What did you like about Nemesis?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Amaris, Nov 4, 2009.

1. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

A good action scene can help further the plot, or be the final culmination of events occurring in the movie.

For example, the space battle in Nemesis had a purpose and was part of the story. The dune buggy chase just felt tacked on. Literally, it seemed like the writer just thought: "Data picks up B4's head....and THEN DUNE BUGGIES."

It's just so non-sequitur and doesn't add anything to the movie.

Note: The holodeck scene in First Contact was pretty pointless too: but it was at least a nice Dixon Hill homage for TNG fans to enjoy.

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

And it would have made the Remans appear much more sophisticated than the Federation. ;)

The whole buggy thing was really stupid.

I don't think so. It showed Picard's full rage and that he really had big issues with the Borg that needed to be solved, and he got the neural something chip to get to know their next move, and well then it had both the purpose of a homage for TNG fans and an introduction for new audience that they have holodecks in the 24th century. Not pointless at all.

The dune buggy scene on the other hand... they pick up B4, and we get to know that Picard likes to drive fast cars, and that's about it.

3. Kirks_Flying_Wig

Kirks_Flying_Wig Commander Red Shirt

That's the stupidest argument I've ever read anywhere. You're dismissing my opinions of one film because I have an avatar from a completely different film that you don't like? What does that have to do with anything?

And FYI, despite the so-called "whizz-bang-million-mile-an-hour-ADD-explosion-fest" of XI, Karl Urban still delivered an exceptional performance that honoured both McCoy and DeForest Kelley. Thus my avatar.

4. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

True point.

Although I think his rage is only brimming at the point. The scene where he 'breaks his little ships' I think is where it finally boils over and it's made clear Picard has..had....enough of...YOU.

5. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I like that no reference was made to Data being designed to serve as a flotation device.

6. JarodRussell

He did float through space at one point, though. ;)

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

*facepalm*

8. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I too liked the music and the battle scenes and Picard's scene in the Senate chamber. I also LOVED the crash and I really liked the wedding scene too and the new warbirds.

I too wish the deleted scenes had been a part of the movie it would've made the movie a more character based one but Paramount wanted an action movie. It also really felt like the end for the TNG movies, unless it was going to make $300 million or more the box office I really don't think there was going to be another TNG movie.

9. Can

Can Commander Red Shirt

I liked the performances of Patrick Stewart ( as usual ) and more so Brent Spiner and Tom Hardy....Plus battle scene at the end. Unfortunetely they edited story so much ( Script of John Logan was decent ) the whole movie was one bad excuse for that CGI battle at the end...

10. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I don't know why this made me laugh so hard I choked on my own saliva. :guffaw:

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Nemesis was such a giant improvement over Insurrection that there is only one thing I DIDN'T like about it:

Data's death.

Other than that, great movie.

12. pureTREKKER

pureTREKKER Lieutenant Red Shirt

I liked the music in the movie.
    Especially the intro- Zooming in to Romulus

13. SRFX

SRFX Captain Captain

I think maybe most my original hatred of the movie was that going in, I was aware this was the TNG's crew's last film, so I was hoping for something that sent them off much in the same vein of Undiscovered Country. I felt the TNG crew deserved much better than the send off they got in this movie - this aspect of the film which I felt was most important, was probably the most poorly handled part of the film, and is why I have disliked the film for so long.

If I try and watch the film on it's own merits - it's actually not bad.

TUC is about as close as you can get to a perfect ST film though - so maybe my expectations were a little high (although, is it so bad of me to expect ST to try and improve on itself?).

14. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked all the character moments. The way it appeared to me, all of the actors were really trying to make a good movie.

I liked that they didn't have a fix it button at the end. I liked that the family was finally splitting up. It created a greater sense of closure, and therefore drama than if it had all stayed the same at the end.

I liked the wedding. We've been following those two for 15 years. We deserved to see that wedding.

It was also a very sad movie for me, since it could have easily been so much better. It had the makings of a great film.

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bingo. No matter how bad some people might say the movie is, we earned that wedding, dammit! :lol:

J.

16. JarodRussell

Should have been at the end of the movie, though. After all the troubles, action and death, a positive happy ending, on Betazed, with a beautiful alien landscape in background, and the movie closes with the departure of the Enterprise and the Titan while the sun sets on Betazed, both ships jumping to warp, but into different directions.

17. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One thing that sticks out to me: We FINALLY get to see Riker the Action Hero again, just as he was in TNG. In Generations, we didn't see him do much other than a brief firefight with Soran. First Contact had him (somewhat uncharacteristically, for both him and Picard) leading the Away Team assigned to the Phoenix, but that's understandable all things considered. In Insurrection, he was actually turned away from fighting in order to captain the ship.

But in Nemesis, we FINALLY get to see him lead a security detachment with phasers blaring. We FINALLY get to see him fight one of the main villains in H2H. We FINALLY get to see him in some absurdly cinematic peril, all of which we saw constantly in TNG but not in the films. He even manages to avenge his wife's rape, too, in full dramatic circle. All I have to say is, Go Riker!

18. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like your idea of the ending, but I'm not sure about the wedding being at the end. After Data dying, I was seriously depressed for a while and I don't think the wedding would have helped. :lol:

Oh yeah. Riker was and still is one of my favorite characters on TNG. It was nice to see him kicking ass again.

J.

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the original draft had Picard on the surface and Riker on the ship, but Patrick Stewart intervened.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I assumed Riker not being in on that action in First Contact and Insurrection was a result of Frakes directing the movies. Especially with First Contact, since I'm pretty sure that was the first movie he ever directed.