10 reasons why I hate Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by dammitjim6400, Jul 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dammitjim6400

dammitjim6400 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hello..Look I've been a life long Trek fan, loved all the Trek movies until the protuberant JJ Abrams took over and made it into an EMO, over blown, noisey parade of Trek cosplayers, I almost walked out of Into Darkness. BUT I wanted to finish my buttered popcorn and raisinets and hope it would get better..It didn't so I stayed up till the point when Kirk gave his speech at the end, then I left, but for those of us who feel sicken by Abram's Trek here's my humble list of why I hate it, let's see if some of you agree.:cool:

1. Kirk- Look say what you want about Shatner but his Kirk in TOS was the coolest Space hero since flash Gordon (until Picard came) Pine's Kirk is a total loser and don't give me the "Oh he's young, oh he's not experienced" stuff. He's the CAPTAIN for crying out loud, he should at least act like it.

2. Khan- Come on, This Khan is no way near threatening as Ricardo Montalban's Khan, he's like an android who just kills because of some weak Star fleet Admiral Marcus (not worth mentioning)

3.The Enterprise in Water ? even Scotty thought this was Stupid.

4. Spock - Look..Nimoy's Spock was the best, no doubt.What does Spock do in Abrams' Trek ? he's an Emo kid who jumps off buildings fights like Captain America constantly shows emotion wrecklessly in love, more on this later.

5. McCoy- Karl Urban tries so hard to be Deforest Kelly that he comes off as W.C fields (all you teens look him up)

6. The Uniforms..Look I might be alone on this, but think those uniforms are ridiculous,they look dull. TOS uniforms with the flare legs were cool, these remakes dosen't cut it, and those grey dress uniforms look more StarWars than Star Trek.

7. Spock and Uhura- This makes no sense. A logical strict officer breaking regulations being in love with a subordinate ?
    bad writing.( more on that later)

8. The Klingons-This is when I cried, to see a proud warrior race turned into a bunch of thugs and punks with horrible make up, and did one of them had an earring ? NOOO:eek:

9.Scotty quitting- you know your captain is incompetent when his chief Engineer quits and ends up in a bar.

10. The Story- where do I begin ? from the ridiculous reason to bring Khan back from frozen sleep to the Wrath of Kahn overtones , it took Orci and Kurtzman over 2 years to write this movie and THIS is the best they can do ? I can do better in two weeks, I suggest for the next movie they get serious and STUDY Star Trek, not the series after TNG but TOS and the Animated series.Who agrees with me ?:cool:

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

:rolleyes: Not this :censored: again.

And welcome to the boards!

3. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Protuberant?

4. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I think it means "in favour of tubes."

Anyway: hello and welcome dammitjim6400! Personally, I found STID moderately fun as an action blockbuster but don't object to too many of your objections, except that I like the uniforms.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  5. iguana_tonante

But are the tubes filled with Internet?

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

:rolleyes:

At least we saw him do evil stuff, not just make grandiose speeches at a screen.

Not. This. Shit. Again.

You know what I hate more than Emo kids? People who call anyone or anything an Emo kid.

You do realize of course, Nimoy thought Urban's portrayal was so good that it had him in tears?

They look like uniforms. Not pajamas.

One thing that pisses me off more than the emo thing is people who confuse "bad writing" for "writing decisions I don't like."

:guffaw:

Scotty always ends up in a bar.

Okay. I'll wait.

7. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Ten? I can give you one reason I abhor. loathe, despise and detest Star Trek Into Darkness: I have to wait years for the next installment. Years. That's torture.

8. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

No. It means he's pro-potato.

9. iguana_tonante

Spock: Potahto.
    Bones: Potayto!
    Kirk: POT-AHH-TOW!

10. dammitjim6400

dammitjim6400 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

No. It means bulging out..Pominent .. As for the EMO thing, well, the Spock in the movie is emotional...duh ?:wtf:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  11. iguana_tonante

Pominent, it is from pom-de-terre?

12. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it is in good taste to talk about the private parts of other people. If I were JJ, I wouldn't want people outside my bedroom discussing whether I am protuberant or not. Unless it was a danger for the public safety or something. Then again, I've been reading that JJ is a danger lurking over many people's childhoods, so...

I'd take it as a compliment if I were him.

13. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Pominent hair-wise? Like, from pomade?

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I love Star Trek Into Darkness but I don't think it was a perfect film. I wished we had a story reason for the Enterprise being underwater, thought Khan should've needed a bit more effort to get to Kronos, wished they had left timing vague and I thought the transition from Harrison to Khan was sloppy.

But I have to weigh all those things that I thought could've been handled better vs. how I feel when I watch this movie. Watching this film is a exhilarating roller-coaster ride that really is true to the essence of TOS. I have a blast watching it every single time I put it on.

No. You can't. If you could, you'd be in Hollywood rubbing elbows with the elite not sitting out here complaining about a movie with the little people.

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Somebody find Inigo Montoya!

16. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I for one love that these films have breathed new life into the franchise that was dormant and likely to remain that way for another 5 years or so. While I liked ST2009, STID was a much tighter story with greater momentum and depth, and far fewer mistakes and issues. I for one found the Khan story to be an homage rather than a rip off. Among my favorite parts is the interaction between Kirk and Pike, which is particularly well-written and acted. I wish Pike was not killed off but it certainly gave Kirk motivation. I also really liked the scene in Mudd's ship in which Spock explains his actions and feelings to Uhura; excellent writing and acting once again. Having Sulu take the big chair was a great moment as well. On a 4-star scale, I'd give the first film 3 and the second 3 1/2. I'm hopeful the next one will earn 4 stars.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

A rambling rant like this would work better as a blog entry. It's certainly not a promising start for a message-board discussion.

Thread closed.

Also:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/protuberant
    A thing may be protuberant. A person may not.

On that:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pominent?s=t

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.