2013 NBA Offseason Thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by HaventGotALife, Jun 30, 2013.

1. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Well they did have him examined by their medical staff, for what that's worth. Don't know if thye had access to any recent diagnostic testing though.

As for not working out, not sure about this one. Maybe Andrew simply told the teams that he is not where he intends to be when camp opens in a few months. I don't know how far out he is from his last surgeries. Working out at this time might not show much.

After the examination, the Cavs apparently felt that the $6 million was worth the risk all things considered.

2. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Just please... no bowling.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

But it does count against the cap. The NBA has guaranteed money. That money still counts. The only real exceptions are if the team exercises their amnesty clause (provided they still have one, since they don't get it every year) or the player suffers a career ending injury (the Miami Heat had this advantage when Alonzo Mourning's salary came off the books, the team signed other players, and then Mourning made a comeback that allowed the team to restore his old salary).

See this link for more info: "Any money paid to a player is included in team salary, even if the player is no longer playing or has retired."

Don't worry, you'll hear plenty of stories about how close he is to coming back and how much he's looking forward to playing Basketball. They might even be true.

I'm surprised Bynum actually signed a contract like this so quickly. IMO, it's the only contract a team should have signed with him, but he seemed to indicate that he had a higher value for himself.

4. gblews

Okay, learn something new everyday.
    Someone, maybe his agent, convinced him (or maybe Andrew realized on his own), that for now, his status is that of an NBA journeyman -- well actually less than that until he shows he can actually get on the court and stay there awhile.

I think Andrew has in the past, and still has, every intention of playing. It has always depended on what his knees do once he starts working out.

5. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We've had our first deal fall through. The Dallas Mavericks will not sign Devin Harris to a 3-year, 9-million dollar deal after it has been revealed that he has a broken toe during a medical examination before the signing. Monta Ellis, on the other hand, is joining Jose Calderon in the backcourt. The Mavs, despite blowing up a Championship-winning team (Jason Kidd, Caron Butler, JJ Barea, Jason Terry, Deshawn Stevenson, Corey Brewer, Tyson Chandler all shown the door) from 2011, for Dwight Howard and Chris Paul, do not look like a playoff team as of right now. What's worse is that Dirk Nowitzki took a paycut to stay with them and give them the cap room to make moves.

6. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Cuban's had a string of bad luck lately, that's for sure...

7. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Dallas isn't the prime FA destination it used to be due to the new cap restrictions. I don't know that Cuban wants to incur luxury tax penalties, so he's limited in what he can do to sign big-name players.

--Sran

8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

So far, I like this new Warriors Management. They lose Jack and Landry, but get Speights (Who admittedly I don't know much about) and the big signing was Andre Igudala. Not only that, but David Lee is still on the team after the Dwight Howard saga. It is nice when a team that you follow finally makes some big moves in the offseason to get better and look on paper to be one of the best teams in the Western Conference. Yeah you can't ignore teams like the Thunder, Grizzlies, Spurs, and even the Clippers, but I can see the Warriors getting into either the top 4 or no lower than 5 next season.

9. HaventGotALife

I couldn't disagree more. I think Speights' numbers are are inflated for playing on a bad team. Landry and Jack weren't just key to the bench last season, they were there at the end of games and not re-signing them does one thing: It puts more pressure on Thompson, Lee (injuries), and Curry (injury problems) to be there every game with superhuman performances. Harrison Barnes moves to the bench. They don't need Iguodala and it will stunt his growth playing sixth man, making it more likely he walks when he can. Iggy can't hit the outside shot. He's primarily a slasher and with David Lee and Andrew Bogut clogging the lane, it will be difficult to get spacing. I watched a lot of Golden State last season. They are a jump-shooting team and now they have 3 starters that aren't great jump shooters. I think it was good to get rid of the contracts they did in the Utah deal. But as a Golden State Warriors fan, I am unhappy with this offseason.

And you casually throw the Clippers in there? That backcourt is amazing. Jared Dudley is a great upgrade over Caron Butler. They have a deep frontcourt as well. They can rebound from every position on the floor. They spread the floor and have length to defend. Blake Griffin holds up, pencil them into the Conference Finals.

