I don't want Star Trek XI without the Shat

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Roxana, Jan 18, 2008.

1. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Well, I guess you are about to find out that NOT only Shat can be Kirk.

I would urge keeping an open mind. You never know - you might just enjoy yourself regardless. ;)

2. Roxana

Roxana Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh, I will go and see it and I hope I will enjoy it and be proven wrong! But we don't live in the 1960s, and society in the 1960s and its positive attitude made Trek. We're too cynical in the 200+ age and I predict a sentimental, consensus-driven, angst-ridden Kirk, rather than the dashing pioneer that Shat portrayed in the original series.

3. AC84

AC84 Captain Captain

Amen, brother! And this comes from a TOS fan.

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather have Shatner in the new movie than Nimoy.

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're going to have to accept Star Trek without Shatner eventually. Why not start now?

You mean you don't want to watch Star Trek anymore? Then don't. Nobody's got a gun to your head, right?

I'm all psyched up to see Shatnerless Trek for the next several decades. :D But most of the Trek I've enjoyed has been Shatnerless, so it's not going to be very jarring for me.

The essence of Star Trek depends on no one character or actor. The closest essential element that Trek has is the Enterprise, but even then, my favorite series was DS9, Enterpriseless. The essence of Trek is not a person or a thing, it is an IDEA. And it can easily continue forever.

5. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think you're Shat outta luck on this one.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good thing I don't give a Shat.

:D

We should probably stop this now.

7. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ yeah, before the Shat hits the fan.

The fan could sue.

8. Roxana

I disagree with the Vorta... sad as it is, I use Star Trek TOS to make my management decisions at work. Kirk was the quintessence of the assertive leader: approachable, listened to all sides, then made his own decision and took the flak. Which to my mind is an effective business management model.

The other Star Treks have merit (and my boss at work and I debate them incessantly) but even he admits, Kirk (Shatner) cut it over Picard every time in assertiveness and pure bloody mindedness.

I rely on Shatner's Kirk to help me in life (I'm sad) and I don't see how someone younger than me, who hasn't been involved in Star Trek for 40+ years and doesn't understand the relationships, priorities and nuances could deal with a major character like Kirk following the Shat's example.

But my colleagues tell me I think too deeply about this, so maybe I do. :(

9. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Shat on my face and tell me you love me!

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The original "Twilight Zone." "I Love Lucy." "The Andy Griffith Show."

11. Roxana

In England?

ETA: I wish they would show the Twilight Zone here.

12. ktanner3

ktanner3 Guest

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tha acting powers of shatner? We're not exactly talking about Marlon Brando and THE GODFATHER here.This type of thing has been done before.(ahem, James Bond) Hardly new territorial waters being treaded here.

13. Roxana

1) I hate James Bond. Violence doesn't solve problems, therefore Star Trek
    2) He's flawed. But so are we all. That's the joy of humanity. Shatner/Kirk CARED. That counts for a lot.

14. ktanner3

ktanner3 Guest

James Bond wasn't going to get away with quoting "prime directive" dogma to people shooting weapons at him.Bond was an agent of the British Secret service.How is he any different than people on an armed away team?And who are you trying to kid? Kirk was the most violent of all the star trek captains.Watch how hard he fights with the Organians to be allowed to wage war with the Klingons,"WE HAVE THE RIGHT!!!", He was hardly Mr.Pacifist.

Yes he cared a great deal. That's why he bedded every alien on the show.Seriously, what's so different about James Kirk and James Bond?

15. Roxana

Bond was a dick, Kirk wasn't. Bond is British,so am I, my friends and family watch it, but I can't bear his approach to management problems "I'll just spear the leader with my blowpipe or jump out of a platform that's about to suffocate me as it rises to the ceiling"

Come on. Kirk was far more intelligent than that.

16. MoonlightSinatra

MoonlightSinatra Lieutenant Red Shirt

Old Kirk is dead. That's about it. So, no Shatner.

17. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

18. ktanner3

ktanner3 Guest

Did Bond make mistakes? Sure he did. But then again, he didn't have a Vulcan there to mind meld for secrets, nor a doctor to cure him with a salt shaker.He had to get information the way a REAL agent does. And who gives a damn about spearing the leader of a drug pin that is killing innocent people or a crazy leader who is about to blow up the world to create his own race?

"Lets see, Goldfinger who has killed many innocent people is pointing a gun at me. There is no talking to him because I have already destroyed his greedy ambition to make his gold more profitable.He employed a henchman who used his razor hat to snap people's heads.I should try and reason with him and chance getting shot." :rolleyes:

19. Roxana

OK. So risk assess Kirk v Goldfinger for me.

20. Roxana

Bond was a Cold War artifact...surely