Malibu DS9 comics

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jsplinis, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Jsplinis

Jsplinis Lieutenant Red Shirt

I didn't have the opportunity to read the Malibu DS9 comics when they were coming out. That was during my comic reading peak and I was following way too many books. That and college studies kept me from them. But the exposure I did have to them left me with the impression that the art was beautiful and consistent.

I was thinking of finally getting to them by including them in my marathon I just started and I was wondering a couple things.

Were the stories as good as the art? Or as good as DC's Trek at the time?

Since they came out while the show was still be made there is the possibility for inconsistencies. How does the series and its spin-offs hold up with canon as we now know it. Are there any contradictions? And if so, how bad and how many?

Thanks and have fun,
    jsplinis

2. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

3. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed them at the time. Make of that what you will. :)

4. Jsplinis

Jsplinis Lieutenant Red Shirt

How about with ds9 relaunch. Do the Malibu comics coincide well with those too or do they contradict? Doesn't Ro appear on the station in the comics before the novels? Does this contradict the backstory for the relaunch or do they leave it open for her to be able to have been there before?

5. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the surface, they're contradictory. But with a little creative wiggling, I think you can adjust Ro's appearance in the comic to more or less fit with the DS9 Relaunch. I think it's a bit easier than fitting in the pre-relaunch novel Wrath of the Prophets, anyway.

Don't worry about contradictions, all things considered, they're few and far between, and the majority of the stories in Malibu's run are good. Far better than Marvel's attempt at a DS9 comic a few years later. There's a Tom Riker story of which I'm particularly fond.