And you put Memphis in the contending category? They have no perimeter game. They get bogged down in the paint and no one can hit more than an open three. And they go for long stretches where even that's not possible, especially if it's not wide-open. They were exposed last season. They relied too heavily on Prince and Bayless to break that up and that is why San Antonio shredded them. Take away one of the bigs (Zach Randolph is a shell of himself) and watch them lose by 15 points in a playoff game. They beat a Thunder team without Russell Westbrook, and needed to come back in the series to do it. Blake Griffin doesn't get hurt, they don't make it out of the first round. I love the Grizzlies, but they suck. They won't be making another run like that. They will pay for giving up OJ Mayo and Rudy Gay and letting their coach walk.

10. gblews

But jump shooting teams don't win championships and even though GS had a pretty good season last year (by Warriors' standards), they were far from being a championship contender. For the Warriors to step up to the next level, they'll have to become (among other things) a more versatile offensive team than they were last season.

This is what Marc Jackson is angling for.

11. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Based on what I have been reading on these pick-ups, the Warriors were looking for more Grit and it sounds like Speights could provide that. Also, signing Douglas and O'Neil might take some pressure off Curry, who was used way too much last season. Yeah, losing Landry and Jack were not all that great, but it seems like they were trying to replace them with more grit and depth, and that can't be a bad thing.

As for casually mentioning the Clippers, I was doing it complimentary. The Clippers/Warriors games were fun to watch last season and I can't wait to see those games this season. Hell, I can't wait till this season starts.

12. gblews

Rumor is that the Clippers and Knicks have interest in Metta World Peace. Both teams could use him even at his current age. Before Met joined the Lakers I dismissed him as a talented but mentallly ill hooligan. After 4 years, I can say, he definitely is talented.

But seriously, even though he can sometimes be a wildman, MWP is of the warrior class -- the kind of player every team needs in order to win a ring. He instantly provided the Lakers with that, "look out MF's, anything might happen now", aura. I'll never forget him getting into a tussling match with Paul Pierce during the tip off in game 1 of the Finals in 2010. Pierce then played the rest ot the series like he was afraid of Met.

I considered him one of our clutch guys right after Kobe and Fish. The dude is a total team guy who goes hard EVERY game. Great teammate who does whatever is asked of him night in, night out. If the Lakers ever create a "ring of honor" or something, for great Lakers who will never make the HOF, guys like Met, Mike Cooper, A.C. Green, Fish, Horry, etc, should all belong.

I'll be rooting for him with whomever he plays for (except against the Lakes). Hope it's the Knicks so we won't have to see him 4 times.

13. HaventGotALife

Clippers have added Byron Mullens (Bobcats). Dallas has signed journeyman bigman Samuel Dalembert (Bucks). The Blazers are exploring trade options for LaMarcus Aldridge because it is clear he will not re-sign in 2 years. The Raptors have brought in DJ Augustin from the Indiana Pacers.

14. gblews

Wait, have they signed him? I just read that they were still talking.

15. Captain Clark Terrell

This is interesting. Any indication where he might end up?

--Sran

16. HaventGotALife

Chicago passed on him already. Stupid, in my book. He and Derrick Rose would be ready to win a title together (although they would have to give up Joakim Noah).

17. Captain Clark Terrell

I tend to agree. Aldridge would be a great fit with the Bulls. Losing Noah would be tough, but if the Bulls amnesty Boozer as planned and allow Deng to walk, they'll have cap room to sign another player next summer and build around a new core of Rose, Aldridge, Butler, etc.

--Sran

18. HaventGotALife

Nate Robinson has joined the Denver Nuggets, letting yet another good player out of the Chicago Bulls' locker room. Someone asked if Byron Mullens had joined the Clippers yet, I was wrong, he hadn't, but he has now, with a 2-year contract. The Golden State Warriors won the Las Vegas Summer League title this week. Team USA is holding camp right now and Coach K is back on the bench, going for the third-straight Gold Medal in the 2016 Olympics. Jermaine O'Neal has joined the Golden State Warriors, Dj Augustin has officially joined the Toronto Raptors, Many suitors still out there for Mike Miller, who was amnestied by the Miami Heat earlier this offseason. Greg Oden has met with the Miami Heat and is weighing his options on a comeback.

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Will the Lakers be able to make the playoffs next season?

20. HaventGotALife

I think that depends on Kobe Bryant. The Western Conference is very competitive and with an aging Pau Gasol, no Metta, and Kobe's health in jeopardy, I don't know.

I think the Clippers are the favorites to win the West, with Oklahoma City not far behind. San Antonio is probably 3rd in the Conference. Houston could flip-flop with San Antonio. Golden State and Denver are still there. The Pelicans look a lot better on paper this year. Memphis will probably be a 7 or 8 seed. Utah and Phoenix look much improved.

It depends on Kobe.