NFL 2013 Off-Season Discussion

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Use of Time, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

All of which I clarified in subsequent posts. Your attitude through this whole discussion has been abnormally hostile for someone that agrees with my premise as a whole. You seem more interested in getting the better of me then discussing the issue. I've done more than enough to explain my position and even offered an apology if my original suspicions were incorrect. For someone that claims to be a calm rational non-homer your initial post was anything but that.

2. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Dude. Said I was done with it, assume you're just trying to poke me for a better response to declare victory on at this point? I'm the emotional asshole, but you'll toss out the same insult one more time to see if I'll bite? Can continue the debate by yourself, as you're just seeing what you want from my posts anyway, and I can't convince you of anything anyway.

Post once more so you can 'win' and have the last word, and then let's give the thread back, k?

3. Use of Time

haha. There isn't even a debate. There never was. I posted a premise that obviously went over your head. Instead of asking for clarification like an adult you decided to respond like a petulant child. I clarified my original post and my guess is that you probably felt a little silly writing that two post missive in defense of your team which was completely unnecessary. So instead of saying "oh, I see what you are saying" you decided to protect your ego instead and go on the offensive. Then you want to walk away with your "lets get the thread back on track" after posting something you know I will respond to. Let me remind you that you are the one that jacked this thread after my initial post which you completely misinterpreted and wasn't even directed at you.

4. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

:guffaw:

Feel better?

5. Use of Time

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Why did Aaron Hernandez call Wes Welker?

He needed help from a white Bronco.

7. Use of Time

8. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice move. Those jerseys aren't cheap and I wouldn't my kid (if I had one) wearing one for a guy involved in three murder investigations.

9. Use of Time

Yep, a really good gesture. They immediately distanced themselves from Hernandez which is a good thing. Last week when they had the helicopter tracking him running errands and stuff they showed him stopping at Gillette stadium for a brief visit. Apparently he was refused entry by stadium security. Message received for Hernandez. You are on your own dude.

10. Use of Time

11. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Can we drop this?

I thought I ended the debate with my "Patriots: Fuck 'em" comment. It seemed to sum it up nicely, but yet we still got a dozen posts after that.

12. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Yeah, let's end the "Patriots way" derail, or else I'm going to get cranky and start swinging the banhammer.

13. Use of Time

No problem. I have no desire to resume that discussion I just thought it was a pretty good takedown of Ashley Fox's insane column on the ESPN website. She is pretty much making the leap that because he smoked pot at Florida that the Patriots should have somehow taken that as a sign that he would end being implicated in a homicide. Brilliant.

Marijuana: the gateway drug to murder. Where do they find these columnists? It's very indicative of the current trend of sports writers reeling in readers with an outrageous column title that in turn drives the story for page views. There is no way she actually believes what she said in that column.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Ugh, what a retard. You'd think it would be a good time to lay low if you're a NFL player, Patriots player in particular, and DEFINITELY if you're on probation and got a relatively light slap on the wrist for your previous misconduct, but nope. CB Alfonzo Dennard got popped for a DWI last night in Nebraska. Obvious probation violation, we'll see where this one goes. Idiot...

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...ed-nebraska/u6z9qHxrnmu40gPrEeGbjK/story.html

15. tighr

They're best off cutting him immediately. He's not a role model nor example of "the Patriot way".

EDIT: I said that before reading the article. Then I saw this:

Now I say they should definitely cut him.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Thought we were done with that media-created nonsense? Tough to claim high ground when like 3 posts ago you're ragging on people for not dropping it, but YOU are bringing it back up.

And if anyone is cut for not being a saint, only going to have enough players to field maybe 2 teams. Nice when they ARE perfect role models, but not what they're being paid for.

Why would you cut a cheap, productive player? At least wait to see how the situation shakes out, it's not like it was murder, when it's obvious you have to distance yourself, and he's not coming back anyway. If Dennard ends up having to do his 30 days in jail immediately, or gets a little more, why not wait it out, and restructure his contract to put his money more on the line for future mistakes?

Something like 40 arrests since the Superbowl, not all of them resulted in cutting the player (only a very few did, and mostly on marginal players anyway), dumb to have that kneejerk reaction.

Obviously terrible timing, but don't paint him out to be Hernandez's getaway driver just because it happened the same month...

17. tighr

A) I was being tongue in cheek.

B) It makes good financial sense to cut him now rather than pay his actual salary for the season; the cap hit is inconsequential compared to his actual salary.

The Broncos are very likely going to administer severe discipline to the executives who recently got arrested for DUI, up to and including dismissal. I don't think that the league's personal conduct policy applies exclusively to Patriots players (which is why I thought the whole "Patriot's Way" topic from the last several pages was stupid), but rather to all employees of the NFL who are without a doubt public figures.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

B) not really. Yeah, very low cap hit, but also very low actual salary. Was a 7th round pick, pretty much playing for minimum, not hurting you. Not like he makes 10 million and you can avoid the cap hit by cutting him. It's mice nuts either way. And as you have several years left on that deal, and whatever punishment happens (if much of any at all) will surely be less than that, AND it wasn't like it was a violent crime, kinda short-sighted to cut him immediately.

Not to say it might not happen, just would be a rash move until we see how it shakes out. Hernandez was involved in a MURDER, which is why he was cut immediately. DWI is not exactly the same level. You'd look pretty retarded cutting him immediately if all he ends up with is having to do his (already sentenced) 30 days immediately, or more community service, whatever.

Executives and players aren't exactly an apples to apple comparison either, not a great comparison...

19. tighr

It's not just the DUI; he was found parked on a highway, straddling between two lanes. He was also on probation for a previous incident last year, where he PUNCHED A COP.

It's the middle of the offseason right now, so 30 days is no big deal. But the main issue at stake is if this a player/person who is prone to issues with law enforcement, and whether or not these issues could potentially lead to the player not being available for a key game during the season because they're spending the night in jail in the future.

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

So they should make him unavailable immediately, just to avoid the chance that he might be unavailable in the future? Isn't that the definition of cutting off the nose to spite the face? He'd obviously be cut on the spot if he did it AGAIN later, so your scenario doesn't work anyway. In fact, but your logic, may as well cut Brady now, in case he gets hurt someday and isn't able to start a key game. Only way that makes sense is if you're the GM of another team...

Again, not saying he doesn't end up cut, just might as well have patience on this one and see where it goes. It's not like the other case, that they had to distance themselves from immediately. It's not like it's the beginning of the free agent period and there are other choices out there; everyone's pretty much on a team at this point. Since the replacement would come from what you already have anyway, don't see the rush to cut him. We'll see, just DUMB on his part. Never got the DWI arrests for the wealthy anyway; just get a driver/limo! Doesn't cost shit, and no arrests/accidents/loss of your job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.