Summer Glau joining Dollhouse for at least 2 episodes

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TV Lowdown, Aug 27, 2009.

1. TV Lowdown

TV Lowdown Ensign Red Shirt

Very nice news to start the day with; Summer Glau has finally been confirmed for two episodes of Dollhouse. Obviously she's worked with Joss Whedon before on Angel, Firefly and Serenity and he's been keen to have her on Dollhouse for a while.

Here's the character details.

2. Trubinator

Trubinator Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked her in Firefly, but I hope to God she doesn't play another passive-aggressive schitzo girl because she's done that in just about everything she's ever been in. I'm also looking forward to some Felicia Day action in season two, even though the show is borderline mediocre.

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ If I recall correctly Whedon wanted her to play a chatterbox that was actually a nice person.

I'm still amazed that Whedon said in an interview that he felt the better Sci-Fi Friday program on Fox was cancelled.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Cool, she's watchable in anything she does and it will be particularly good to see her re-united with Whedon and co.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I don't think you're using "passive-aggressive" quite right. Passive-aggressive means letting out your aggression at people indirectly by making veiled comments or ranting about them behind their backs or otherwise avoiding direct confrontation. When River or Cameron got aggressive, there was nothing passive or indirect about it.

6. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Right.

Her characters are "Aggressive-Aggressive".

;)

7. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whedon was right. I watched both shows last season and I thought TSCC was better. Dollhouse might be too "high concept" for its own good. It will have trouble keeping casual viewers. It wouldn't surprise me if Season 2 turns out to be that last.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Agreed. Hubby was a fan of both shows and we were surprised when TSCC got canned but Dollhouse did not.

He will be VERY happy to hear that Summer will be one next season.

9. AntonyF

AntonyF Official Tahmoh Taster Rear Admiral

Let's face it, she's got the Glau Curse. The show will be canned now... although that was on the cards. I don't want it to be, as I worship at the altar of Tahmoh Penikett as is widely known. But let's face it.. it's gonna happen.

10. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad to see Summer will be around briefly as well.

I lost interest in TSCC so I'm not torn up over it going away. The movies were better and when the big bad Terminator can be avoided and beaten every week it dilutes the amount of terror you should feel when confronting one.

It getting canned was due to simply costing more to produce per episode. That was the straw that broke it.

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Yep. It's all about the budget.

13. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I have to agree with him. Like most of Whedon's work, I just can't get into Dollhouse, despite liking the cast. If Summer comes on board I'll give the show a look, at least for her episodes.

This is probably the least surprising bit of news this week. Anyone who saw the Summer and Eliza promos Fox aired when they put Terminator and Dollhouse back to back could see they had great chemistry. Hopefully some of that will be reflected on Dollhouse.

Alex

14. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I met him at a convention a couple of years ago.

He is magnificent.

:techman:

I'll be interested to see how Dollhouse does this year. I enjoyed the first season, maybe more than others did. I hope it succeeds.

15. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Summer Glau is excellent. Really looking forward to her arrival. I have great hopes for season 2. Tahmoh needs to get his shirt off more though. :devil:

16. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Is it too early to hope she will be recurring or even *gasp* made a regular at some point? Maybe if the show somehow makes it to a third season?

17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

From SciFi Wire:
    So yes, she is recurring, although we don't know how frequently.

18. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not like I care but what are the rules about guest stars and spoilers on shows?

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Guest stars aren't spoilers unless they're last-second uncredited surprises at the end of an episode (which means they're a returning actor). If they're playing a large role in the episode, they'll either appear in the opening teaser or their name will be in the guest credits.

20. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

That and Fox didn't really make much money from it. Fox was just airing it and getting the advertising revenue, but Warner Brothers was getting the greater financial rewards from the show (and taking the majority of the losses). WB was getting the revenue from the in episode promotions (which bring in more than commercials) and from the sales of merchandise related to the show. Fox was only getting the advertising dollars and they were decreasing because of the viewership numbers (it was the second most viewed program on TiVO and online).

As for the story, it did get slow for a while but at the end it picked up a lot. I have a feeling if T5 happens you're going to be unhappy with it because of what McG has recently said he'll do if he gets to do another film.