Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Wow, I've never felt that at all. I thought she was brilliant at making the two characters totally distinctive from one another. In particular, the scene in Never Fade Away, where Ilyria pretends to be Fred in order to soothe a dying Wesley was superbly acted by Amy. She just visibly changed her whole manner, voice, body language, everything, in front of your eyes.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I've seen Acker in a number of different roles and I think she has enormous range as an actress. I see no reason she couldn't play T'Prynn.

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have no idea why you would say that.

Well, her character there is obviously the sexed-up love interest, so I don't really think that demonstrates that she can't play a character who's a cold hardass.

5. Sho

Actually, the video gives a bit of a skewed impression in that Miranda isn't the love interest in the game. Rather, it's an option the player may pursue, but there are other potential partners, and accordingly one's relationship with Miranda may also be dominantly professional in tone and romance-free (as it was for me when I played the game). However, that's precisely what makes it so popular to upload the romance stuff to YouTube (due players who chose to go other ways being curious about it) and made this the easiest to find longish video sample of the character.

The character's personal story in the game is mostly about her family background and how it leads to her becoming involved with a terrorist organization the player character finds himself (or herself; one may play as a woman) making an uneasy alliance with, and how she tries to shield her sister from her father and going down a similar path as her's.

Do keep in mind these games are about 60 to 80 hours in length of which many hours are dialogue; there's room to show different sides of a character. I'll admit that for the lack of a better one that video was a fairly poor example though.

6. Chris McCarver

Chris McCarver Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Had another thought for T'ryssa Chen. Indonesian-born actress Tania Gunadi, currently voicing Miko Nakadai (who she plays very close, at least IMHO, to Trys' personality type) on Transformers Prime. http://taniagunadi.com/

Doesn't hurt that she's got a Trek credit to her name (playing an alien Enterprise bridge crew officer in Abrams' movie).

7. Christopher

^Yeah, I've seen some of Transformers Prime, and I see what you mean. She could possibly work.

8. Sci

Well, completely fair then. But Miranda still seems like a very different type of character from T'Prynn, so I don't agree that how Strahovski comes across as her is indicative of her ability to play T'Prynn, anymore than, say, how Heath Ledger played Patrick in Ten Things I Hate About You or Ennis in Brokeback Mountain was indicative of his ability to play the Joker in The Dark Knight.

9. Sho

^ Fair enough. Some day I may also revisit Chuck.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And if anyone doubts she can do intimidating I recommend they check out her characters in Alias and Grimm, she was pretty indimidating in both of those. I honestly never considered her for T'Prynn, but I could see her working, although my favorite for the role is still Jodi Lynn O'Keefe.

11. Sho

I know her role in Alias, too, and again, just didn't buy her hardnosed enemy agent performance. Ah well, I seem to be pretty much alone on that one ...

12. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Good choice!

Tom Skerrit would also make a good Blackjack.

13. Sci

I overlooked this earlier, but that is a really good casting choice--Nicolson is perfect for Blackjack.

14. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

(Takes a bow) :cool:

Okay...I actually don't deserve credit for this next one--it's by my buddy Admiral_Ranor.

Anyway...how do you all feel about Denzel Washington (with a moustache, of course) as Ben Zoma, Picard's XO on the Stargazer?

15. WarsTrek1993

WarsTrek1993 Captain Captain

Yeah, that's good, too! :cool:
    While we're casting rarely-discussed books/characters, how about some Shatnerverse casts:

Denzel Washington as Vulcan Captain Simm.
    William Fichtner as Captain John Lewinski.

Mark Wahlberg as Srell. (Vulcan Assassin).
    Ed Harris as Androvar Drake.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has anybody ever come up with someone for Jasminder Choudhury? She's one of the few characters I don't have anyone picked for in my cast lists I put together.

17. Christopher

Dave Mack favors Rekha Sharma for the role, but I envision her as more statuesque. My mental image of her is based on a woman from real life who helped me through a rough patch some years back. There's an actress named Janina Gavankar who looks somewhat like my image of the character, though she's a bit younger and shorter than I'd prefer.

Actually, come to think of it, there is one actress who fits my image of Choudhury very closely, and that's Marjean Holden (who played an enlisted crewperson in DS9: "Empok Nor" as well as having starring roles in Crusade and BeastMaster: The Series). She's not quite right for it because she's African-American rather than South Asian, but now that I think about it, I think she looks ethnically vague enough that she could maybe pass for Indian, or at least part-Indian -- who knows, it's quite possible that Choudhury could be of multiracial ancestry. Also she's a stuntwoman and martial artist, so she'd be physically suited for the role. The downside is that I've always found her kind of a mediocre actress.

18. Sho

19. Christopher

^Wow, that's quite different from Dave Mack's model for the character, Katherine Heigl.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

From one of my favorite Trek stories of all, "The Slow Knife" from Seven Deadly Sins:

- Andreas Katsulas as Jagul Hanno
    - Mira Furlan as Gul Tunol

Still working on Kein and Enkoa.

(and I totally love these Cardassian names, BTW :cardie: :) )