Rambo 5 - Last Stand

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Captain Craig, May 1, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

After the modest success of Rambo 4 proved the character still has some theatrical bite stories went from Mexico to more sci-fi based(Savage Hunt idea) super soldier warfare back in the Northwest to now once again finally moving forward with the Mexico based storyline. Current rumored working title of Last Stand.
    Now one could argue that Rambo 4 gives the story a type of closure, coming full circle if you will. In First Blood(Rambo I), he's returning to the US to return some items to his fallen friends family in the Northwest when hell breaks loose. Rambo 4 has John returning home to see if his Father is still there and if things have changed at the urging of missionary Sarah(Julie Benz). The final shot of the film is him walking down the long driveway towards the house with horses grazing around back.

So ARE things better? Was his dad alive? Did John ever find love? Acceptance? The things he sought upon returning from 'NAM but was treated harshly and felt pushed away.

With such frequent news of Mexican drug cartels running rough shot over border authorities and the violence we hear happening on occasion it seems that type of activity is what Rambo will be in action against. The rumors anyway, what shape that takes is anyones guess if the rumors have merit but Stallone does say, "the Mexican situation" and that has to be about the drug cartels.

Anyone else game?
    Has Expendables given him a chance to find a new audience? Seems whereas 5 yrs ago Stallone may have been more "screen legend" than "action hero" to the under 25yr set that he has some cred now and likely new audience with them. Thus making the potential for Rambo to go out with a real high?

2. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Bring it on I say. Stallone has proven over the last few years that he's still game, and I'm not really in fear of the Rambo franchise being ruined or anything. If it's anything like the blood fueled adrenaline thrill ride that 4 was, I'll be pretty happy.

3. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Rambo has become a joke after the first movie (which in itself was a pretty good action movie with a bit of a message) so what's one more? It certainly can't ruin anything and given that Stallone can do good movies out of worn franchises (Rocky Balboa) we may even get a decent movie out of it. I won't hold my breath but in these cases i like to be surprised and admit it if it is a good movie, my expectations are low however.

4. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I expect it to end up like the last one: so, so close to being unbelievably brilliant film, but instead a steaming pile of crap.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed the last one (despite it clearly suffering from a small budget), and look forward to another one.

And watching Rambo go up against the Mexican drug cartels is such an obvious, no-brainer of an idea I don't know why they even considered anything else.

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I see where you're coming from re: Rambo 4. Yeah, it was almost truly brilliant, but couldn't quite reach the high notes the script was hinting at. But it turned out watchable anyway. And I liked the ending. Still, I'd be interested in catching Rambo 5 at some point.

7. Captain Craig

My thought as well. When they first mentioned the Mexican story idea and then word came they were going to go the Savage Hunt route then reboot I was dismayed at the jumping around of story routes.

The fourth film ends with him back in the US at what could easily be any border town in the Southwest. The cartels are either putting a stranglehold on the town and it's residents and/or they are using his father's property to illegally move their merchandise. Either or both are logical starting points for Rambo 5 as I see it now.

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

^
    Actually I believe the canon is he's from Bowie which is right on the corner of Arizona, New Mexico, and Mexico.

So yes, you're right.

9. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I will definitely see it. These are awsome man-movies that make your beard grow at an accelerated rate and crave red meat. :cool:

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am all for it!

I liked the last one a lot. But it felt like it should be built upon. The first film was set in the US. Sure we saw him go home but did not see what it means.

Stylistically it could be a modern Western. I believe his background is that his father is Native American. The visuals to his heritage have been there all along. Wearing headbands, using a bow and arrow, and sometimes riding horses.

11. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a bit confused. When Rambo 4 first came out it was the start of a possible new series of Rambo films then later Stallone decided to retire the character and a special edition DVD of the film with an added voice over at the end was supposed to give the character finality. Now he is coming back again?

12. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

If this is the final Rambo movie they should call it Last Blood, not Last Stand.

13. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

He probably just enjoys playing the character too much.

I mean the last movie wasn't even a hit really. It didn't do as well as Rambo III even in unadjusted dollars, let alone taking inflation into account, so it can't be for the $$$.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Will Singer ignore The Last Stand?

(Someone had to say it!)

15. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, clearly the official title would need to be something like Rambo 2: Last Blood Part 1 Rambo V First Blood Part 5... Vengeance

16. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll watch a new 'Rambo' movie, sure... but I'm not exactly chomping at the bit for it.

17. Captain Craig

An interview with Sly back in March before Rambo 5 was fully back with the Mexican border storyline. It's also about his career, relationship with Arnold and thoughts on current action movies. A good read.

Q: So will you kill him off?

A: Yeah.

So the film would be set in Arizona it seems. I wonder if a cameo by Sheriff Joe is out of the question. ;)

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Rambo: So Very Tired.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

...Reloaded!

On the basis that I liked 4 I'd be ok with another one, but I do think 4 made for a nice booked.

Still amazing to consider the 3 films that followed on from the first were so different in style (not to mention body count) from First Blood. (where he kills one guy!)

20. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

And that kill is essentially an accident :lol:

That was a good interview. Stallone is a really down to earth guy and always good to hear from.