Tweet Levine that he's found all the 97... Whether he has or not!

So, has Levine bitched that Derek Martinus didn't get to see his stuff restored?

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I totally have this thread under the magnifying glass today expecting the obvious prank to occur.

15. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Levine is already prepared. Early this morning he tweeted:

"Beware April 1st, people.

Do not believe ANYTHING at all that you might hear about missing Doctor Who episodes.

JUST DON'T FALL FOR IT."

No actual jokes so far, though this old one is doing the rounds again.

16. Allyn Gibson

Thankfully not.

17. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While Levine is certainly certifiable, I can't doubt his enthusiasm. And one that last for as long as the show exists. True, his weird non-commitment to audio Who is, well, plain stupid - especially when at its best, Big Finish actually enriched the OldWho background with more character-driven stories than the ones transmitted, especially in the case of the 80's Who. And as he's doing recons of stories not only originally-to-be-done (usually using Big Finish as resource), but also creates stories basically out of thin air, most famously his Gallifrey project, he comes off as highly, highly hypocritical.

In any case, however, I do agree occassionaly with what he says. I mean, if, and thats a big IF, Phil Morris has episodes found but simply waits for "the right time", then he is a douche too, for he's holding them off for no good reason. I'm not an apologist to those kinds of people - now, if the secrecy was similar to the recent discoveries of Enemy of the World and Web of Fear, where they were worked on by the Restoration Team all this time and when they were done, they were released, that I get behind. Its better to get a finished result with the said revelation, especially if its coming out of nowhere.

In any case, I do hope, like many, if not all fans, that most, if not all missing episodes will be found and released, eventually. And preferably sooner, rather than later.

18. Allyn Gibson

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh dear...

20. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

The Twitter replies are downright hilarious!