‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

*With "alien" spelled wrong.

(If they wanted to be authentic.)

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Someone said the Westboro Baptist Church actually used the protesting in the trailer as a rallying cry on Twitter, but I don't really care to go look for it.

3. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

ALLEN GO HOME.

And that's how the Flash was deported.

:)

4. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Couldn't find it, but did find out they tried to protest Nimoy's funeral. :crazy:

5. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

So true!

6. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

That would have been a nice touch.

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

New, shorter version of the BvS trailer so it can be the length of most trailers. The main editing was getting rid of the Lex's conversation with the senator.
    In this trailer the scene where Wonder Woman is attacked against the wall is ever-so-slightly longer. She was already ear the wall, and her shield seems to set afire. Something speeds up to try to take her out but it seems to only have stunned her. The shot is maybe a fraction of a second longer than it was but if you pause it right after Batman lands on Superman you can see what I mean.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=115&v=ZdIi_3rex_U[/yt]

8. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

Does anyone find it weird that there is not a single line of dialogue from Superman in this whole trailer? Perry White, Lois Lane and Ma Kent all talk to him but we never hear him speak.

I want to like Henry Cavill but I got no sense of Superman's personality in MOS except whatever I carried over from previous knowledge of the character. And frankly it was hard to reconcile what I knew about the character with how he was portrayed in MOS. I wonder what Superman's character arc (if any) will be in BvS.

Cavill seems to show some charisma in The Man From UNCLE. I wonder if this will be his Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit. :rommie:

9. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Clark does have a line.
    ""This bat vigilante is a one man reign of terror."

That's Cavill, spoken off screen, but the follow up line "No one cares about Clark Kent taking on the Batman" line is from Perry White. The way the trailer is cut together makes that tough to discern.

That said, your point is a good one. Donner wasn't afraid to let his Superman speak. Neither was Lester. But Singer and Snyder were.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

That could be a running joke in the film...every time he opens his mouth to say something, somebody interrupts him.

11. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Or perhaps they plan to make him a more eloquent writer than speaker (which is true of many writers). We could always, and I know it's a radical thought, wait to see the movie before passing judgement.

12. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Yes they could make him speak a lot.

My point is that in the first film, he didn't speak all that much. That said, Cavill generally did a good job.

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

More and more I find that statement to mean: "You're being negative in a way I disagree with so let's STFU!". No one ever seems to pull this out when people are being enthusiastic about a movie.

14. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes.

Movie studios release all of this pre-premiere publicity precisely because they want us to pass judgment on the movie before we see it. Of course their hope is that our judgment will be positive and we'll buy a ticket. However, it's still an effort to get us to 'judge' the film before we see it.

There is also the silly idea behind this statement that we should just go see every superhero movie that the studios churn out- regardless of whether it looks like our cup of tea- simply because, otherwise, we're "passing judgment" on a movie. That mentality is great for the studios' corporate bottom line but doesn't really tie in with the concept of being an informed consumer.

15. the G-man

There were two scenes in man of steel where Caville was quite charismatic. They were also the two scenes that were most totally at odds with the rest of the movie and the most consistent with a more classic and lighter interpretation of the character .

Specifically they were the scenes were Superman first took flight and the closing scene where he destroyed the drone and had a conversation with the general.

Those scenes showed that he could pull off the classic superman character.

Pity that so far Snyder and Company seem to have no real interest in giving us that Superman and instead grafting a grim and gritty persona onto him that often leaves Caville looking two dimensional.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen MOS in awhile but I remember really liking the scene where Lois visits Supes in prison and he's super polite to her. THAT's the Superman I grew up with. The noble boy scout.

17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

That's because enthusiasm is a likable, positive frame of mind and most adults are socially adroit enough not to express satisfaction at the opportunity to pee on other people's trees. The same can't be said of whinging about movies in general.

18. the G-man

Far better we should whine constantly about people not liking the same movies we do like our socially adroit friend Dennis here ;)

19. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought Superman came across plenty likeable throughout MOS. He may not have spoken much, but he had this kind of serene calm and innate goodness about him that felt very appropriate to the character. Like when he's talking to the priest or explaining his actions to Lois in the interrogation room or holding himself back from pummeling the trucker or telling the general "I am not your enemy." Cavill always spoke in this very calm and measured and reasonable kind of way that just felt perfect to me for Superman.

That said though... I will agree he comes across a bit dark and grim in the BvS trailer, and is painted much more as a villain than I would prefer. But it is just a trailer and I expect the final movie will depict him much like he was in MOS. So I'm not all that worried about it.

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Really? To me, the trailer seems to be painting Batman as more villainous than Superman. But eye of the beholder and all that.