Watchmen Trailer Online

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by shivkala, Jul 17, 2008.

1. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I didn't bother with any of the YouTube links, so I'll see it tonight at The Dark Knight. I don't have any faith in Snyder, however; I didn't care for Dawn of the Dead or 300. That said, I'd like nothing more than to be wrong; I'd absolutely love to see a worthy Watchmen film adaptation. I simply don't hold much hope that it's possible, considering how much Watchmen is about the medium of comics. My concerns are pretty much what Alan Moore has stated in the past.

2. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I've only heard bits and pieces of what it's about, but I liked 300 A LOT and Snyder seems to have to have a good directing head on his shoulders so I'm going to see this no matter what.

3. MikeGainer

MikeGainer too fat to fish Fleet Captain

4. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I'm just reading Watchmen for the first time. I'm about 5 chapters in, I keep meaning to read more, but I keep getting caught up in other things.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

That Smashing Pumpkins tune used in the teaser is, if memory serves, "The Beginning is the End is the Beginning" ... which was written for Batman & Robin. :lol:

6. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

It refers to the collected editions (which are technically trade paperbacks; graphic novels are all-original material; but those two terms are usually used interchangeably); and, sure, it's meant to avoid the connotations a lot of people assign to "comic book", ie, not to be taken seriously.

As to the trailer, looks pretty good. I really like the rendering of Doctor Manhattan; the ethereal blue glow isn't what I pictured based on the comic, but it makes a lot of sense.

The Batman-esque redesign of Nite Owl works pretty well, I think.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes I thought Nite-Owl's Batman-esque design works very well...the shot of the Owl ship coming out of the water was awesome. Same deal with the structure that Dr. Manhattan builds on Mars with Laurie there. Those shots are wicked.

8. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Wow--Pretty much everything I saw was indentifiable as a scene from the comic. Still cautiously optimistic, in spite of the couple of "sculpted muscle" costumes (which will be very anachronistic if this is a period piece as it appears to be).

Well, the trailer basically is a music video, as many are these days. Doesn't mean the movie will play that way.

The original comics characters were deliberately derivative, but of the Charlton heroes of the '60s. Nite Owl is supposed to be the Silver Age Blue Beetle, although his look and gadgetry also gave him something of a Silver Age Batman vibe.

Do yourself a favor and pick up the trade paperback first. The book won't spoil you on the movie...the movie will spoil you on the book. No matter how good this film is, the best way to experience this story is in its original format.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  9. Darth_Pinche

Darth_Pinche Captain Captain

What a great trailer and it looks perfect. Impressive, most impressive.
    I wonder how the regular public will react, will they think it as a rip-off or a copy of other superheros since they are unfamiliar with the characters. Either way, it will be seen by many people, but if the ending if faithful, will piss off a lot of people too stupid to understand it. And that is a good thing.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is making me actually consider splurging for Absolute Watchmen since I don't own any Watchmen trades yet.

11. TheBrew

TheBrew Vice Admiral Admiral

I own the original run. All you need to know how much I am looking forward to this.

12. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pure win. Awesome trailer.

14. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

No, that's intentional.

I agree, where most trades are concerned, but Watchmen is one of the ones to really earn that name.

15. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I recently read the graphic novel for the first time because I read about the movie and was reading such good things about the story, and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to see the movie version, the trailer looks really good.

16. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Very cool trailer. I hope this turns out well, but if not, oh well, it's not like the graphic novel's going anywhere. :)

17. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never read Watchmen but I'm excited for the movie. It looks good. I'll read Watchmen before the film comes out however.

18. Theonethatis

Theonethatis Commander Red Shirt

My favorite comic story coming to life. This is just so perfect watching everyone in motion. March 6th 2009 is going to be the best birthday ever

19. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Why does Alan Moore think Watchmen is unfilmable? It doesn't matter if people view Night Owl as a Batman rip off since both are owned by DC comics anyways.

20. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think you guys were missing the point of Temis' post (and I say this because I was ready to counter with similar points before I re-read her post). If I read her post correctly, I think she's trying to give us a view of what those who never read the story will think, rather than serious issues she has with the trailer.

To which, I would reply, this movie is most likely aimed at those who have read the story and understand its history. I think it's meant to be esoteric.