Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

The plot thickens....

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Not really a denial but it's the best we're going to get for awhile.

3. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

If there is no truth to the rumor, they'd better state that ASAP otherwise there will be a lot of bitter fans. If there's no truth, it's in their power to let us know. I will be annoyed if there's nothing to it and they don't tell us straight away.

Mr Awe

4. Mr Awe

Was he the big guy who was the Absorbalof or whatever? (I try to forget that episode.)

Didn't know he was so loaded. But, if he's so rich, why does he need free video tapes?!

Well, the next time he throws a tantrum and threatens to not contribute anymore, they should take him up on that promise! I mean seriously, not contribute?! He's already not contributing.

Which story did he partially write?

Thanks for the info, BTW. I still think he's completely non-relevant!

5. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

^ At the time Levine started contributing, there were no Doctor Who releases on videotape. He in fact takes credit for stopping the junking in the late 70s.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't mean this in a bad way, but fans really don't matter to the BBC. If fans get their hopes dashed over the non-appearance of forty-plus year-old episodes, that's not going to keep them away from the new episodes. For the brand managers of Doctor Who, missing episodes are nothing more than a curiosity that have no bearing on what they're doing with the property. The people at the BBC that would have the most interest in missing episodes would be BBC Worldwide since the episodes would give them more product to sell, but BBC Worldwide doesn't drive the brand.

7. Allyn Gibson

"Attack of the Cybermen." Officially credited to Paula Moore, Eric Saward's ex-girlfriend.

8. The Nth Doctor

And both of them vehemently deny Levine's involvement.

9. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Levine

You might also want to check out this recently published book which has plenty of juicy Levine tidbits and is also one of the best, if at times shocking, behind-the-scenes accounts of DW production.

You are right, however. These days he is completely irrelevant, but worth watching for being highly amusing, albeit completely unintentionally.

10. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

The only thing that seems to be consistent in all accounts is that Eric Saward wrote the final script. Who wrote the outlines, draft scripts, etc. is all up for debate.

11. Allyn Gibson

If you're really curious about Levine, his role in Doctor Who history, and his unique views on the series, you should find three hours and listen to Doctor Who Online's interview with the man. Well, interview is the wrong word; they start off with a question, and then Levine talks for three hours about his interests.

Part One
    Part Two

Frankly, I spent much of the three hours with my jaw hanging open.

12. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Victor Kennedy the guy who takes the fun out of being a fan of the Doctor is pretty much Ian.

These were tapes of unedited Studio Sessions and the like.

He also appointed himself "Official Continuity Advisor" to the series back in the 1980's (and still managed not to point out to anyone what the Silurian's third eye was used for.)

His actual job is a Music Producer and that's where he made all his money.

13. Mr Awe

My very slight curiosity about the guy has been satisfied so no need for more research! However, I do plan to get that book because I am particularly interested in JNT's time. Davison is "my Doctor" even though I started watching with Tom Baker.

Mr Awe

14. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Cool, it's excellent.... and terrible all at the same time :D

Meanwhile, the Radio Times is the latest to weigh in...

15. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

On the BBC's potential secrecy, wild thought here.. if the BBC did retrieve some lost episodes could they can incorporating some of the footage in the anniversary special. What a shock it would be for a big Doctor Who fans to see a clip from EoTD lets say. Clips could also be used for AiTaS as well.

16. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Maybe not, but the only reason the original show is on DVD is because it sells, and sells in viable numbers. It doesn't sell to kids and fans of the new show, it sells to fans of the old show (who admittedly could be kids !).

They aren't just simple transfers either - a lot of work goes into some of them and the bonus content. Goodwill from enthusiasts only takes you so far - there IS support for old Who within the BBC.

17. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

They could get an army of people to work on restoring the footage for free if they wanted to, that how desperate some fans are to get these back.

18. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I wonder what the release schedule would be like should there really be a large number of shows. Are the restoration team even capable of tackling that much work in a reasonable time ?

19. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

So now we're shifting from Zambia to Sierra Leone, which we all know lost it's archive in 2001 during the civil war.

And it's a TIE archive? That would make the most sense as it would be likely to have MOST of the serials ever sold around the world.

The rumour keeps shifting too much for my liking...

20. The Nth Doctor

Or more likely Radio Times got their facts mixed up in regards to Sierra Leone.